View Poll Results: Which position should that Blue Chip FA cover?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • OL - Clady or Long

9 34.62%
  • WR - Wallace or Jennings or Bowe

10 38.46%
  • S - Jarius Byrd

7 26.92%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: If you had a choice....

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Re: If you had a choice....

I went with one of the WR's. Bradford needs a top talent target now. Getting a rookie WR in the draft that will need to have training wheels doesn't appeal to me. I believe the OL and Safety "needs" are positions in which the draftee is more easily able to be coached up and make the impact necessary over the course of their rookie season. Bradford is smart and has a laser of an arm... IF the Rams grab a FA, i think an experienced WR would have a greater impact than either of the other two.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Free agent OT Rankings in FA this year (per NFL.com):

#2 - Ryan Clady (Tier 1: Never going to get them)
    #7 - Sebastian Vollmer (Tier 2: Impact Starters)
    #8 - Andre Smith (Tier 2: Impact Starters)
    #10 - Branden Albert (Tier 2: Impact Starters)
    #21 - Jake Long (Tier 3: Solid Starters)
    #43 - Sam Baker (Tier 4: Starters with Questions)

There surely must be something wrong here! Oh wait, there isn't. I've been saying Clady is the top LT on the market no doubt, and though NFL.com isn't the be-all-end-all, they certainly seem to agree.

THE DREAM TEAM

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    My choice would be Jake Long.
    Long would be my choice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Long has been BAD the past 2 years
    Long was hampered by injuries in 2012, but he still managed to deny the Rams any sacks when they faced off. He was named the Pro Bowl starter in 2011, although a late season injury kept him out of the game. He made the Pro Bowl in 2008, 2009, and 2010 as well. IMO, it's a bit early to write him off.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Long would be my choice as well.

Long was hampered by injuries in 2012, but he still managed to deny the Rams any sacks when they faced off. He was named the Pro Bowl starter in 2011, although a late season injury kept him out of the game. He made the Pro Bowl in 2008, 2009, and 2010 as well. IMO, it's a bit early to write him off.
    I think he can definitely get back to a good level. I mean skill doesn't really diminish that quickly, does it? I just wouldn't spend 10 million hoping on a guy. Matter of fact, I don't know if I'd sign ANY of the OT's this year. I'd rather sign myself 2 positions for the price of that 1 LT.

And by the way, Pro bowls wont really persuade anyone. Richard Sherman was the best CB in the NFL this year, he did not get a pro bowl berth. Jeff Saturday got benched week 13 (I believe) for being ineffective, and he made the pro bowl.

THE DREAM TEAM

PFF also backs my statement:

Ranking the 2013 Offensive Tackles (Free Agency):

Clady wasn't on the list because they made the list for guys who actually have a chance to "test the waters". So I asked for arguments sake, if you PFF did include Clady on the list, where would he land? The answer was "He would be the clear top guy".

1. Sebastian Vollmer
    Grade: +28.2

2. Jake Long
    Grade: -0.74

3. Will Beatty
    Grade: +22.3

4. Branden Albert
    Grade: +13.8

5. Gosder Cherilus
    Grade: +23.4

6. Jermon Bushrod
    Grade: +1.5

7. Sam Baker
    Grade: +12.5

8. Bryant McKinnie
    Grade: +5.6

9. King Dunlap
    Grade: +6.6

10. Winston Justice
    Grade: -0.5

Jake Long had the worst grade of all these guys last year. Mind you, I'm not trying to rip the guy. I think he'll pick his play up. I'm not sure if it'll be to the caliber it was the first 3 or 4 years, but for 10 million+ I could do a lot better and safer at this point.

THE DREAM TEAM

Fastcat is offline Registered User
    PFF also backs my statement:

Ranking the 2013 Offensive Tackles (Free Agency):

Clady wasn't on the list because they made the list for guys who actually have a chance to "test the waters". So I asked for arguments sake, if you PFF did include Clady on the list, where would he land? The answer was "He would be the clear top guy".

1. Sebastian Vollmer
    Grade: +28.2

2. Jake Long
    Grade: -0.74

3. Will Beatty
    Grade: +22.3

4. Branden Albert
    Grade: +13.8

5. Gosder Cherilus
    Grade: +23.4

6. Jermon Bushrod
    Grade: +1.5

7. Sam Baker
    Grade: +12.5

8. Bryant McKinnie
    Grade: +5.6

9. King Dunlap
    Grade: +6.6

10. Winston Justice
    Grade: -0.5

Jake Long had the worst grade of all these guys last year. Mind you, I'm not trying to rip the guy. I think he'll pick his play up. I'm not sure if it'll be to the caliber it was the first 3 or 4 years, but for 10 million+ I could do a lot better and safer at this point.
    Pick up his play??? If a guy has been injured (same injury twice?).... And is only getting older.... And his performance has been trending down for 3 or 4yrs.... Dont you guys understand its gonna continue to go down? Long had, what, 2 arm/chest muscle injures? That will affect anyones pass blocking, ask Orlando Pace!! Some of you are stuck on "names".

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

though NFL.com isn't the be-all-end-all, they certainly seem to agree.
    Agree that he's the best...... in a Rams uniform?

Any team in a zone blocking scheme that doesn't need solid run blocking from their LT would be more than happy with Ryan Clady. Unfortunately, the Rams do not fit that criteria.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Agree that he's the best...... in a Rams uniform?

Any team in a zone blocking scheme that doesn't need solid run blocking from their LT would be more than happy with Ryan Clady. Unfortunately, the Rams do not fit that criteria.
    Every team wants their OT's to be able to pass and run block. Clady isn't the best run blocker in the game, but where does he rank? Maybe 15th? 20th latest? There is a reason the LT is supposed to be your best pass blocker, not run blocker. You want a run blocker? Go get a Barry Richardson and plug him in at RT and have fun with his "run blocking" when the guy can't pass block if his life depended on it.

When a team runs the ball (specifically us) we primarily have 1 if not 2 TE's on the field. That allows for plenty of help in the running game. When you go shotgun and wanna sling the ball around, if you have a LT that is below average in the pass game you commit your TE or RB to help chip or block in total, which allows for 1 or 2 less weapons.

I'll take a guy who is an elite pass blocker over an elite run blocker all day everyday. Funny thing is, Bryant McKinnie, Sam Baker, and Jake Long aren't elite in anything (at least not anymore)...

THE DREAM TEAM

Every team wants their OT's to be able to pass and run block. Clady isn't the best run blocker in the game, but where does he rank? Maybe 15th? 20th latest? There is a reason the LT is supposed to be your best pass blocker, not run blocker. You want a run blocker? Go get a Barry Richardson and plug him in at RT and have fun with his "run blocking" when the guy can't pass block if his life depended on it.

When a team runs the ball (specifically us) we primarily have 1 if not 2 TE's on the field. That allows for plenty of help in the running game. When you go shotgun and wanna sling the ball around, if you have a LT that is below average in the pass game you commit your TE or RB to help chip or block in total, which allows for 1 or 2 less weapons.

I'll take a guy who is an elite pass blocker over an elite run blocker all day everyday. Funny thing is, Bryant McKinnie, Sam Baker, and Jake Long aren't elite in anything (at least not anymore)...
    I'm not sure that such a perfunctory view furthers the discussion, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

The truth is, teams should not be viewing their roster pursuits with such a either/or mentality. The Rams need a LT (or any OL for that matter) that can both run block and pass block. This is Jeff Fisher we're talking about. His game has always been based on a power blocking, run often, offense. A finesse pass blocker like Clady would look rather pedestrian in this offense.

Barry Richardson at LT?

Again, my friend, the nuances seem to be escaping the discussion.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I'm not sure that such a perfunctory view furthers the discussion, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

The truth is, teams should not be viewing their roster pursuits with such a either/or mentality. The Rams need a LT (or any OL for that matter) that can both run block and pass block. This is Jeff Fisher we're talking about. His game has always been based on a power blocking, run often, offense. A finesse pass blocker like Clady would look rather pedestrian in this offense.

Barry Richardson at LT?

Again, my friend, the nuances seem to be escaping the discussion.
    It doesn't matter what Jeff Fisher does. At the end of the day this is a passing league, and we had 5 rushing TD's. If your not going to score running, you sure as hell better score by passing. Clady is a mediocre run blocker, and a superb pass blocker. I know about 32 teams that'd be ecstatic to have a guy like Ryan Clady on their team.

And I never said "Barry Richardson at LT".

THE DREAM TEAM

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I think he can definitely get back to a good level. I mean skill doesn't really diminish that quickly, does it? I just wouldn't spend 10 million hoping on a guy. Matter of fact, I don't know if I'd sign ANY of the OT's this year. I'd rather sign myself 2 positions for the price of that 1 LT.
    I don't necessarily disagree with you sosa, but in the context of this poll, I'm assuming with a doable deal, I'd take Long. Do I think in the real world the numbers would work out to be able to do it? No.
    sosa39rams likes this.

It doesn't matter what Jeff Fisher does.
    That would be news to the Rams and their playbook.
    I know about 32 teams that'd be ecstatic to have a guy like Ryan Clady on their team.
    Or at least you assume they would. Clady is a specific type of blocker that fits in a specific system. He is a PERFECT fit in the Broncos current system. That would not be the case in many other teams, including the Rams.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rammed View Post
    Taking into consideration; contract, age, talent, money and fit it's Byrd

Which leads me to: "Have you heard, about the...."

Have fun with that in your head all day!
    That the Byrd is the word haha

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

There surely must be something wrong here! Oh wait, there isn't. I've been saying Clady is the top LT on the market no doubt, and though NFL.com isn't the be-all-end-all, they certainly seem to agree.
    His team seems to agree. i just read somewhere that Clady got Franchised
    sosa39rams likes this.

Ryan Clady gets franchise tagged. Branden Albert gets franchise tagged. Jake Long handed his walking papers. Coincidence? I think not.
    Vinnie25 likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12