Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By r8rh8rmike
  • 1 Post By AtlantaRamFan
  • 2 Post By Nick
  • 1 Post By THOLTFAN81

Thread: If we draft Trent Richardson.....

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

If we draft Trent Richardson.....

What does that do to Steven Jackson's attitude? Will he accept the mentoring role or disrespect the new comer? I ask because if I remember correctly when we drafted Steven Jackson, he and Marshall Faulk didn't have the greatest relationship. So now Jackson's role is reversed being the NFL veteran.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: If we draft Trent Richardson.....

Good question. My guess is he'd handle it as a true professional and consumate teammate.
    Aussie Dave likes this.

AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

If this was 2 or 3 years ago I think it would be a problem, but at this point in his career I think he'll have a good attitude about it. For all the weeks he goes out and plays hurt, I think he's got to know it will extend his career to share the load.
    Aussie Dave likes this.

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

He was on ESPN this morning

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Good question. My guess is he'd handle it as a true professional and consumate teammate.
    Until Richardson starts getting his carries

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

Deep down he would be a little hurt,but i think he wont let it show and he will play the mentor role that he probably wished Faulk would of taken when he came in.SJ is a true professional and at this stage of his career he has to know deep down that he cant keep this pace of touches hes getting for another 4 years so some help will only help him down the road.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

My understanding is that Jackson wasn't a fan of previous regimes trying to give other guys some of his workload, so I'd have to assume that he wouldn't be thrilled with the idea of a Top Six prospect taking some of them (more than guys like Caddy have in the past, more than likely). But would he do or say anything unprofessional about the situation? I highly doubt it. He's simply a competitor that wants to be out there making plays for his team.
    THOLTFAN81 and shower beers like this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    My understanding is that Jackson wasn't a fan of previous regimes trying to give other guys some of his workload, so I'd have to assume that he wouldn't be thrilled with the idea of a Top Six prospect taking some of them (more than guys like Caddy have in the past, more than likely). But would he do or say anything unprofessional about the situation? I highly doubt it. He's simply a competitor that wants to be out there making plays for his team.
    Exactly.

Let's not get all pollyanna, thinking that Mother S-Jax is going to take the new chickling under his wing. As Nick said, this isn't some scrub backup that will only play when S-Jax needs a breather. This is his replacement! No competitor wants to see that, certainly not an uber-competitor like Jackson.

Bottomline: T-Rich will take carries from S-Jax, and those "takes" will increase with time (just as his "takes" from Faulk increased with time). He won't like it. But I think he's enough of a professional that he won't say/do anything publicly.

However, everyone knows the score, and the ESPNs of the world will run with all kind of "internal strife" speculation. It will be a distraction at the least.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

I just really want Claiborne or Blackmon to be honest.
    39WillRunYaOva likes this.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Nick is right Jackson is a competitor and his on-field production per carry will not suffer. But obviously Jackson will not be happy with the decision and will have to realize his season will be an audition for another team. As much as i love Jax lets be honest you do not draft a RB with the 6th pick so he can spit carries with another RB. Also RB careers are short so you better get the most out of them when they are young so if we draft T-Rich we will draft him so he can be our feature back sooner rather than later...

Thus, if we draft T-Rich then this will be S-jax last year as a Ram regardless of season production

poejoe8 Guest

I'm still perplexed as to what my opinion of SJax & his overall career has been with the Rams. Part of the problem I have, I'll admit, is the fact my expectations have been astronomical based on what I've seen the past 7 or so years. When you give him the eye test, one can't help but think the sky is always the limit. Probably due to the disappointment of the past several years, it seems like this has transferred to SJax. I still see great potential from him the next few years, but I think it could be better for all if his role changes sooner rather than later. His best individuals years hasn't translated to great seasons for the Rams, however his future production (even if it's decreased) could still make for great successes. I will remain one of his biggest fans, he's been a great & loyal Ram. I'll always have these mixed feelings about his great career.