Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Impact defender at #2? I'd consider Anthony Barr over Jadeveon Clowney

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Impact defender at #2? I'd consider Anthony Barr over Jadeveon Clowney

The most common explanation given by those who advocate taking Jadeveon Clowney at #2 is: "can you imagine him rushing from one end and Robert Quinn on the other?"

The most common criticism of this plan is that the Rams already have a starting DE opposite Robert Quinn who has recorded 33 sacks in the last three years.

Still, I can understand the desire to add to the Rams' pass rush and make it and unstoppable force. After all, fierce pass rushing teams (i.e. the Giants) have been the kryptonite for some of the best offenses in recent years (i.e. the Patriots).

But, if that is the goal, is Clowney - who would be a rotation player (at least intitially) the only option?

Maybe not.

How about Anthony Barr?

Barr, like Clowney, is a defensive playmaker. In the last two years, he has recorded 148 tackles, 41 tackles for loss, 23.5 sacks, and 10 forced fumbles. In fact, at least from a statistical standpoint, his resume is more impressive than Clowney's.

Here's the big difference: Barr could line up at SLB on first and second down. While he might be a bit raw in that role, he certainly has the right size for the position (6'4, 248), and his speed and athletic abilities would likely allow him to handle the job as he learns the nuances of the position (much like Alec Ogletree this year).

On passing downs, Long could move inside, while Bar could line up on the end. This would allow both players to play 3 downs, rather than relying on a rotation to give each sufficient playing time.

Understand... I'm not ready to abandon my approach to the No. 2 pick (trade down or Jake Matthews), but if the Rams want to go for a defensive playmaker, I think Barr could be a better option than Clowney.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Re: Impact defender at #2? I'd consider Anthony Barr over Jadeveon Clowney

I wouldn't mind Barr or Clowney. I do like the prospect of Barr being able to play SLB. You know what we can dream of that would be awesome? The browns really want that #2 pick. So they trade us #4 and #26 for #2 and a later round pick. We can pick up Barr with #4 and have 2 picks left in the first round.

A fan can dream can't he?
    Rammed, ManofGod and Randart like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RuffRams View Post
    I wouldn't mind Barr or Clowney. I do like the prospect of Barr being able to play SLB. You know what we can dream of that would be awesome? The browns really want that #2 pick. So they trade us #4 and #26 for #2 and a later round pick. We can pick up Barr with #4 and have 2 picks left in the first round.
    Nothing wrong with that plan!

A fan can dream can't he?
    At this point, that's all the fans of 28 of the 32 teams in the NFL can do until September!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

The Von Miller plan. With the exception of the time he's missed for accidentally tripping and falling on hypodermic needles full of testosterone, that plan has certainly worked well for the Broncos.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

bruce4life is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    The Von Miller plan. With the exception of the time he's missed for accidentally tripping and falling on hypodermic needles full of testosterone, that plan has certainly worked well for the Broncos.
    Von Miller was suspended for testing postive for Ecstacy.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Von Miller was suspended for testing postive for Ecstacy.
    Really? I did not know that.

That's kind of dumb. He would have served himself better had he done steroids. I'm not sure how X would improve someones performance on the field.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Here’s a recent mock from a pretty popular website in St Louis. Funny how some people just don’t want to give Clowney his due. Guess you can pick any player apart if you want. In this draft Barr falls all the way to pick 22. Rams could have had both players if they wanted. I've not seen one mock or player ranking where Barr is ahead of Clowney.

2. St. Louis Rams (via WashingtonRedskins) - JadeveonClowney, Defensive End, South Carolina: The St. Louis Rams are in a curious spot. They didn't play themselves into this pick, so they don't have too many glaring needs that fit the positional value of this pick. Quarterbackis a sore spot for St. Louis, but the Rams haven't yet given any indication that SamBradford's time is up. Until they do, this pick is complicated.
    St. Louis shelled out a lot of money for Jake Long last offseason, but he went down with an injury at the end of the year. Joe Barksdale also played well at times in 2013. Is offensive tackle really a big enough need to justify passing up on a once-in-a-generation pass rusher? RobertQuinn and ChrisLong are both outstanding ends for St. Louis, and the interior of the defensive line is in good shape. But Jadeveon Clowney is so versatile that it'stough for any team to argue it doesn't "need" him. This is abest-player-available selection.
    22. PhiladelphiaEagles - Anthony Barr, Linebacker, UCLA: Anthony Barr is not quite as impressive as his stats indicated. Despite his first step and length, he still lacks some of the natural movement skills required to be a dominant player on the edge. He struggles to make tackles in space and lacks secondary pass rushmoves. If anyone will appreciate Barr's speed and fit for the 3-4 defense,however, it could be Chip Kelly. He could use Barr similarly to how he used DionJordan at Oregon.
    Last edited by jerseyramsfan; -01-13-2014 at 02:08 PM.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Really? I did not know that.

That's kind of dumb. He would have served himself better had he done steroids. I'm not sure how X would improve someones performance on the field.

One of the most effective pre workout supplement stacks ever was/is the ECA stack.

This is a process in which you stack Ephedrine, Caffiene, and Aspirin.
    This stack not only increases you metabolism, but increases fat burning thereby giving you more energy to workout with, and it also gives you a eurphoric feeling. The feeling of intense well being helps when you are working out as it keep you positive.

These subtances used to be readily available over the counter at any store -- ephidrine was supplied by using Sudafed (pseudo-ephidrine).

Ephedrine is a banned substance today because 1) people have died using it and 2) it has a precursor that can be extracted to make Crystal Meth and--- ecstacy.

The people who die from use are the idiots who have the the "more is better" mentality and overdose on it.
    And as we all know-- any substance that you OD on can yield less than ideal results, including death (alcohol anyone?).

Anyhow-- yes, Im an avid gym rat, I used to use that stack, and still look for substitutes today.

So the fact that Von Miller tested postive for ecstacy has merit to me. Im sure it wasnt ecstacy per se, but a compound akin to the ECA stack.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

What are the odds that you have TWO "Once in a decade" defensive players in a draft?

If Clowney certainly is one, I really can't see that in Barr, who fits best in a 3-4 anyway.

I am also leary of UCLA guys. Datone Jones, a first rounder last year, did very little as a rookie.

Is Barr just another Akeem Ayers, a good, but not great player? Or is he a Brian Price, UCLA DT who busted out after a couple NFL seasons.

The last great UCLA defensive player drafted high that made it big in the NFL was Jamir Miller, who came out in 1994.

To me, that's a bit of a red flag on Barr, who simply doesn't fit the Rams scheme.

If the Rams go BPA, it would be Clowney for sure, if he doesn't go 1st.
    Barry Waller

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Also, Clowney could be a guy who plays inside on passing downs, like Sims and Hayes do now.
    Barry Waller

I am always leary of the player who played X, but had to play Y to get a position on a team and then all of a sudden is an all world player at a position he hasnt played for most of his high school and college career.

You go from a running back to linebacker...is like going from tight end to all world left tackle =P

Just saying.....

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan
    I've not seen one mock or player ranking where Barr is ahead of Clowney.

I'm hardly the first to suggest that they are comparable prospects. Do a Google search of both of their names, and you'll find several articles and comments from analysts who have suggested this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryWaller
    What are the odds that you have TWO "Once in a decade" defensive players in a draft?

If Clowney certainly is one
    He is? Based on what? Hyperbole assigned by people in the media?

Barr had a much better year than Clowney in 2013, and as good a year in 2012. Does on-field production count for nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by BarryWaller
    Also, Clowney could be a guy who plays inside on passing downs, like Sims and Hayes do now.
    Well, sure he could be. But if you're going to pigeonhole Barr as a "3-4 OLB," then how can you, in the same breath, project Clowney at DT (even on a part-time basis)?
    Randart likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    I am always leary of the player who played X, but had to play Y to get a position on a team and then all of a sudden is an all world player at a position he hasnt played for most of his high school and college career.

You go from a running back to linebacker...is like going from tight end to all world left tackle =P

Just saying.....
    You kind of lost me there.

Are you saying that you don't think Barr can play OLB in 4-3, or that Clowney can't play DT in a 4-3, or both?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You kind of lost me there.

Are you saying that you don't think Barr can play OLB in 4-3, or that Clowney can't play DT in a 4-3, or both?
    I was making a reference to Jason Smith-- the former Baylor TE that switch to Offensive tackle. Im skeptical of Barr in that he was a RB until very recently.

I dont mind Clowney-- I think Fisher can get him to show up for at least 4 years, much like he did with Albert Haynsworth.

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    I was making a reference to Jason Smith-- the former Baylor TE that switch to Offensive tackle. Im skeptical of Barr in that he was a RB until very recently.
    "Very recently"? He played the last two full seasons at OLB, and has played lights out.

I dont mind Clowney-- I think Fisher can get him to show up for at least 4 years, much like he did with Albert Haynsworth.
    If Clowney is the next Haynesworth, I'll pass.
    RosieJones likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast