Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: I'm officially off the Blackmon bandwagon

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: I'm officially off the Blackmon bandwagon

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    considering all the trade rumors of what the Rams might receive for the #2 pick:

is anyone still arguing Blackmon is worth the #2 pick?
    That's actually an excellent way of framing the issue. Its no longer Blackmon v. Kalil, or Claiborne, or Richardson, or ??? Its Blackmon vs. a windfall of picks (which, depending on how far down the Rams drop in round 1, could still yield Blackmon as one of the selections).

When viewed that way, I agree with your implication that there is no way the Rams should simply take Blackmon at #2 (unless all the suitors low-ball on trade offers, which I doubt will happen).

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

2012 NFL Combine - Receiver Analysis (PRE-COMBINE)

By Pete Fiutak

1. Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State (Jr.) 6-1, 210 Proj. 1

Positives: Very strong, very tough. Is physical and will push cornerbacks around. … Ultra-consistent. Even with everyone focusing on him, he still produced all the time. … Not afraid to make the tough grab in traffic. He’ll go over the middle and he’ll always find a way to make the big play. … Great hands. It’s always a shocker when he comes up with a drop. He’ll hit. He’s a willing, tough blocker who’ll be great for a ground game. … Great route runner. Dependable.

Negatives: Doesn’t have it athletically and will be way, way, WAY overdrafted. Worth a late first round pick but not a top ten NFL athlete and certainly not worth the No. 2 to St. Louis. … He has the bulk, but he’s not fast, isn’t tall, and isn’t quick. … The elite NFL receivers – Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald – who were drafted high are big and fast and tall. Blackmon will be a good pro, but his upside is Anquan Boldin. … He’s not going to be a YAC guy. He’s not going to do as much in the open field as he’ll need to as a top draft pick. ... Pumped up numbers playing in the Oklahoma State system.

Excuse me?? Doesn't have it athletically?? What the hell does Justin have to do to satisfy this writer's perception of "having it athletically"?

2. Michael Floyd, Notre Dame 6-3, 229 Proj. 1
    Positives: Tremendous playmaker. A true No. 1 target who played up to the pressure. … Very big with NFL size and physical ability. He’ll outmuscle corners for the ball. … Football fast. He won’t time well, but he gets separation and uses his hands well to make himself open. … He’ll beat almost anyone for jump balls. He’ll be a quarterback’s best friend; throw the ball in his area and he’ll go get it. … Athletic. Could be a devastating goal line receiver.

Negatives: Character. Drunk driving issues were a problem. Has enough of a record that one more screw up will be a huge problem. … Not a blazer. A more physical receiver than a speed target. Won’t be a top-end deep threat. … A few durability concerns with a hamstring injury and broken collarbone. His still will get him beaten up.

3. Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina (Jr.) 6-4, 230 Proj. 2
    Positives: Ideal size. Huge and knows how to use his bulk. He looks the part of an NFL No. 1 receiver. … Busts his tail. Little bust potential when it comes to attitude and drive. He won’t go diva on an NFL team, and if it doesn’t work out, it won’t be because of want-to. … Throw the ball up and he’ll go and get it. He’ll beat out almost any corner for the ball in a one-on-one situation. … He dominated as a sophomore. He might have been a top ten overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft.

Negatives: One of 2011’s biggest disappointments with the spotlight on. It wasn’t his all his fault with the mediocre quarterback play. His production was almost cut in half from 2010 and didn’t come up with a 100-yard game until the bowl game – and that came because he made a play on a Hail Mary. … He doesn’t have top-end NFL speed. Not quick or sudden. … A minor academic problem at USC. He didn’t miss any game time, but he needed to work to get in everyone’s good graces.

4. Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers (Jr.) 6-2, 218 Proj. 2

Positives: Good size and good overall athleticism. The coaching staff invented ways to get the ball in his hands. … Great inside and out. Has the toughness and the make-up to make the tough catch across the middle and then do something with it. … Has a nice next gear. Once he gets going, he’s excellent on the move. … A playmaker. A better player on film than he’ll be in workouts. … Could be an ideal No. 2 receiver. Knows what he’s doing and will more than his share of one-on-one battles.

Negatives: Not explosive. Not a sudden, shifty target. … Could use more polish as a route runner. Has to be more precise after spending his career getting the ball in his hands and doing something with it. … Banged up a bit. Had a few issues that he fought through, but suffered a few shots. … He doesn’t have No. 1 ability. Not good enough to revolve an NFL passing game around.

5. Kendall Wright, Baylor 5-10, 194 Proj. 1

Positives: Terrific deep speed. A home run hitter who tracks the ball extremely well and finds ways to make things happen down the field. Forget about what he times; he’s football fast. … Zips in and out of his breaks. Shifty and cuts extremely well. … Still a work in progress in a good way. He has the basic tools and the requisite speed, but he still has to keep working on his technique, his strength, and his polish. Unlike Justin Blackmon and several other top prospect, there’s still a lot of room to improve on an already good prospect. … A fighter. Loves the game and wants to be the main man.

Negatives: Part of the system. He wasn’t asked to do much more than get down the field in the wide-open Baylor offense, and it helped to have a mobile quarterback like Robert Griffin to get him the ball. … Does he have what it takes to make the improvements needed to be great? The tools are there, but he has to work – really, really work – to go from being a functional NFL starter to a true No. 1. … Not big. He doesn’t have a big frame and can’t add much bulk.

6. Dwight Jones, North Carolina 6-4, 226 Proj. 3
    Positives: HUGE. Got bigger over the last year adding bulk to an already big frame. … Physical and fast for his size. He has all the tools and the upside to become a dangerous prospect. … A deep target. Could be a matchup nightmare on downfield plays. … There’s a ton of upside. He’s not finished and has to work on being a better all-around player. If a coach can light a fire under him and if he wants to become special, he has the raw talent to potentially be the best receiver in the draft.

Negatives: Needs a lot of work. He’s not a good route runner and has to be better working the whole tree. … Needs to want it. Reputation for not going the extra mile to become great. … Not necessarily a fighter. He has first round skills who could be a mid-round pick because he’s hardly a sure thing.

7. Rueben Randle, LSU (Jr.) 6-4, 205 Proj. 2
    Positives: A superstar high school prospect who could be a far better pro than a collegian. He never got top-shelf quarterback play and could go from good to phenomenal with a passer who knows what he’s doing. … The tools are all there. He’s a big deep threat who knows what to do with the ball in his hands. … Can work in a variety of roles. Can play inside or out.

Negatives: Didn’t have to run a full tree often enough. He was the deep threat who produced when everyone loaded up to stop the run. … Erased by Alabama. Caught five passes for 32 yards in the two big games of 2011. … Didn’t make enough plays as a top-flight No. 1 receiver. Didn’t do enough after the catch on a consistent basis.

8. Jeff Fuller, Texas A&M 6-4, 217 Proj. 4
    Positives: Right out of central casting. If you were to come up with what you’d want an NFL wide receiver to look like, he is it with tremendous size and bulk. … Strong and great when he gets the ball put his way. Get the ball in the right area and he has the physical ability to go and grab it. … There’s upside. He could be a better pro with the right coaching and a few adjustments.

Negatives: There’s something missing. He should’ve done far more and didn’t progress and didn’t make the big strides he should’ve. … Doesn’t have top end speed. He’ll time well for his size, but he doesn’t get great separation. … Doesn’t use his size and physical tools well enough. It could require a slight adjustment, but he loses too many jump balls and drops too many passes.

9. Chris Givens, Wake Forest (Jr.) 6-1, 207 Proj. 3
    Positives: Ultra-productive in an offense that didn’t exactly bomb away. Turned into a big play target showing off good football speed. … A nice route runner. Has the potential to become a tough and reliable mid-to-deep target. … Good across the middle. Not just a one-trick target and isn’t afraid to come up with a block.

Negatives: Not known for being a big-time worker in the weight room. … Huge bust potential. While he has supposedly changed his attitude and now seems to “get it,” he has to show he’s ready to take his game to another level and do all the work needed once he arrives. … Doesn’t have elite tools. Not big, slight, and doesn’t have elite speed.

10. Marvin McNutt, Iowa 6-2, 238 Proj. 4

Positives: The former quarterback plays like he knows where he’s supposed to be. He understands route running and is ultra-reliable. … Good size and knows how to use it. Walls himself off well from defenders and fights for the ball. Uses his hands well. … Ready out of the box. He’s smart enough to get a playbook and be used as a No. 2 receiver right away.

Negatives: Not the greatest athlete. He looks like a former quarterback playing wide receiver. … This is it. He can improve a bit on his mechanics and can be a more polished route runner in terms of his suddenness, but this is what he’s going to be. That’s not bad, but there’s limited upside. … Should be erased by any upper-level NFL corner. He’s not going to produce in one-on-one situations against a No. 1 corner.

Interesting Stephen Hill didn't even make the list ... Goes to show you how a running a quick 40 time at the combine can trump lack of production on the field of play. The one thing that stands out to me about Blackmon is the guy seems to have the heart of a lion. He just doesn't know how to take plays off. I have no idea where he'll be drafted, but should he become a Ram, I doubt any of us will be calling him a bust after his first year. The kid just flat out makes plays over and over against the best. Works for me ..

RebelYell is offline Registered User

It says in the TITLE it's pre-combine.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Hill and Floyd had good combines, but I came out of it even more convinced of how much better Blackmon is compared to the other receivers. The good depth at the position seemed far less impressive than before. Blackmon is the only top ten worthy WR. Floyd is worthy of a mid first round pick, and I still believe Wright is worthy of a pick in that range too, as long at he can break 4.5 in his pro day.

The only way Blackmon can hurt his stock is if he runs a 40 time over 4.6, and the only way he drops out of the first round is if he runs over 4.65. Larry Fitzgerald ran a 4.6 at the combine, but his measurables were better. If he runs in the 4.5s, which he should, there's no question that he is worth the #2 pick along with Claiborne and Kalil. The problem with speed is that most players don't play at full speed. Desean Jackson and Mike Wallace play at full speed, making them huge mismatches. Blackmon is slower than other players (like Floyd and Hill), but on the field he plays faster. He's in and out of breaks faster. He's eating up CB cushion faster. When he's in the open field he doesn't get caught. That's all I need to see.

This time last year, when talking about Blackmon, most people said how he wasn't a great route runner and only ran streaks that relied on his speed and size. This year he worked on his route running and ran less streaks and analysts said he couldn't get over the top. He plays bigger than his size, and faster than his speed. He's compared a lot to Boldin, and Nicks. Slow guys with great body control and size who can move the chains. That's his floor. He looks like Terrell Owens running routes and with the ball in his hands. His ceiling is a Owens, Fitzgerald type of player. Don't jump off the bandwagon because he didn't run or can't run a 4.4, jump off because you don't like his tape, because you don't like how he wins jump balls, carries defenders for extra yards, makes great sideline catches, is uncatchable in the open field, and is able to carry his built up speed out of his breaks.

By the way with Hill. He made huge plays and had a ridiculous yards per catch average, but he missed just as many plays as he made. Blackmon may not of had 30 YPC but he would of caught more balls, made more plays, and had more TDs and yards because of it. The same with Hill in OSU, he wouldn't have made as many plays as Blackmon because he's not as consistent.

Kalil is the better prospect. Maybe Claiborne is a better prospect. He's still worthy of a top 5 pick. Trading with Washington sucks because the huge possibility is that all 3 of those guys are gone and the only blue-chip player left worthy of #6 is Richardson, an amazing prospect, but a horrible value. I don't see a difference between pick 2 and 4. If Blackmon is worthy of 4 he is worthy of 2. Blackmon/Kalil at 2 is just worse than Blackmon/Kalil at 4 + 4 more picks.
    ManofGod likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    2012 NFL Combine - Receiver Analysis (PRE-COMBINE)

By Pete Fiutak

1. Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State (Jr.) 6-1, 210 Proj. 1

Positives: Very strong, very tough. Is physical and will push cornerbacks around. … Ultra-consistent. Even with everyone focusing on him, he still produced all the time. … Not afraid to make the tough grab in traffic. He’ll go over the middle and he’ll always find a way to make the big play. … Great hands. It’s always a shocker when he comes up with a drop. He’ll hit. He’s a willing, tough blocker who’ll be great for a ground game. … Great route runner. Dependable.

Negatives: Doesn’t have it athletically and will be way, way, WAY overdrafted. Worth a late first round pick but not a top ten NFL athlete and certainly not worth the No. 2 to St. Louis. … He has the bulk, but he’s not fast, isn’t tall, and isn’t quick. … The elite NFL receivers – Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald – who were drafted high are big and fast and tall. Blackmon will be a good pro, but his upside is Anquan Boldin. … He’s not going to be a YAC guy. He’s not going to do as much in the open field as he’ll need to as a top draft pick. ... Pumped up numbers playing in the Oklahoma State system.
    Larry Fitzgerald ran a 4.63 40. Andre Johnson is 1-2 inches taller and ran a 4.41 at his Miami pro day, which the guys of NFLN said was one of the faster tracks. That time would be a 4.5 (4.45-4.53) at the combine, which is the speed Blackmon is probably in. Calvin Johnson is a freak, he is a megatron.

His positives seem like a pretty good list. His only negative is his program (OSU spread) and his size and speed. If he was 6'2 and ran a 4.4 this guy wouldn't be able to think of a negative. A tenth of a second and an inch seem stupid. He's not 5'10, and he doesn't play short like 6'.

EDIT - Everyone on here seemed like they wanted Stevie Johnson, who is a good receiver, and was willing to pay 8 million a year to sign him. For comparisons sake, Stevie Johnson is 6'2 and ran a 4.59 at the combine. Stevie is probably slower than Blackmon.
    Last edited by codeman123; -02-28-2012 at 04:02 PM.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    It says in the TITLE it's pre-combine.
    That was my notation (PRE-COMBINE) to be fair, point being that inflated combo numbers can for some teams trump film and several years of college production or lack of it .. Think Raiders and Al Davis for one ..

I have high hopes for this year's draft and FA period. Why? Because I believe from the top down, our new FO/coaching staff know what type of players they are looking for. I don't believe they will be distracted by superfluous bells and whistles. If Fish and crew decide it's worth it to take a flyer in the later rounds on a guy, fine - but I don't think they will be inclined to gamble on day one ..
    Last edited by MauiRam; -02-28-2012 at 04:30 PM.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Something I do not get is this entire speed argument at all....Does his timed speed in gym shorts really matter???

Put on the game tape look you see him beating corners and safeties down the middle and on streak routes, you do not see defenders catching up to him on break away TDs; when i look at his game speed i find it to be great.

And when it comes to the height problem do you see how high Blackmon gets? Look up his sports science videos he gets up higher than Plaxico Burress who is 6-5; Also look at his college game again and see how many passes he caught underthrown or overthrown he makes up for his "lack" of height with his range.

ONE MORE THING: Calvin Johnson, Fitz, and andre johnson are NOT!!!!! in this draft so lets stop comparing them to Blackmon; We should take the player that will help our team the MOST not base our selection on if the guy is good enough to be picked high based on prior drafts it is a completely stupid notion

Prime Example: Cam Newton was a graded a top 10 pick; but compared to prior #1 overall QBs picks he did not have nearly as much accuracy; yet the Panthers took him because they thought he would help there team out the most

So can we stop this stupid notion of "blackmon is a great talent he would really help the team but he is not as good as receivers who were taken years ago and are not in this draft"?
    ManofGod likes this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

So youve changed your mind because Floyd is two inches taller and around 15 lbs heavier?

Lets see here. Heres the comparison IMO.

Route Running-Blackmon
    Hands-Blackmon
    Seperation-Blackmon(After what we've went through with Rams receivers, this is very important to me)
    Size-Floyd
    Speed-Floyd(Could Change but close)
    Athleticism-Slightly Blackmon
    Hardest to bring down-Blackmon

By the way, on that sports science show they showed how Blackmon can catch a ball three inches higher than the 6'5" Plaxico Burress from a standing jump. He can make up for his average height with athleticism.

With that said if we trade to far down and Blackmons gone, hello Michael Floyd.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -02-28-2012 at 06:03 PM.
    ManofGod likes this.

MACD is offline Registered User

Interesting that Blackmon measured even shorter than listed. Not hearing good things about his interviews.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MACD View Post
    Interesting that Blackmon measured even shorter than listed. Not hearing good things about his interviews.
    He listed 1/8 of an inch shorter.......not a big deal. Havent heard much about his interview, just heard he did great in the drills he participated in. Ran great route and hands were great.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

What are you hearing / where can I read about it?

Everyone has been saying the opposite.

" Jim Thomas - In case you were wondering, Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon did meet w/Rams at combine and meeting went well according to league sources."
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123