Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If Westbrook doesn't work out, here's my CHOICE to back up SJ

Looking for diamonds in the rough, I came upon a very good prospect for the Rams to pursue in a trade if they can't sign Brian Westbrook.

Tashard Choice, Dallas Cowboys

Choice is currently stuck behind Felix Jones and Marion Barber on the Cowboy's depth chart. However, in his two years with the Cowboys, he's carried the ball 156 times with a 5.3 ypc average. He also has 36 receptions over the two years.

He's young (25) and has good measurables (5'10, 212; 4.53 in the 40). I'd guess that he's itching to get on a team where he'd be given the ball more, and I think the Rams would be a good fit for him.

As far as compensation, the Cowboys might be interested in Alex Barron, having released Flozell Adams. I'd be reluctant to trade him at this point, though, unless the Rams also sign a veteran OT so they don't have to put all their eggs in Rodger Saffold's rookie basket.

I'd offer a 5th round pick. Maybe even a conditional (depending on production) 4th rounder.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -04-30-2010 at 10:33 AM.

Judaxi is offline Registered User

Re: If Westbrook doesn't work out, here's my CHOICE to back up SJ

I love this idea. I have been looking at Choice for a while and I would love to have him on our team. I remember two years ago when Jones and Barber were both down and Choice started against the Steelers and ripped them apart. IDK if Jerry Jones would be willing to let him go though.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i`ve been thinking about Choice too...but also thinking about what it would take to get him and the answer i`ve come back with is nothing cheap.

although he`s 3rd on the depth chart, they do appear to still rate him highly over there...

would be worth offering something..i think Choice himself would like to come here and get more carries but not sure what we could offer that they would accept...they may be high on Atogwe..but i dont believe we can trade him unless he signs his tender and if he don`t they could just pick him up as a free agent.

Barron maybe like you suggested..tho Barron and a 5th may be more likely a trade offer they`d be willing to accept.

i think we should keep our picks in the first 3 rounds..but i have no problem trading away the rest of next years draft picks to get young veterans now...we`ve got enough youngsters already and with the expected large talent filled free agency next offseason..i think we with a new owner in place can attack that with more vigour rather than trying to get starters or depth with late draft picks.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Atogwe (if he signs his tender) for Choice....

Hmmm....

I might make that trade.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

i would not make that trade..why is everyone so willing to throw atogwe out of here? he's one of the few bright spots on d we have, i don't get it. as for choice, i don't think dallas is really interested in getting rid of him, i believe they would rather move barber.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by molar_pistol View Post
    i would not make that trade..why is everyone so willing to throw atogwe out of here? he's one of the few bright spots on d we have, i don't get it. as for choice, i don't think dallas is really interested in getting rid of him, i believe they would rather move barber.
    MP,

I don't think we want to throw him away, he just seems to be a difficult player for us to re-sign at the price we can afford to pay. I agree he's an exceptional player on our otherwise lackluster secondary, but we can't skew the salary structure for him. I think much of the same reasoning applied to selecting Sam Bradford over Suh last week. You cannot afford to pay guaranteed money for a #1 pick to a DT rather than a QB. I know you can make the argument if he's a medical risk then you've blown the money anyway, but that's a risk we probably have to take.

Getting back to the thread, I like the idea to get Choice. He's young with experience that we can use for more years than Westbrook.

Go Rams!

i`m not willing to "throw him out of here" and i don`t believe many are..let alone the everyone you`ve stated are...

but should we want to trade for Choice..you`ve got to offer something comparable in value to get him..the Cowboys have a big hole at FS..we have a big hole at number 2 RB..
    Spags has a longer history of producing good DB`s that have played above their billing than he has with D-linemen (that he seems to be more famous for..) so he may think,with good reason..that he can get the same production from somebody else for a lot less than Atogwe & his agent may be demanding.
    Of course unless Atogwe signs the tender..it`s a moot point,we wouldnt be able to trade him and he will just become a F.A in June.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Jones has taken over as the starter, which might be signaling that Barber is on his way out the door, on the decline, or both. I think they'd be very reluctant to deal Choice, feeling how they do about Barber.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Hmmm....

I might make that trade.
    Even trade ?? I think we'd need a mid round pick thrown in .. Atogwe is a bonafide starter, whereas Choice is apparently the Cowpokes 3rd string rb.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

I wouldnt mind giving them Atogwe and a mid round pick for Tashard Choice and Patrick Crayton...
    Last edited by unorthodox1999; -04-30-2010 at 03:03 PM.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

I'd rather us test the waters with our own rookies here at runningback instead of giving up all our draft choices on other people's players. Let's see how the runningbacks look in training camp instead of assuming we need to trade for one. It's time we found our own backups for once.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Even trade ?? I think we'd need a mid round pick thrown in .. Atogwe is a bonafide starter, whereas Choice is apparently the Cowpokes 3rd string rb.
    Choice is a quality player buried in depth..see Micheal Turner in San Diego a couple of years ago..now maybe Dallas don`t want to trade him...but if they did..i`ll bet with anyone that if he started somewhere else that he would soon be rated one of the best RB`s in the league.
    of course he wouldn`t start with us...aslong as Jax is healthy...

Atogwe is a starter..a good one..but 29..coming off a collection of injuries..and with a major flaw in his game.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I'd give them Alex Barron and a 5th in a heartbeat.

Tashard Choice has the potential to be a beast, and he's already shown a lot of glimpses of it.

Learning behind Felix Jones and Marion Barber, he's gained valuable experience and knowledge. Now coming here to backup and learn from Steven Jackson, that's going to make him even better.

Good post AV.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Hmmm....

I might make that trade.
    Why trade a top safety when we don't have any other viable FS on the roster for a 3rd string back. Ya hed be 2nd string here, but he is still a backup and he wouldn't be a 1a type of back. I would rather not trade a good starter for a decent backup.

Barron and a late round pick now your talking, but OJ i definately wouldn't do.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by unorthodox1999 View Post
    I wouldnt mind giving them Atogwe and a mid round pick for Tashard Choice and Patrick Crayton...
    Hmmmm, not a bad trade especially when you consider that we may loose O.J. & get nothing in return for him as an alternative, and Choice is a beast but as someone else stated the Cowboys don't want to give him up, they'd rather get rid of Barber as he's slowing down.
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Choice is not your average 3rd stringer, when given the chance to perform, he's put up starter numbers.
    Well let's see...maybe its because:
    1. He struggles in pass coverage.
    2. He misses a lot of tackles, now he will give a guy a pop, but he fails to wrap up and take the guy down.
    3. He's asking for more money than he's worth, and as a result may walk leaving us high & dry in June...its better to cut loses now rather than later; the trade w/ Chicago may be a glimpse into future guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast