Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 37 of 37
  1. #31
    swatter555's Avatar
    swatter555 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    484
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: If we draft a QB.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    The "Ram's" failure? 99% of the organization has completely changed. WHO are you referring to when you say Rams organization? Devaney? Spags? Rosenbloom? Cuz it sounds like you are blaming the new regime for past failures.
    What previous decision makers have done does not occur in a vacuum. The fact is we already have 2 #1 picks on the DL and we need talent in other positions, which are even more talent deficient than the DL. That is simply the situation we face.


  2. #32
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,354
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: If we draft a QB.

    Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    What previous decision makers have done does not occur in a vacuum. The fact is we already have 2 #1 picks on the DL and we need talent in other positions, which are even more talent deficient than the DL. That is simply the situation we face.
    You realize that DE and DT are different positions, right? I'm sure you do, and I'm sure that when you reference two first round picks on the DL, you're doing it to make your argument stronger even though you realize one of those picks was a DE (Long), not a DT.

    The truth of the matter is the only first round DT we have on this team is Carriker, a pick from three years ago who may not even make the team. And again, it's because of past failures by past decision makers that this position still needs to be addressed.

    Arguing that we simply can't draft a DT in the first round this year because we drafted one in the first round three years ago and then some before that simply doesn't hold much water logically, IMO.

  3. #33
    swatter555's Avatar
    swatter555 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    484
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: If we draft a QB.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You realize that DE and DT are different positions, right? I'm sure you do, and I'm sure that when you reference two first round picks on the DL, you're doing it to make your argument stronger even though you realize one of those picks was a DE (Long), not a DT.

    The truth of the matter is the only first round DT we have on this team is Carriker, a pick from three years ago who may not even make the team. And again, it's because of past failures by past decision makers that this position still needs to be addressed.

    Arguing that we simply can't draft a DT in the first round this year because we drafted one in the first round three years ago and then some before that simply doesn't hold much water logically, IMO.

    Just as DT and DE are different positions, they are apart of the defensive line. Just as SE and FL are different positions, they are WRs. Just like FS and SS and different positions, they are still conisidered safeties. While these positions are different, they are similiar enough to be classified under the same general catagory, and players often switch between positions within that general classification when the need arises. It is not a simple argument tactic when I say DL.

    With that out of the way, the point is this: We have other positions on the field that require talent, not simply the DL. We are already waiting for the other 1st rnd picks to develop, it is not infallible logical to throw another rookie in the mix, who might also need time to develop.

    I am simply urging a balanced and cool approach to the draft, not locking-on to a hot jet exhaust like a heat-seeking missile. That is why we suck right now.

  4. #34
    PeoriaRam's Avatar
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: If we draft a QB.

    The only guy we are waiting on to develop on the line is Adam Carriker. Who may or may not be a DT next season, and may or may not be on the roster next season. Ryan and the dude who got hurt in the Packers game and whose name at present escapes me don't really have much ceiling left.

    The 4-3 calls for 2 DTs, and Suh looks to be an upgrade raw over what we have now. This drafting strategy seems unbalanced...but only until you remember that football teams are built on the lines. Would you rather our foundation be solid granite, or this sand-clay mixture we have at present.

  5. #35
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,354
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: If we draft a QB.

    Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    With that out of the way, the point is this: We have other positions on the field that require talent, not simply the DL.
    No one suggested otherwise. But the DT position does require talent, too.

    The only first round DT the Rams have on their roster right now is Adam Carriker, who was drafted three years ago and who couldn't beat out Gary Gibson for a starting job next to Clifton Ryan before getting hurt in the pre-season. The Rams using first round picks on the position in the past is largely irrelevant since most of those players are gone and the position still needs to be addressed.

    So the question is, do the Rams remain open minded to drafting Suh despite the organization having spent previous first round picks on the unit, or do they look away from arguably the best prospect available simply because of what previous people in their shoes did?

    I think if you want to look for a good reason as to why a team may suck, letting past selections dictate future selections would be a good place to start. I wonder where Calvin Johnson or Mario Williams would be if their teams had decided to pass on them because they'd already devoted a previous first round pick to their respective positions or units?

  6. #36
    The Optimistic Lamb's Avatar
    The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    351
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: If we draft a QB.

    swatter555, do you think just by drafting any QB our team will turn around? WR's are droping passes, the O-line is banged up pretty bad, what could any QB do? Bake the cake before you add the frosting.

    Build the foundation, before you take the playmakers.
    Suh is both a foundational piece and a playmaking piece.
    Last edited by The Optimistic Lamb; -01-25-2010 at 02:21 PM.

  7. #37
    Blankman17's Avatar
    Blankman17 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Age
    31
    Posts
    269
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: If we draft a QB.

    Suh is not only a cornerstone, you can bring his wheelbarrow full of awards and build one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Jim Thomas Live - January 12, 2010
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -01-13-2010, 11:38 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: -03-18-2009, 03:53 PM
  3. Rams Draft: Throw Away the Report Cards
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: -05-01-2008, 12:31 AM
  4. J. Thomas Live, 12-27
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -12-28-2007, 11:46 AM
  5. Barry Waller - Draft review part 1
    By RamDez in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -04-03-2005, 12:07 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •