Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

If you're Matt Leinart, do you hate life?

"The things I value at this school are more important to me than money. I realize the money I could have made if I had gone to the NFL, but I wanted to stay in school. I wanted to be with all my friends and teammates, living the college life and going through the graduation process. All those things make up my college experience and I didn't want to give that up...Being in college is the best time of my life...There is something special going on at USC that I didn't want to give up...I'm having fun here. It's all a part of growing up, all part of being a kid, and I wasn't ready to pass that up...A lot of people said they didn't envy me being in that situation. In a way, it was a great position to be in, but on the other hand it was one of the biggest decisions of my life...There's still a lot of motivation for me to play college football...I realize that some say there's not really much more I can accomplish. But I can get a lot strong physically and mentally. Another year of experience can only help. It's not about the awards. It's not about trying to win another Heisman. It's really about trying to win a third national championship and getting better as a player...The next level is a business. I'm playing for passion and for the love of this game. There's nothing like this right here...Sometimes I just kind of look around and think it's cool being in the position I'm in. Yeah, life right now is pretty good."
    The guy could have come out last year and been a lock for the first overall selection. There's no way you're going to convince me the San Francisco ***** still take Alex Smith over Leinart. He could have been paid #1 money and played for an organization in his home state. He probably would have played professional football at some point this season, and would have begun his professional development.

Instead, he stayed for the "college experience." Well, I hope it was worth it. Because Leinart (1) did not win a third national championship, (2) did not win a second Heisman trophy, (3) is now a virtual lock to NOT be the first overall pick in the draft, and (4) may not even be the first QB taken depending on what happens with Vince Young and how teams value him.

Leinart is clearly the safer choice than Vince Young, but will a franchise fall in love with Young because of what he could be, and move up to take him over Leinart? Perhaps, perhaps not. But you have to think that with hindsight being what it is, deep down inside, Matt wishes he would have declared last spring.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

OrlandoPaceIsMyHero is offline Registered User

Re: If you're Matt Leinart, do you hate life?

Hopefully the whiners do fall in love with Vince and pick him. While I love him in college, I think this guy is going nowhere in the pros. Consider the following:

1) Making plays with his feet won't be as easy. All of a sudden he will be confronted by D-linemen who are bigger AND faster than him. Freaks like Little, Kearse, Peppers, etc. Also, he will be facing freak linebackers like Urlacher who are his size and speed. No more easy outrunning the defense for him.

2) Making plays with his arm won't be as easy. NFL defenses won't need to commit 6 and a half guys to stopping vince like the Trojans (and assumedly other teams, though I haven't seen many Texas games) did. These college teams had to commit 6-6.5 (a spy) AND STILL failed to get pressure because of his excellent OL at Texas. Now the D will only bring 4-5 and contain him while dropping the other 7-6 in coverage. Not so easy to complete passes now.

3) Injuries. Vince has played about 25 games (I'm assuming he started his soph and junior years) behind a very talented OL (compared to the opposition). Many of those games were blowouts because, after all, this is college football, where bigtime programs like Texas and USC schedule half of their games to be butt-whoopings. Now in the NFL he will be facing a 16-20 week season while taking more of a pounding (comparatively worse OL, better defenders)... I can't imagine this guy staying healthy. He doesn't have the elusiveness of Vick IMO, and therefore will take alot more solid hits...

I like Vince; he's my favorite player to use in NCAA, but I'm afraid that the NFL is too specialized for his type: the days of the running QB are gone in the modern big-hitting, precision-passing-happy NFL.

What do you all think?

-OPIMH

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I don't know. I've seen Vince compared more than once to Randall Cunningham, and I think it's a rather good comparison. Vince isn't going to be a speedster like Michael Vick, but he's got enough of a motor to escape pressure and make something happen.

True, the NFL is filled with bigger and faster athletes, but I don't think the league is so overwhelmed by them that Young will be rendered ineffective.

What concerns me more about Vince is his arm strength and accuracy. His throws last night were fine, but most of his receivers were open. Thomas was finding holes in the zone coverage all night long, and I don't recall Young ever taking a shot down the field.

These are things I'd want to examine about Young for the next level if I were a GM. Because let's face it - a running QB is nice, but Michael Vick isn't exactly a dual threat. Stop the run, and make him beat you with his arm. Now and then he'll put up some good passing numbers, but it's still not his strong suit. If Young is to succeed, he'll have to be able to throw the ball and do it well.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

chiguy is offline Registered User

VY hasn't proven he can throw into tight coverage yet. You still might draft him because you can turn him into a WR or RB though and end up with a pretty good player. Heck, he's nearly big enough to be a LB already.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

That said, it probably didn't suck being Matt Leinert on the USC campus this year.

Pick up line with 100% success rate: "Hi, I'm Matt Leinert."

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    That said, it probably didn't suck being Matt Leinert on the USC campus this year.

Pick up line with 100% success rate: "Hi, I'm Matt Leinert."
    Money.

Why do I need 10 characters. *grrrr*

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

After what happened on Wednesday night, Leinart is probably hating life right now. 6 months from now, probably not.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

The thing that bothers me with Vince Young is this. I watched the game again and I swear I didnt see one pass to a receiver who was on the run. He is accurate when the receiver is standing still, but so am I. It doesnt mean that I'm going to be a great NFL QB. I think that Vince still has a lot left to prove about being a passer.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Because Leinart (1) did not win a third national championship, (2) did not win a second Heisman trophy, (3) is now a virtual lock to NOT be the first overall pick in the draft, and (4) may not even be the first QB taken depending on what happens with Vince Young and how teams value him.
    Worst of all, there's a good chance he'll be drafted by the Saints. Poor guy.

[archie v2.0]