Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37
  1. #16
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,373
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: If we draft a QB.

    Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    If we do pick Su, a good part of our cap money (if there is one) will be tied up in the DL.
    Not really. Besides Chris Long, the Rams don't have another DL signed to a high priced contract for 2010 or beyond.

    Also, keep in mind the 2009 salary cap was somewhere in the $120 million range. Assuming that a 2010 cap (were it to exist) would be a similar figure, how would Long's and Suh's contracts account for "a good part" of that amount?


  2. #17
    ludairv's Avatar
    ludairv is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    277
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: If we draft a QB.

    Tim Tebow ....second round ....end of story....becomes the next Steve Young>>

  3. #18
    The Optimistic Lamb's Avatar
    The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    351
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: If we draft a QB.

    Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    And as I have pointed out earlier, 50% of our 1st round draft picks in the last 10 years have been defensive linemen, and we still find it hard to get a whiff of the opponents QB.
    I think that as long we have a question mark at QB, we will be a bad team.
    First you can't blame previous draft failures on the new regime. That doesn't make any logical sense. CUZ THEY WEREN'T THERE!!! SO STOP.

    Second, NO player, at any position has been as dominant as Suh has all season. What can you possibly call into question to cast doubt on Suh? Until you have a reason, you have no argument.

  4. #19
    AtlantaRamFan's Avatar
    AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Age
    25
    Posts
    823
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: If we draft a QB.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludairv View Post
    Tim Tebow ....second round ....end of story....becomes the next Steve Young>>
    If it was that easy to predict the next Steve Young, I'm pretty sure he'd go first overall. Unless you were being sarcastic, and in that case..yes, problem solved

    As per the original question, it usually takes QB's a couple years to develop, as you seemed to understand in your post. Even Peyton Manning sucked his first year. Somehow I have a hard time imagining the coaches making a 3-5 round QB a day one starter. Even the 1st rounders must earn their playing time.

  5. #20
    swatter555's Avatar
    swatter555 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    484
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: If we draft a QB.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    First you can't blame previous draft failures on the new regime. That doesn't make any logical sense. CUZ THEY WEREN'T THERE!!! SO STOP.

    Second, NO player, at any position has been as dominant as Suh has all season. What can you possibly call into question to cast doubt on Suh? Until you have a reason, you have no argument.
    I will make whatever argument I want, you don't have to reply.

    I didn't blame anyone for anything, I was simply stating a fact. The organization has focused on the DL in the draft the last decade. If Su is picked, that would be 3 out of the last 4 first round picks would be spent on the DL. The fact that so many people would pick the next available DT if Su were not available only speaks to the Rams failure in general to get quality out of their draft picks on the DL. That is simply stating the obvious, you may disagree, but I don't really care.

    And Su is not a lock to be an NFL star, period. He could turn out to be the biggest bust in 32 years, noboby really knows. I like his chances to contribute if the Rams pick him, but you need to adjust your expectations to a more realistic level. There are tons of dominant college players who can never transition to the NFL, that is simply a fact.

  6. #21
    PeoriaRam's Avatar
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: If we draft a QB.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludairv View Post
    Tim Tebow ....second round ....end of story....becomes the next Steve Young>>
    So we become the Buccaneers in this scenario?

  7. #22
    PeoriaRam's Avatar
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: If we draft a QB.

    Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    I will make whatever argument I want, you don't have to reply.

    I didn't blame anyone for anything, I was simply stating a fact. The organization has focused on the DL in the draft the last decade. If Su is picked, that would be 3 out of the last 4 first round picks would be spent on the DL. The fact that so many people would pick the next available DT if Su were not available only speaks to the Rams failure in general to get quality out of their draft picks on the DL. That is simply stating the obvious, you may disagree, but I don't really care.
    Considering how most teams that aren't run by mouth breathing idiots like Shawmunt are reluctant to get rid of their defensive linemen, the draft, and early in the draft, are among the best places to get defensive linemen. Additionally, it's not like we're trying to fill one position, but rather 3 or 4. More picks will logically be used on this position.

    And Su is not a lock to be an NFL star, period. He could turn out to be the biggest bust in 32 years, noboby really knows. I like his chances to contribute if the Rams pick him, but you need to adjust your expectations to a more realistic level. There are tons of dominant college players who can never transition to the NFL, that is simply a fact.
    And yet....very few have been QUITE as dominant and productive as him. His production was on par with entire defensive lines this season. And the Big XII has some pretty good offensive lines in the league.
    Last edited by PeoriaRam; -01-21-2010 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Clarified who is a mouth breathing idiot

  8. #23
    Blankman17's Avatar
    Blankman17 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Age
    31
    Posts
    269
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: If we draft a QB.

    Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Considering how most teams that aren't run by mouth breathing idiots like Shawmunt are reluctant to get rid of their defensive linemen, the draft, and early in the draft, are among the best places to get defensive linemen. Additionally, it's not like we're trying to fill one position, but rather 3 or 4. More picks will logically be used on this position.

    And yet....very few have been QUITE as dominant and productive as him. His production was on par with entire defensive lines this season. And the Big XII has some pretty good offensive lines in the league.
    Florida, Alabama and Texas's ENTIRE defensive lines didn't have Suh's stats in most cases.

    I'd invite you to watch Texas/Nebraska in the Big XII Championship game and enjoy watching Suh knock off a tackle, yank out of a guard's hold (We don't do holding in the Big XII) and push off an All-American center to take McCoy down.

  9. #24
    swatter555's Avatar
    swatter555 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    484
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: If we draft a QB.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blankman17 View Post
    Florida, Alabama and Texas's ENTIRE defensive lines didn't have Suh's stats in most cases.

    I'd invite you to watch Texas/Nebraska in the Big XII Championship game and enjoy watching Suh knock off a tackle, yank out of a guard's hold (We don't do holding in the Big XII) and push off an All-American center to take McCoy down.

    Like I said, I like his chances. At the same time, watching the best game of his life isn't the best ruler to measure him.

  10. #25
    Blankman17's Avatar
    Blankman17 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Age
    31
    Posts
    269
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: If we draft a QB.

    Fair enough, but keep in mind these are All-Big XII and All-American OL on Texas' squad, however being fortunate enough to watch Suh from snap #1 of his career until his last, his consistency especially under the Pelini brothers has been astounding.

    Now I am not saying he will come in and absolutely tear down the joint, but I too feel that he has an excellent shot. More so than just being a guy that is versatile in his role, he is cerebral. He wants to learn. If he doesn't start, he wants to find out how he can and what he's doing incorrectly. I guess to paraphrase Herm Edwards, he plays to win the game.

    I guess another good question to ask is were any of the current defensive tackles compared initially to Sapp or especially White? Kiper saying such things as the best DT he's seen in 32 years? Yeah, the hype's there, but it's there for a reason.

    The 2009 Blackshirts (Nebraska defense) was able to flourish because of Suh. People were so busy trying to keep him in check everyone else was able to make plays (See Matt O'Hanlon's 3 interceptions in the Holiday Bowl).

    If I were to compare Clausen to Suh, I'd say okay, show me Jimmy picking off passes and taking them to the house, but that's not fair or realistic. Clausen's a very good QB, no bones about it, but as poor of a situation as he may have been in at Notre Dame, he's not the answer for the Rams at QB long term.

    He could come in and probably start for 2-3 years, standard NFL life span and do well, but I question his durability. In fact, most of the QBs in this year's draft, I question that very thing especially after Bradford got laid out and McCoy got tenderized by Suh then Bama flattens him for the grill.

    I know I sound like a broken record, but I think FA is our best chance for a solid starter, get an accurate pupil like Skinner or LeFevour and assess next year. Taking off the homer glasses, I truly believe Suh would take the Rams out of the top five pecking order in the 2011 draft. Time will tell if he's even picked, but I think Spags knows a prize when he sees it. Whomever gets Suh will get something special. I just hope it's us.

  11. #26
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,373
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: If we draft a QB.

    Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    The organization has focused on the DL in the draft the last decade. If Su is picked, that would be 3 out of the last 4 first round picks would be spent on the DL. The fact that so many people would pick the next available DT if Su were not available only speaks to the Rams failure in general to get quality out of their draft picks on the DL.
    All the more reason to draft arguably the best one to come out in quite a while, right?

    Of the four first-round defensive tackles the Rams have drafted in the last decade, three are with new teams and one may not be back with the Rams next season. It's because of those past failures by past decision makers that this position still needs to be addressed.

    What better way to do so than by selecting one of the most heralded defensive prospects to come along in recent years?

  12. #27
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,558
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: If we draft a QB.

    Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    Su
    We'll get tech support right out to fix your "h" key (seriously... if you want to criticize the guy, fine... but at least spell his name correctly).

  13. #28
    The Optimistic Lamb's Avatar
    The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    351
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: If we draft a QB.

    Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    ...speaks to the Rams failure...

    The "Ram's" failure? 99% of the organization has completely changed. WHO are you referring to when you say Rams organization? Devaney? Spags? Rosenbloom? Cuz it sounds like you are blaming the new regime for past failures.
    Last edited by The Optimistic Lamb; -01-23-2010 at 03:04 AM.

  14. #29
    PeoriaRam's Avatar
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: If we draft a QB.

    Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    Like I said, I like his chances. At the same time, watching the best game of his life isn't the best ruler to measure him.
    I'd actually argue his game against Missouri was better. He single-handedly turned the tide for Nebraska.

  15. #30
    swatter555's Avatar
    swatter555 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    484
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: If we draft a QB.

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    We'll get tech support right out to fix your "h" key (seriously... if you want to criticize the guy, fine... but at least spell his name correctly).
    I am not criticizing SuH, I am simply urging for some to have more realistic expectations. Drafting Suh may be the best course of action, I am only saying that it is not a slam dunk because the Rams are so desperate for a QB. In addition, it is too early to stake out a solid position on the #1 pick, many things can happen between now and then.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Jim Thomas Live - January 12, 2010
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -01-13-2010, 11:38 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: -03-18-2009, 03:53 PM
  3. Rams Draft: Throw Away the Report Cards
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: -05-01-2008, 12:31 AM
  4. J. Thomas Live, 12-27
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -12-28-2007, 11:46 AM
  5. Barry Waller - Draft review part 1
    By RamDez in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -04-03-2005, 12:07 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •