MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

If we could only acquire two .. which two would you want most?

Although we can't be sure what kind of cap room will be created in the next week or two, at this moment, the Rams' coffers are not overflowing with cash. Hence the question: If the Rams could acquire only two legitimate free agents before the draft, which two would you wish the Rams to sign? Please try and be realistic as far as the current cap is concerned, as in one big bucks player, and one affordable player.

My two:
    Jason Brown
    James Butler

djdeeznutz Guest

Re: If we could only acquire two .. which two would you want most?

My two would be:

MLB Channing Crowder
    NT Colin Cole

Colin Cole is a little under the radar however i want to sure up the NT position before the draft cuz id rather go with a SLB or a CB witht he 2nd rounder. And Channing Crowder is cheap and going to be great for us. Both are also young they are both in there mid 20s. Cole is 325 pounds (good for a NT)

Jason Brown i great but i see him getting a huge deal and i dont think he will want to come to St. Louis. I see us taking Jonathan Luigs or Eric Wood in the 3rd. Both are big at 6-4 (good for a Center).

Also i think no matter what we will get either James Butler or Gibril Wilson whoever is cheaper.
    Last edited by djdeeznutz; -02-21-2009 at 04:50 PM.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

Bart Scott
    James Butler

A new SS is going to be key, even more so than a MLB. I'd love to see Scott come in though and just be a hard nosed player that hounds the ball. He's a big time run stopper and it'd be nice to have him gaurd the middle.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Well, the low cost is easy for me... James Butler from the Giants. It just makes too much sense.

As for my high money guy... I'd go for Crowder or Vilma. We could use an upgrade to our linebacking corps, and I don't know if we'll be in a position to be able to address it early enough in the draft, especially if we go with two offensive linemen like I want to in the first two rounds.

Weddle is offline Registered User

Gibril Wilson
    Bart Scott

We need a solid safety and someone to play MLB. If we can't get Scott, Crowder will do

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I'd like a center and the highest on my list is Jason Brown. This way we can free up our second round pick (presuming we take an OT in the first) to use on a linebacker or wide receiver.

Then... perhaps James Butler, because he's a graduate of the Spagunolo school of Playoff Defense and won't come at a high price.

Perhaps the greatest reason I'd like these two specifically is that it really frees us up to pursue trade options at the top of the second. If (and it's a big IF) we can deal Holt for a third round pick, I wouldn't be against using it to move back into the late first if a player like Heyward-Bey or Laurinitis starts to slip. That way we would still be able to address the other position of interest in round three, and have just about all our bases covered in terms of need for starting players.

I'd be over the moon with an offseason similar to the one described. Not only do we fill all our major holes (with the notable exception of FB) early, but we do it in a manner that will not impede on the Salary Cap.

Drummerman1011 is offline Registered User

I agree with the Jason Brown talk, but realistically I don't see him coming to our team. It depends how much cap space we free up because a team like the Dolphins make give Jason Brown a huge contract to which he can not deny. In that case if Jason Brown is unavailable then I think Matt Birk is a good idea.

The second person is James Butler, guy is affordable and a impact player on Spags defense. No brainer there.

I would say a MLB for the high price free agent, but I am really curious what Bulger can do with a decent line. I still have hope for him.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Jason Brown
    Bart Scott -- Truly I would rather have Albert Haynesworth but thats not realistic

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Bart Scott
    James Butler