39thebeast is offline Registered User

If we draft Dorsey

If the Dolphins take Chris Long we will most likely take Ellis or Dorsey(if we don't trade down). Many people have asked what do we do with Carriker then. I'm not for completely removing him from UT just to put an unproven rookie there, but I would pull a page out of superbowl winning DC Steve Spagnulo's book. I would utilize him like he used Justin Tuck DE/UT. Tuck had pass rush ability, but was also excellent at defending the run and was very effective at both positions. I think Carriker has similar traits, but would have to loose some weight though

What Say Ye?

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: If we draft Dorsey

Well I was convinced by a post I read on the boards earlier. Some fear moving Carriker back to DE, but they mentioned Mike Furrey, how we went from WR, to Safety, back to WR and led in receptions (I dont remember if he led Lions, NFC, NFL) but he obviously did better in his main position.

I'm starting to think that if Chris Long is gone by our pick, that Ellis or Dorsey could still be a good pick for us. We could have our defensive coaches training Carriker back in his DE position. And have a young stud at DT.

I see how your post is going, and I love it. We can move Carriker back and forth from DE and DT. Which would work really good (if we train him well).

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

I personally believe it is not of the question for Vernon Gholston to make the jump to #2 after a great showing at the combine. If you remember in 2006, Mario Williams originally started out projected to the Raiders at #7, similar to the Jets or Patriots taking him in the middle of the top 10. After the combine, Mario flew up and eventually went 1st overall, but would have also gone #2 to New Orleans. If Gholston is a marvel at the combine and impresses both physically and with interviews, I would not be surprised to see the Rams take him at #2 or possibly trade down and take him.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Many people have asked what do we do with Carriker then. I'm not for completely removing him from UT just to put an unproven rookie there, but I would pull a page out of superbowl winning DC Steve Spagnulo's book. I would utilize him like he used Justin Tuck DE/UT.
    So when Carriker is lining up at UT, where is Dorsey lining up?

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Well I was convinced by a post I read on the boards earlier. Some fear moving Carriker back to DE, but they mentioned Mike Furrey, how we went from WR, to Safety, back to WR and led in receptions (I dont remember if he led Lions, NFC, NFL) but he obviously did better in his main position.
    So the implication is that Carriker would do better at his "main position" of defensive end, even though from a skill standpoint he's more suited to be a defensive tackle in a 4-3 scheme?

I think people get too hung up on the fact that Carriker was a DE prospect out of college.

keith m. klink Guest

whatever he plays best and is best suited too play, is the position he should be left at . thats it .