throwback week

View Poll Results: Which position should that Blue Chip FA cover?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • OL - Clady or Long

9 34.62%
  • WR - Wallace or Jennings or Bowe

10 38.46%
  • S - Jarius Byrd

7 26.92%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: If you had a choice....

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

If you had a choice....

We have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds, which is great. However, let us say we will be picking up a Blue Chip FA this offseason. If so, which one of these would you rather pick up and address the rest to the draft.

(Poll Added:

OL - Clady or Long
    WR - Wallace or Bowe or Jennings
    S - Jarius Byrd)

I think my first choice would be Jarius Byrd. He is 26 and hitting strides and peak just about now. He could be a great Safety for years to come. We can use the 3 picks to address WR, OL, and OLB or another OL. My second choice of course would be WR and address rest in draft.
    Last edited by QUINNtessentialTruth; -02-21-2013 at 02:56 AM.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Re: If you had a choice....

I'd pick Byrd too; even though he's not the fastest safety out there, he always seems to be in the right place and make the big plays. Offensive lineman and WR's in free agency always seem to break the bank, so I'd much rather draft those positions in the draft. If the Rams sign Byrd, they can go either one of two ways. The first way involves cutting Quintin Mikell (saving around 9 mil off our cap), drafting the best available OL and WR/TE using our two 1st rounders (Warmack/Lane Johnson/Fluker/Cordelle Patterson/Tavon Austin/Keenan Allen/Ertz/Eiffert are all possibilities) and using a 2nd or 3rd rounder to replace Dahl at the other safety spot (Cyprien/Phillip Thomas/Rambo/Jefferson). The second way, and the one I'd probably choose, is bringing back Mikell and having him play alongside Byrd (letting him play against the run where he excels) and using our picks to add more talent to the OL, WR, and TE positions. In this scenario, we'd probably have to let Amendola walk, but we'd have one of the better secondaries in the league.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Taking into consideration; contract, age, talent, money and fit it's Byrd

Which leads me to: "Have you heard, about the...."

Have fun with that in your head all day!
    Last edited by Rammed; -02-21-2013 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rammed View Post
    Taking into consideration; contract, age, talent, money and fit it's Byrd

Which leads me to: "Have you heard, about the...."

Have fun with that in your head all day!
    Haha I agree my title was too vague. I wasn't sure if I can fit my actual question in there

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I'd take Clady. A franchise LT is not easy to find in this league. Though he's had some injury scares, he's a top 3 LT in this league. A LT is a lot harder to find than a S so for that reason I'd slide with Clady.

THE DREAM TEAM

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

I'd agree to terms with one of these three if given the opportunity:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Clady is not even one of the top 3 OTs in this free agency much less in the league. My choice would be Jake Long.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Clady is not even one of the top 3 OTs in this free agency much less in the league. My choice would be Jake Long.
    Clady is best in a zone-blocking scheme, so I'm not really sure how effective he'd be in Shotty's system. However, he is one of the best LT's in the game and would be a huge upgrade if we were to get him (he only allowed 1 sack all last year... ONE SACK!). As for Jake Long, even though he's not the most athletic LT he does have elite size and skills; unfortunately, due to injuries he's coming off the worse season in his career and I think he'd be a huge risk if we signed him. I'd much rather stick with Saffold at LT, pray he stays healthy, and draft a RT such as Fluker or Kyle Long. Either way, I'd refrain from signing a LT in FA because it's one of the highest paid positions in football and the Rams don't have that much money to play around with.

Really? Clady is the TOP LT on the market right now, and yes, he is a top 3 LT in the league. Who else is better? Maybe Joe Thomas, and Duane Brown. Brown for sure, but Thomas is a maybe at best. Long has been average the last 2 years. Not to mention he has been injury prone. I mean, there is a reason the talent deprived Dolphins (who have some nice cap space) are "low-balling" Long and the Broncos are going to guarantee more than $25 million to Clady and will even use the franchise tag on him if they can't nail out a huge deal.

THE DREAM TEAM

Yep. Cladys very good vinnie, I don't kniw what you're seeing. And like Sosa said, Broncos look like they will keep him even if it means a very expensive franchise tag.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Really? Clady is the TOP LT on the market right now
    Absolutely not. He's 1-dimensional. He's not much of a run blocker, and Manning's quick release has as much to do with the lack of sacks as Clady's pass blocking skills. The man didn't get to be a 38-year-old All Pro QB by hanging on to the ball.

Long, Baker, Albert, McKinnie, Beatty......all are as good or better than Clady in a Rams uniform.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Judaxi is offline Registered User

I went with either Mike Wallace or Bowe. My reasoning is I believe with out two first round picks we can get a prospect on the O line and Safety that could play up to those free agents level, but there will not be a WR at that point with talent like these guys.

Absolutely not. He's 1-dimensional. He's not much of a run blocker, and Manning's quick release has as much to do with the lack of sacks as Clady's pass blocking skills. The man didn't get to be a 38-year-old All Pro QB by hanging on to the ball.

Long, Baker, Albert, McKinnie, Beatty......all are as good or better than Clady in a Rams uniform.
    I don't agree at all. But c'mon, Sam Baker? Really? You must not watch a lot of football outside of the Rams..
    The only guy thats even remotely close to Clady there is Albert. Long has been BAD the past 2 years, his own team doesn't even want to pay him. Clady is not MOVING anywhere. Albert isn't even going to get what he wants.

You may say that about Manning, but Clady has been a top 5 LT in this league before (2nd year). If you're really going to discredit Clady for that, shame on you. Thats like me saying "AP is overrated. His offensive line and fullback are the reason he got 2,000" when we all sure as hell know thats not true.

It sounds to me like you've got some vendetta against Clady.
    Last edited by sosa39rams; -02-22-2013 at 08:36 PM.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I don't agree at all. But c'mon, Sam Baker? Really? You must not watch a lot of football outside of the Rams..
    The only guy thats even remotely close to Clady there is Albert. Long has been BAD the past 2 years, his own team doesn't even want to pay him. Clady is not MOVING anywhere. Albert isn't even going to get what he wants.

You may say that about Manning, but Clady has been a top 5 LT in this league before (2nd year). If you're really going to discredit Clady for that, shame on you. Thats like me saying "AP is overrated. His offensive line and fullback are the reason he got 2,000" when we all sure as hell know thats not true.

It sounds to me like you've got some vendetta against Clady.
    Yes, Sosa, you nailed it. Back in the old country the Cladys and Bisons have been feuding for eons.

And just because people have an opinion that differs from yours, it does not mean they don't watch football. I've been around as much football as anyone here, and more than most.

Clady had an excellent rookie season under Shanahan's zone blocking scheme, but then couldn't match that under McDaniels or Fox. That is until Manning's quick release landed in Denver. You bring him here, and you're not going to get the 2008 or even 2009 Clady. But rather the Clady that was at or near the league lead in penalties during 2010 and 2011. "Shame on me"? Good grief, kid.

Clady is a fine pass blocker in Denver. He would not do the same here. I reiterate....Long, Baker, Albert, McKinnie, Beatty......all are as good or better than Clady in a Rams uniform. In. A. Rams. Uniform.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I voted for Byrd as he's a proven pro who knows how to defend in the NFL. In my opinion that is a talent not easily found in every safety coming out of college. Perhaps more so than many other positions, safety, when you fail it shows to everyone. Just ask Rahim Moore. You are out there by yourself for the most part and must make good decisions.

Go Rams!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast