Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: I'm officially off the Blackmon bandwagon

RuffRams is offline Registered User

I'm officially off the Blackmon bandwagon

Yes, I am officially off the Blackmon bandwagon and on the Michael Floyd bandwagon.

I really really think that with measurables and their years last year (highlights included). Blackmon is more of a #2 WR or a #1A. Where as Floyd at 6-3, 224 and his play ability has a high ceiling at #1 WR.

New mock offseason coming soon

Edit: I also want to be clear, I am NOT saying we should draft Floyd at #2 overall or even #4/#6 overall.
    Last edited by RuffRams; -02-27-2012 at 04:12 PM.
    md8 likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: I'm officially off the Blackmon bandwagon

I am officially off the Blackmon bandwagon and on the Michael Floyd bandwagon.
    That's got to be a lonely place.
    FestusRam likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    That's got to be a lonely place.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    This made me lol for real. Forever alone guy on the Floyd bandwagon.
    RuffRams likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Yes, I am officially off the Blackmon bandwagon and on the Michael Floyd bandwagon.

I really really think that with measurables and their years last year (highlights included). Blackmon is more of a #2 WR or a #1A. Where as Floyd at 6-3, 224 and his play ability has a high ceiling at #1 WR.

Edit: Steeter and Floyd are the only WR bandwagons I am on now in this draft!
    Isn't it a little early for bandwagons? No disrespect intended, but we are just getting into the hype stage, the bandwagons haven't even lined up for the parade yet. It's great to see all these receivers running fast 40 times and running crisp routes in shorts and such, it's all part of the show.

One thing appears sure: this years wr crop appears a lot deeper than last year's. That can only bode well for us. Due the uncertainty of where we will be drafting in rd #1 (trade scenarios abound and will continue right up until the draft), it is hard to focus on a particular player such as Blackmon or Kalil etc. What happens if we sign Vincent Jackson as a FA? There are so many ifs and maybes right now, focusing on just one player seems way premature.

By John Czarnecki

1. Rams' total makeover: St. Louis landed the most qualified free-agent head coach, Jeff Fisher, who didnít want to wait another year to see if a job in Chicago or Washington would open.

Fisher reached the playoffs six of his last 12 seasons with the Tennessee/Houston franchise. He also has major clout on the competition committee and league-wide respect among his peers. Fisher drew interest from the Colts and Chargers, but he believes quarterback Sam Bradford can be great. Fisher has assembled an all-star coaching staff that includes Dave McGinnis, Gregg Williams, Paul Boudreau and Brian Schottenheimer.

Whatís further fascinating in St. Louis is that the team has a new general manager, Les Snead (formerly of Atlanta), who should work extremely well with young COO Kevin Demoff. This threesome could ultimately reap a kingís ransom for their No. 2 overall draft pick, which figures to be Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III. There is a lot of experience and wisdom at Rams Park now.

Rather than focus on a single player at this stage, I am far more interested in how our newly acquired front office and coaching "dream team" handle what potentially should be the Rams best draft in more than a decade. We are going to get some great players come April - of that I have little doubt. Not knowing who they are yet is part of the fun and the suspense.

I agree with what you said. I think partly because it is the offseason and there is less to talk about, I made this post mostly in a joking manner. (The thread is in a joking manner, not my preference of Floyd over Blackmon). However, the draft is in April and there is a lot left to assess no question about it. We need to look at all angles, acquire more picks, and fill starting needs, agreed.

Also, if we get Colston or Jackson, of course there is no point in Floyd or maybe even Blackmon. We can then probably go for other needs.
    MauiRam likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Just going on gut:

Floyd has better physical tools but I don't think he's going to do what it takes to be a premier WR in the league. Off the field issues are a big deal for me. It shows whether you have the built-in desire to be great in the NFL or are satisfied being wealthy.

Fair or not, Floyd reminds me of David Terrell.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -02-27-2012 at 03:35 PM.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Edit: Steeter and Floyd are the only WR bandwagons I am on now in this draft! I also want to be clear, I am NOT saying we should draft Floyd at #2 overall or even #4/#6 overall.
    WOW!

I guess 232 receptions in two years doesn't make you a #1 receiver
    I guess 38 TD receptions in 2 years doesn't make you a #1 receiver
    I guess 3,304 receiving yards in 2 years doesn't make you a #1
    Just stats thou right

I guess converting on 4th down in a game deciding moment in the fiesta bowl when everyone knew you were getting the ball doesn't make you a #1
    I guess finishing with 8 rec 186 yrds 3 TDs while fighting a leg infection doesn't make you a #1
    I guess facing consistently beating double teams doesn't make you a #1
    I guess finishing 5th in the hiesman as a receiver doesn't make you a #1 receiver
    I guess being considered a threat to score on every reception doesn't make you a #1

So here is Blackmon's skill set:
    Clutch
    Game Breaking speed
    Great Hands
    Durable
    Outstanding body control
    Breaks Tackles
    Very Strong and well built

Please tell me what other traits you need to a QB's go-to target aka #1 receiver

So michael floyd is tall and extremely fast and has the potential to be a #1 receiver somebody tell Danario Alexander he has a twin that plays just as often and as similar to him

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post

So here is Blackmon's skill set:
    Clutch
    Game Breaking speed
    Great Hands
    Durable
    Outstanding body control
    Breaks Tackles
    Very Strong and well built
    You forgot hes a great route runner as well

As my last post says, I kind of just made this in a joking manner (especially the bandwagon and new mockoffseason part). I really think I had an overload of NFL combine coverage of Michael Floyd and made this thread, I instantly regret this.

The point of this thread is I prefer Floyd over Blackmon now.

Two things I was wrong about in this thread:
    I think Blackmon could be a number 1 receiver, I have no basis on that arguement. I was trying to say Floyd is more of a #1 receiver in my eyes THAN Blackmon. Didn't mean to allude that Blackmon isn't a number 1 receiver at all.
    I am not just on Streeter and Floyds bandwagon. I actually wouldn't mind if we picked up anyone of these guys: Hill, Streeter, Floyd, or Blackmon.

Jd_UK is offline Registered User
    Lol Barron..glad to get that off your chest?! Bad day at work?! Haha, fantastic.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

To me the combine is too much numbers that people fall in love with. Stephen Hill is suddenly a top WR just because he ran fast and caught a few balls... Yet he really cant run any routes and is extremely raw.

Blackmon is dominant. Hes not the fastest, nor the strongest. But something no-one can deny, he runs UNREAL routes for a rookie. Thats why he will have instant success in the NFL. Its all about seperation, and no that doesn't mean speed. It means running nice routes and tricking DB's.

Not to mention Blackmon has excellent hands, good enough speed, is a willing blocker, and has decent size. Any think the gloves he was using at the combine were sick? The pure orange ones.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    To me the combine is too much numbers that people fall in love with. Stephen Hill is suddenly a top WR just because he ran fast and caught a few balls... Yet he really cant run any routes and is extremely raw.

Blackmon is dominant. Hes not the fastest, nor the strongest. But something no-one can deny, he runs UNREAL routes for a rookie. Thats why he will have instant success in the NFL. Its all about seperation, and no that doesn't mean speed. It means running nice routes and tricking DB's.

Not to mention Blackmon has excellent hands, good enough speed, is a willing blocker, and has decent size. Any think the gloves he was using at the combine were sick? The pure orange ones.
    I doubt you watched alot of game action of S.Hill. I had him as #5 best WR and he will be rising in my rankings...I had him ahead of Kendall Wright and I had Dwight Jones at 17 (now falling more)...

The combine is a great tool to highlight/lowlight talent that has been overlooked or not seen in the correct vantage-point...

Hill played in a Run Heavy offense and would be a great fit for teams like Den, Chicago, and the Jets....

I doubt he gets out of the 1st round.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Torrey smith was raw, didnt run good routes, and has questionable hands. And he won a few games for the ravens..... Stephen Hill comes from an offense that ran the triple option. Demarious thomas from denver came from the same school and he came on late last season to become denvers goto reciever. And im not sure on this one but calvin johnson came from same school but idk what type of offense they ran then. If Hill has lateral speed along with vertical speed his game would translate to the nfl nicely

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I doubt you watched alot of game action of S.Hill. I had him as #5 best WR and he will be rising in my rankings...I had him ahead of Kendall Wright and I had Dwight Jones at 17 (now falling more)...

The combine is a great tool to highlight/lowlight talent that has been overlooked or not seen in the correct vantage-point...

Hill played in a Run Heavy offense and would be a great fit for teams like Den, Chicago, and the Jets....

I doubt he gets out of the 1st round.
    I didn't say he wasn't a good WR. I was thinking he'd be taken in Rd 2-3 at latest. Hes extremely big and very fast. He also has great hands, which showed during the gauntlet. And yes, I understand what GT ran... He had 28 catches and averaged an insane 29 YPC. I dont see us taking him because it will take a year or two for him to be dominant in the NFL, its not college anymore where you can run 9's all game and get open. If he goes to a team like Den or Chicago or the Jets he will light it up simply for the fact that he will be a deep threat and nothing more for a year.

WR needy teams (#1 WR) will not take just Stephen Hill. They will also grab an FA WR, or draft another. He will be sick in the NFL, but he is too raw. Blackmon will dominate right away because he has an array of routes. Hill basically is a 9 route guy, he will have to develop his routes.

Plus, I think he goes to Houston. Perfect match.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast