RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

If we get Karney, Butler, 2 Picks, and everyone healthy it don't look that bad.

If we trade or release Holt we would have the money to keep Pace, sign both Karney and Butler, and still have the money needed for the draft.

With Karney and Butler and draftting Curry and Brace in rounds 1 and 2 we would have a decent team if we get the rest back healthy.

Offense:
    QB - Bulger 6'3 205
    RB - Jackson 6'2 235
    FB - Karney 5'11 255
    TE - McMichael 6'3 255

WR - Avery 5'11 185
    WR - Burton 6'1 200 #3 WR - Stanley 5'11 180

LT - Pace 6'7 325
    LG - Bell 6'4 295
    C - Brown 6'3 320
    RG - Incognito 6'3 320
    RT - Barron 6'7 315

Pushing to Start:
    G/RT -Greco 6'4 315
    G - Schuening 6'3 310

Bulger should be better if he gets Brown and Karney helping block and Greco and Schuening in their second year could push out one of last years starters. Bell should be better this year if he puts some weight back on. I would expect Pace to be as good if not better this yeaar after being a full year removed from injuries. Karney would be the best FB we had since James "The Hammer" Hodgins. Jackson will enjoy running behind Brown and Karney and should see a lot more daylight with those guys. Mc Michael being healthy will give Bulger another weapon in the passing game. Avery in his second year should improve on last years stats especially with improved blocking up front. Burton and Stanley should also be improved with another year of NFL expierence under their belt. They should be much more relaxed now that they understand the drills of an NFL player.

Defense:

DE - Long 6'3 265
    NT - Brace 6'3 325
    DT - Carriker 6'6 310
    DE - Little 6'3 265

SLB - Culberson 6'1 245
    MLB - Curry 6'3 250
    WLB - Witherspoon 6'1 240

CB - Bartell 6'1 210
    CB - Hill 5'10 185

FS - Atogwe 5'11 210
    SS - James Butler 6'3 215

Pushing to Start:
    LB - Pisa 6'0 235 (If not traded/released --Several people don't think he would work at SLB)
    CB - King 5'11 195
    CB - Wade 5'10 195

Our front seven will be able to stop the run with Curry and Brace. Witherspoon will be able to use his skils more at the OLB position. With a healthy Carriker and Little along with Long being in his second year those players should all be improved. Butler will be a big improvement over Chavous and Hill if healthy could show the initial potential expected out of him.

Well some might think this is the glass half full point of view but I would be much more excited about this team then last year and would expect this team to get back closer to respectability.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -03-09-2009 at 08:56 PM.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Re: If we get Karney, Butler, 2 Picks, and everyone healthy it don't look that bad.

im not sure if culberson is ready to start and i think we have to bring back a guy like craft since i have absolutely no faith in hill but other than that the team looks pretty good. Brace is a good pick and would help us out alot but both pace and barron could be gone next year so the FO might opt for an OT

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Re: If we get Karney, Butler, 2 Picks, and everyone healthy it don't look that bad.

I would like to think you for being positive. Its good to see posts like this once in a while. I think Spags can help Culberson become a very good LB. I too wouldnt mind seeing Craft or Manning Jr back. If we can get a good wideout in round 3 that would be great.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

You're right - if all of our free agent moves work out, both our first and second round additions to our defense suddenly allow us to stop the run, and our previous players all make positive strides, then it doesn't look that bad. Of course, my counter would be what are the chances all of those things are realistic and can happen?

For instance, without Holt, this is probably one of the weakest WR groups in the league. Avery will suddenly be a #1, and he won't have the help beside him to take some of the pressure off of him. I don't think Burton or Stanley are ready for starting roles yet. I guess I'm just not as optimistic as you are on that front.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    For instance, without Holt, this is probably one of the weakest WR groups in the league. Avery will suddenly be a #1, and he won't have the help beside him to take some of the pressure off of him. I don't think Burton or Stanley are ready for starting roles yet. I guess I'm just not as optimistic as you are on that front.
    IMO the receivers could be much better this year because Bulger with better protection should be better. If Jackson is healthy and if he has a good FB the running game should help open it up for the pass. A healthy and improved OL (Brown, Greco) would also give the receivers and Bulger more time in their routes.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Receivers? We don't need no stinking receivers.

Smash mouth football baby! (My glass is overflowing )

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Receivers? We don't need no stinking receivers.

Smash mouth football baby! (My glass is overflowing )

Jackson right, Jackson Left,Jackson up the middle. Just positive tihinking the O'Line are having alot of Pancakes for breakfast on Sunday's
    GO Rams!!!

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

If someone in St. Louis had a time machine, brought us the Fearsome Foursome on defense and the GSOT for our offense, someone, somewhere, would find something wrong with it.

Me - well, with each FA move we have made so far, I get a little more optimistic. And it all started with the Front Office...which sounds quite strange, but I like it.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    IMO the receivers could be much better this year because Bulger with better protection should be better. If Jackson is healthy and if he has a good FB the running game should help open it up for the pass. A healthy and improved OL (Brown, Greco) would also give the receivers and Bulger more time in their routes.
    Bulger having some more time will be great, as will the threat of the run. But defenses around the league aren't going to look at the Rams receiving corps and shudder in their boots. They really don't have much of a reason to.

I like Avery quite a bit, but there were times last year when even playing opposite of Holt wasn't enough by itself for him to dominate. Now Avery is going to be "the guy" which makes me nervous, especially without a proven threat opposite of him. Because you'll be hard pressed to find many NFL teams that view Burton or Stanley as proven threats.

In all likelihood, teams are going to load up against the run and dare the Rams to beat them through the air. I don't know if that gameplan though is enough for our young guys to get over the hump. The Eagles have made due with younger receivers who aren't really #1 guys, but they've also had one of the league's best lines for a number of years IMO.

All I'm saying is that if everything goes right, then yes we don't look like that bad of a team. But you could say that about any team. If every move Detroit makes works out, they probably don't look that bad either. But rarely does everything turn out positive, even for the best NFL franchises.

Weddle is offline Registered User

I we can add some depth to the defensive backfield I'll be happy. Take Curry or J.Smith at 1.2 and then BPA. If we miss on an OT at 2.2 as we end up taking a corner or safety who slipped Alphonso Smith? Sean Smith? William Moore?), so be it. I'd also be happy with a tall WR like Britt.

We have enough areas of weakness or lack of depth (OT, MLB, WR, CB, S, NT) that we can really pursue a BPA strategy and make great strides in improving the franchise...

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    If we trade or release Holt we would have the money to keep Pace, sign both Karney and Butler, and still have the money needed for the draft.

With Karney and Butler and draftting Curry and Brace in rounds 1 and 2 we would have a decent team if we get the rest back healthy.

Offense:
    QB - Bulger 6'3 205
    RB - Jackson 6'2 235
    FB - Karney 5'11 255
    TE - McMichael 6'3 255

WR - Avery 5'11 185
    WR - Burton 6'1 200 #3 WR - Stanley 5'11 180

LT - Pace 6'7 325
    LG - Bell 6'4 295
    C - Brown 6'3 320
    RG - Incognito 6'3 320
    RT - Barron 6'7 315

Pushing to Start:
    G/RT -Greco 6'4 315
    G - Schuening 6'3 310

Bulger should be better if he gets Brown and Karney helping block and Greco and Schuening in their second year could push out one of last years starters. Bell should be better this year if he puts some weight back on. I would expect Pace to be as good if not better this yeaar after being a full year removed from injuries. Karney would be the best FB we had since James "The Hammer" Hodgins. Jackson will enjoy running behind Brown and Karney and should see a lot more daylight with those guys. Mc Michael being healthy will give Bulger another weapon in the passing game. Avery in his second year should improve on last years stats especially with improved blocking up front. Burton and Stanley should also be improved with another year of NFL expierence under their belt. They should be much more relaxed now that they understand the drills of an NFL player.

Defense:

DE - Long 6'3 265
    NT - Brace 6'3 325
    DT - Carriker 6'6 310
    DE - Little 6'3 265

SLB - Culberson 6'1 245
    MLB - Curry 6'3 250
    WLB - Witherspoon 6'1 240

CB - Bartell 6'1 210
    CB - Hill 5'10 185

FS - Atogwe 5'11 210
    SS - James Butler 6'3 215

Pushing to Start:
    LB - Pisa 6'0 235 (If not traded/released --Several people don't think he would work at SLB)
    CB - King 5'11 195
    CB - Wade 5'10 195

Our front seven will be able to stop the run with Curry and Brace. Witherspoon will be able to use his skils more at the OLB position. With a healthy Carriker and Little along with Long being in his second year those players should all be improved. Butler will be a big improvement over Chavous and Hill if healthy could show the initial potential expected out of him.

Well some might think this is the glass half full point of view but I would be much more excited about this team then last year and would expect this team to get back closer to respectability.

If we went into 2009 with that lineup, I would be more optimistic than I have been in 4 years. I would repurchase NFL Ticket.