Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: I'm on the Greg Jennings Hype Train

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

I'm on the Greg Jennings Hype Train

After much debate I have decided I am throwing all my money into the Rams signing Greg Jennings this upcoming off-season. Jennings is the best option of the Bowe, Wallace and Jennings combo and here is why...

1) Jennings is the most realistic option as he will come cheaper. A report just came out over the weekend from NFP that Jennings will be met with a chillier market than he might expect. I am thinking somewhere in the range of 3-4 years at 5-6 mil annually should please him.

2) "GJ85" gives this receiving unit the precise thing it's missing a veteran and a leader, not to mention a LEGITIMATE #1 receiver. I actually believe that Jennings being the oldest of the trio is a good thing considering what we currently have in tow. Jennings has accomplished something neither of these other two receivers has and that is a Super Bowl championship. But not only was Greg apart of a SB winning team he contributed for 4 catches, 64 yards, and two touchdowns in that game. Not to mention the 303 total yards he amassed throughout the playoffs during their Super Bowl run.

3) I am sure his buddy Scott Wells could vouch for the kind of guy he is. Jennings has seemed like the furthest thing from the "diva" complex that has been attached to Wallace and Bowe throughout their careers.

Highlight Video:

The funny thing about Jennings is the fact that he has actually been one of my favorite non-Rams throughout his career, but the desire for the Rams to acquire him this off-season didn't hit me until today. Growing up in a household of all Packer fans they are probably the team i pay the second closest attention to, and Jennings is my one brothers favorite player. This has I guess allowed me to really understand how truly good of a player Jennings has been throughout his career and not just basing my opinion off stats you can read off his yahoo sports bio. I am basing this off things I have seen from him while watching games.

Greg Jennings, you're my guy...put the team on your back doe.

Last edited by Nick; -01-23-2013 at 07:17 AM. Reason: No reason to post a video with that language
    ManofGod likes this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: I'm on the Greg Jennings Hype Train

Jennings is my favorite out of the "big 3". The difference in having a veteran this year, and one like Lloyd last year, is that we have Givens and Amendolla back. MSW just sucked lol.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

29 years old (will be 30 at start of next season)...

Coming off a hernia surgery...

Color me skeptical.

I like Jennings, and I think he'd be a great addition in 2013.

But what about 2014? 2015?

I'm not sure he fits the long-term plan.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I'd love to sign Jennings. For some reason he emerged as my favourite option of the top 3 as well. His combo of route running, speed, and solid hands should have everybody intrigued. Let the Dolphins go after Wallace, we can land a cheaper and just as efficient option in Jennings.

Then again, I wouldn't be mad. I think the draft is extremely deep in the WR pool next year so we can have our pick there as well.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    29 years old (will be 30 at start of next season)...

Coming off a hernia surgery...

Color me skeptical.

I like Jennings, and I think he'd be a great addition in 2013.

But what about 2014? 2015?

I'm not sure he fits the long-term plan.
    If you like him in 2013 at 29-30 years old, why be skeptical that his production would fall of a cliff. Look at what the 34 your old Reggie Wayne did this year, heck look at what he did the last four years after he turned 30.

This is the no contact league, you can't touch the QB or the WR anymore.

If we could get three productive years out of him and develop Givens, Quick and a rookie of your choice, drafted this year, I would say our future looks bright at WR,

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

First off let me say that Jennings is my favorite if the Rams decide to pursue a FA wideout.

1) He is a solid proven receiver, and additionally he could mentor our younger receivers.

2) He will probably be available at a more reasonable price than Wallace or Bowe.

3) He is nearing the end of his career, but likely has at least two or three good productive years left.

That said, we'd have to sign him before the draft. We really won't know who will fall to us in the draft at wideout, so Fish and crew may prefer to spend FA money elsewhere. I would just as happy if we spend our FA money on the O-line if there is a good guy available there. In the end, acquiring Jennings will come down to money - if Fish and Snead see real value there fine, if not, well those are the decisions they're paid to make. I doubt the Rams will break the bank to acquire a receiver in FA.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    If you like him in 2013 at 29-30 years old, why be skeptical that his production would fall of a cliff. Look at what the 34 your old Reggie Wayne did this year, heck look at what he did the last four years after he turned 30.

This is the no contact league, you can't touch the QB or the WR anymore.

If we could get three productive years out of him and develop Givens, Quick and a rookie of your choice, drafted this year, I would say our future looks bright at WR,
    For every Reggie Wayne, there are 10 WRs who decline significantly around age 30.

But, to be clear, I'm not saying that Jennings is a terrible idea, I merely think that a younger guy like Bowe or Wallace would be a better move.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Av, you make a very good point about Reggie Wayne being an anomaly. Hall of Fame quality receivers don't grow on trees. And I'm not going to say that Jennings is of that caliber.

Rambos does however, make an excellent point. In today's NFL, contacting the WR is all but illegal, so you're going to see more of these very good WR's put up good numbers for longer because they're less likely to get hurt. Unless of course, Goodell decides that catastropic knee injuries are better for the NFL's image than hard hits in the chest that may impact the poor, "defenseless", helmeted head.

Sarcasm aside, I'm on the Jennings bandwagon as I think that he'll be able to give us better value as a reduced cost vs. the other two big names, both of whom are not yet guaranteed to be free agents. Jennings is. Bowe has games where he just checks out. Trust me, I'm a former fantasy owner. Wallace may not be the best receiver on his own team, but has the diva attitude as well. He's mad that he couldn't cash in this year and is looking for the biggest paycheck regardless of where it is. I don't think that he will be money well spent.

I don't know if we fit was Jennings is looking for, but at the very least he'll not be pushed for playing time up front and we've seen that he has not stunted the growth of receivers behind him. The Pack are seriously four deep at above average starting quality receivers.
    I believe!

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    The Pack are seriously four deep at above average starting quality receivers.
    I actually really think as good as Nelson, Cobb and Jones are the Packers are going to regret letting Jennings walk. (Though while typing all those names I salivated at the thought of Sam having that many weapons...scary)

Once Jennings was fully healed up in Week 17, the wild card and the divisional round he had 235 yards and 2 tds in those 3 games. IMO he is the Packers best WR easily.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Wallace may not be the best receiver on his own team, but has the diva attitude as well. He's mad that he couldn't cash in this year and is looking for the biggest paycheck regardless of where it is. I don't think that he will be money well spent.
    I have never understood why the WR position has, or at least to me appears to have, the highest number of divas. They are essential members of the team, and a great one makes a big difference yes, but they are also highly dependant upon the QB, offensive line, and running back to do anything. Look at Fitzgerald this year, he's easily a top WR in the league, and he had a bad year because he didn't have anyone to get the ball to him.

At the end of the day, stay away from WRs who think it's all about them, like Wallace. I'd still take Bowe though. Even if he checks out on occassion, he's still better than anything currently on the roster.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Much like Reggie Wayne, Greg Jennings' game has never really been based on speed but more on good route running and great hands; I doubt he''ll fall off much, if at all, in the next couple years. He's still a bonafide #1 receiver and would complement our other receivers well. He'll come cheaper than Wallace and Bowe, and would allow the Rams to focus elsewhere on the draft (like OL or TE). If we were able to draft a TE like Eifert or Ertz, our offense could be scary good, while at the same time taking some pressure off Brian Quick and allowing him to progress into our future #1 receiver. I can imagine it now: Sam Bradford in the shotgun with Jennings and Givens split out wide, Amendola in the slot, and Eifert/Ertz and Kendricks on the line..... now thats an offense.
    hawaiianpunch and Haste like this.

richtree is offline Registered User

With 28 Million and a super bowl ring under his belt, I don't know how easy it will be to convince him to play here. I think he wants to play for a winner (especially if we aren't overpaying) or close to his home GB, Minn, Chicago, Clev ----- I think we don't have as good of a shot at Jennings as the other guys that are looking for a payday or a place to bloom....

Jennings is doubtful --- I think Keller and a smaller name WR is a more like to happen

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    With 28 Million and a super bowl ring under his belt, I don't know how easy it will be to convince him to play here. I think he wants to play for a winner (especially if we aren't overpaying) or close to his home GB, Minn, Chicago, Clev ----- I think we don't have as good of a shot at Jennings as the other guys that are looking for a payday or a place to bloom....

Jennings is doubtful --- I think Keller and a smaller name WR is a more like to happen
    Well if he wants to play for a winner that would immediately eliminate Cleveland, and Chicago has about as much cap room as us, so I doubt they'd spend most of it on Jennings just to have him be their 2nd receiver. The Vikings are a fit due to them being a playoff team and having the most cap room, but they also have a question mark at QB and might be saving money to resign Percy Harvin next year. I personally think that the Rams and Dolphins make the most sense for him; they both have cap room, are close to playoff teams, and he would be the bonafide #1 receiver with either one of them. Don't overlook Houston though: they're a perennial playoff team and have been looking for a good secondary receiver to complement Andre Johnson for a couple years now.

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    With 28 Million and a super bowl ring under his belt, I don't know how easy it will be to convince him to play here.
    Funny you should mention this because I was actually about to post an article with an interview from Jennings before the post-season began.

Greg Jennings prefers playing in Dome

Packers wide receiver Greg Jennings got healthy, and then he got hot with a dazzling Week 17 performance in the Packers' loss at Minnesota. Now as Green Bay opens the playoffs against those same Minnesota Vikings at home on Saturday night, Jennings admitted he wouldn’t mind playing them again indoors—rather than at chilly Lambeau Field.

Jennings told Fox Sports Wisconsin he “absolutely” prefers running routes and catching passes in a dome on an artificial playing surface.

“I would be on turf quick,” Jennings said. “Dome? Are you kidding me? Would you rather play outside?”

Greg Jennings has 30 touchdown receptions on the road in his NFL career vs. 23 at Lambeau Field. (AP Photo)
    Jennings’ playoff history suggests he’s built to succeed on a road fast track. When the Packers went on their Super Bowl XLV run two years ago, he came up big in the divisional round against the Falcons in the Georgia Dome (eight catches, 101 yards) and then against the Steelers in Cowboys Stadium (four catches, 64 yards, two TDs).

Last week against the Vikings in the Metrodome, he had eight catches for 120 yards and two TDs. When the Packers lost at Lambeau to the eventual Super Bowl XLVI champion Giants last year, he was held to four catches for 40 yards.

Jennings will become an unrestricted free agent in the 2013 offseason, so there’s a good chance the playoffs will be the last time we see him in a Packers uniform. Two teams in need of a top veteran wide receiver offer good environments for him. The Rams play in a dome, and the Dolphins play in balmy South Florida.
    I was actually meaning to put this as one of my reasons for wanting him based on his desires to play in a dome but the article slipped my mind. This led me to further do some digging on Jennings and I noticed throughout his career he has averaged 82.9 YPG indoors as opposed to 64.4 outdoors per game. Further he has scored a touchdown in 74% of indoor games as opposed to 51% of outdoor games.

I also ran across his career numbers against the ***** and Seahawks and they will at the very least put a smile on Rams fan faces... In 4 career games against the ***** he had 332 yards and 3 touchdowns, and in 4 career games against the Seahawks he had 280 yards and 1 touchdown. I like those numbers.

Side note versus us in 4 career games he had 356 yards and 2 touchdowns haha. If the man wants to return to the EJD on a more permanent basis and put up those numbers, as a Ram, who am I to resist?

Believe in your smelf Greg and come to STL.

Completely forgot about this during the MNF game this year vs Seattle.
    Last edited by THOLTFAN81; -01-24-2013 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Added Browner Jennings Video

Please Rams, get this guy on our team

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast