Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rambos

Thread: Immediate Impact? (What each of the Big 5 would bring as rookies)

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Immediate Impact? (What each of the Big 5 would bring as rookies)

The "Big 5" prospects each has the potential to be a star in the NFL. But, would it happen overnight?

Here's what I would expect from each of the Big 5 as rookies if they end up on the Rams.

Jadeveon Clowney
    He would start his career in a rotation with Robert Quinn, Chris Long and, to a lesser extent, William Hayes. I'm sure the Rams would want him on the field on 3rd and long (probably moving Long inside). While Clowney might not be thrilled with being a rotation player, he would have the benefit of a lot of one-on-one match-ups (something he rarely saw in college). I suspect he'd have somewhere in the neighborhood of 7-10 sacks as a rookie.

Khalil Mack
    Mack would be expected to start the year at SLB, with Alec Ogletree and James Laurinaitis manning the other spots. The question would be... who comes off the field on passing downs? I think that Gregg Williams would want to have Mack on the field for blitz packages, but the other two players would be hard to sit. Even as a 2 1/2 down player, though, I think Mack would have a lot of tackles and his share of impact plays.

Jake Matthews
    Matthews could start the year at LT, if Jake Long is not ready, or RT, if he beats out Joe Barksdale. At worst, he would slide inside and play OG, though I don't think that would be the best use of his skills. Given his experience and success in college, I'd want him guarding the edge, which would be very beneficial for Sam Bradford.

Greg Robinson
    In Robinson's case, the thought of an initial assignment at OG makes more sense. Robinson's one weakness - dealing with fast edge rushers, would not be an issue, and he could be a dominant force on the inside. Truth told, if he's the next John Hannah or Larry Allen, maybe OG would be his best use in the long run too. If thrown into the LT spot due to Long's injury, I think he could get some early criticism.

Sammy Watkins
    Of all the Big 5, Watkins would be under the most pressure to produce right away. Anything short of 60 receptions, 900 yards, and 6 TDs, might be considered a "slow start" for such a highly regarded WR prospect. Watkins' impact, however, could go beyond his own stats, as his presence might also help Tavon Austin take the next step toward reaching his potential.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Re: Immediate Impact? (What each of the Big 5 would bring as rookies)

I think any of those five have the ability to fulfill their respective scenarios.

Being that a WR is a tough position to begin with for a rookie, I do believe Watkins would have the toughest time.

The OTs are going to be balls out, whether taking over for RT or moving in to OG. Their performance will be measured in how well Bradford stays up, and how well Stacey is doing hitting holes. The Defensive guys both play a position DE and SLB that will get a lot of attention and should excel well.

Watkins has to benefit from a passing game that will target him, the other receivers that Bradford, who in the past has shown a bit of favoritism, to spread it out, plus dealing with a team that may very well stay highly run oriented limiting his production.

All five should have an immediate and quite strong impact to our team, and any other team, but depending on factors mentioned above Watkins might have to stay patient.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Thinking about moving either Matthews or Robinson inside to Guard made me think: at some point we "could" have a line of.....Long - Matthews/Robinson - Jones - Saffold - Barksdale.

All of which are 3 years or less removed from being a starter at LT. Probably not a lot of lines in the NFL that can say that.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

Sammy Watkins
    Of all the Big 5, Watkins would be under the most pressure to produce right away. Anything short of 60 receptions, 900 yards, and 6 TDs, might be considered a "slow start" for such a highly regarded WR prospect. Watkins' impact, however, could go beyond his own stats, as his presence might also help Tavon Austin take the next step toward reaching his potential.
    I was thinking about this yesterday... what would he really bring in year one. 700-900 yards and 4-8 TDs.

That said for me adding Greg Robinson makes more sense. From a production stand point he could help Zac get 1100-1300 yards and open holes down in the redzone for walk-in TDs. Protect Sam from some of those inside stunts, Williams sometimes would get manhandled. The passing game as a whole will be more productive with more time in the pocket and play action passes down field that take time to develop.
    Richbert88 likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Thinking about moving either Matthews or Robinson inside to Guard made me think: at some point we "could" have a line of.....Long - Matthews/Robinson - Jones - Saffold - Barksdale.

All of which are 3 years or less removed from being a starter at LT. Probably not a lot of lines in the NFL that can say that.
    Versatility at it's finest.

THE DREAM TEAM

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I think all 5 would make an impact. The most valuable to me if in fact the impact is immediate would be Watkins.