Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Impact defender at #2? I'd consider Anthony Barr over Jadeveon Clowney

emuen is offline Registered User

Re: Impact defender at #2? I'd consider Anthony Barr over Jadeveon Clowney

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    So what's your theory? That Clowney has surpassed Barr since November? And how did he manage that?
    Well your source on the mock has changed his mind, and has the Rams drafting Clowney now. Maybe the only thing that has changed is that Mr Burke has seen more film on the two of them?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    I've heard a lot of bad things about Barr's tape. Seen multiple scouts, posters, talent evaluators say he's not nearly as impressive on tape as his stats would lead you to believe.
    Which scouts and talent evaluators? (I'm not interested in "posters").

Give us some sources so we can evaluate your assertion.

Here are a few sources gathered by Rotoworld:

Anthony Barr - LB - Bruins
    NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah called UCLA senior OLB Anthony Barr a "big time player!"

"Anthony Barr is an ideal 3-4 OLB," Jeremiah tweeted. "Outstanding length, athleticism & burst ... raw pass rusher but he has the tools. High ceiling, high floor." In their most recent mock drafts at CBSSports.com, both Rob Rang and Dane Brugler had Barr going to the Raiders at No. 4. While Barr has thus far failed to supplant Jadeveon Clowney as the consensus No. 1 defender, he should be the second non-QB taken in May.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter
    Thu, Dec 26, 2013 06:42:00 PM

ESPN's Mel Kiper and Todd McShay agree that UCLA senior OLB Anthony Barr is the No. 2 overall prospect in the 2014 class.

Both also have South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney as the No. 1 prospect. " As I mentioned above, he's playing well enough that NFL teams could have some serious internal debates over whether to take him over Clowney in May's draft," McShay writes.

Source: ESPN
    Thu, Nov 21, 2013 01:47:00 PM

CBS Sports' Bruce Feldman believes UCLA senior OLB Anthony Barr has been the top defensive player this season.

"Some guys seem like they ease up when they come back for one more year," one NFL scout told Feldman. "Not Barr. He's only continued to get better and play faster. It probably won't take him that long to make an impact when he gets up to our level." From a talent perspective, we still prefer Jadeveon Clowney, but don't be shocked if Barr is selected over the Gamecock.

Quote Originally Posted by emuen View Post
    Well your source on the mock has changed his mind, and has the Rams drafting Clowney now. Maybe the only thing that has changed is that Mr Burke has seen more film on the two of them?
    You're missing the point.

My opinion is not based upon what Chris Burke thinks. Rather, I cited to him because it was suggested that nobody has Barr ranked at Clowney's level. Clearly, that is wrong. There are many who have them ranked neck-and-neck.

I give the edge to Barr based on his position (SLB), compared to Clowney's (DE).

citr92 is offline Registered User

wouldn't want that, don't want clowney, and i certainly don't want barr

he's the only ucla guy that i wouldn't want to draft for more than just not fitting the team

he's been so proud of his hit on barkley that injured him, and people seem to obsess over it too

heck, he won the lott award and they played that clip...completely surprised me

classless

that said, couldn't root for this guy

richtree is offline Registered User

Sure any team could use more defense, but the Rams need offense, offense, offense.

No safety should be a top 15 pick, unless you think he is a legit pro-bowler for next 5-7 seasons...safeties can be found anywhere, heck, Will Hill started for the Giants half the games.

The Rams need a CB if they let C.Finnegan go.....that is a top priority, but as a team offense is a bigger need.

Top "draft" priorites are OT, WR, CB, OG, CB, OLB, , FS, QB, CB, C, RB

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Sure any team could use more defense, but the Rams need offense, offense, offense.

No safety should be a top 15 pick, unless you think he is a legit pro-bowler for next 5-7 seasons...safeties can be found anywhere, heck, Will Hill started for the Giants half the games.

The Rams need a CB if they let C.Finnegan go.....that is a top priority, but as a team offense is a bigger need.

Top "draft" priorites are OT, WR, CB, OG, CB, OLB, , FS, QB, CB, C, RB
    You missed the point of the thread.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I don't know what to make of Barr honestly. His stats are impressive and he's currently ranked as a high first rounder, but he really hasn't impressed me in the times I've seen him play. Granted it's only been a few times, but you'd think that would be enough to come away impressed by someone so highly touted.

I said in another post that I'd be ecstatic if we drafted him after a trade down, but the more I think about the times I've seen him play, the more I realize that I based that solely on the fact that he's ranked so high and not necessarily because I think he's this can't-miss prospect. Obviously he has the tools, but how many times have we said that about a player?

But to be honest, I wasn't really impressed with Alec Ogletree at this stage last year either, and he had a good rookie season, so who knows what lies ahead for Barr.

Guess I'll go youtube him right now.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You missed the point of the thread.
    I see your point of the thread, but why talk about a position we don't need...Colts ain't talking QB...so lets get over it .....my point is NOT FOR RAMS

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I see your point of the thread, but why talk about a position we don't need...Colts ain't talking QB...so lets get over it .....my point is NOT FOR RAMS
    No, you clearly missed the point.

This thread asks you to start with a presumption: that the Rams wish to take an impact defender with their first selection.

If you are unable or unwilling to accept the premise of the hypothetical, then this is clearly not the thread for you.

Also, the Rams DO have a need at SLB (though its certainly not their top need), so the analogy to the Colts taking a QB in the first round fails completely.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Barr may be our man if we go defense. Remember when the Texans had the 1st pick in the draft and the top 2 prospects were Mario Williams and Reggie Bush.....I know different regime at Houston but same owner.....All I'm saying is that Houston could surprise us all and take Clowney even though they need a QB.
    Randart likes this.

Randart is offline Registered User

As a UCLA fan of the past few decades I have watched A. Barr quite a few times, and here is my take on the guy. Many like his ability to be an outside linebacker his position atm. Often heard guys say he is good to excellent in coverage, but I donot agree there. I think he is excellent making plays on the rush reading screens and breaking up runs etc. Getting after the QB is his best role. So to have him play a couple years as a Line Backer might be a good idea if you can help him cover and don't expect him to cover a guy with the jitter bug quickness of a Shady McCoy shall we say.

Just let him get into that mode and then if a defensive end position opens due to injury or someone like Robert Q. or Chris L. leaves he just plugs right into their slot. As AvR suggests he is versitile enough to play end now on certain situations and fall back to cover short screens and read the runs etc at LB. I would definately want Barr over Clowney. But that is me, I know many love them some JC but the guy scares me allot...
    AvengerRam likes this.

BarronWade is online now Registered User

AV do you have a personal vendetta against drafting JD CLowney?

This goes right back to value argument...You dont draft a OLB in a 4-3 at #2 it makes no sense...and a couple years ago people including ESPN were declaring RG3 and Luck neck and neck but it is clear one very good prospect the other is a once in a generation prospect which is what we have in Clowney vs. Barr

I apologize I did not quote it but you bring up a case where Clowney maybe only a situational guy but wouldn't that be the case for Barr as well because with Ogletree and JLau; Barr is not playing on third down probably the most impactful down for a defense.

And as for saying move Long inside and Barr outside on 3rd down why cant Clowney and Long keep change spots to confuse the Defense on 1st 2nd and 3rd down...Your forgetting how good clowney is in shedding blocks and getting off the line to take down RBs (ask michigan about this one)

Its just something to spark up talks Clowney is clearly the best prospect in this draft...If you compare the pass rush repertoire and pass rush abilities you would insane to think Barr is superior to Clowney...Also you would be crazy to think Ocoordinators in college schemed more against Barr than Clowney...IT is obvious who the better prospect is
    jerseyramsfan likes this.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    AV do you have a personal vendetta against drafting JD CLowney?
    This goes right back to value argument...You dont draft a OLB in a 4-3 at #2 it makes no sense...and a couple years ago people including ESPN were declaring RG3 and Luck neck and neck but it is clear one very good prospect the other is a once in a generation prospect which is what we have in Clowney vs. Barr

I apologize I did not quote it but you bring up a case where Clowney maybe only a situational guy but wouldn't that be the case for Barr as well because with Ogletree and JLau; Barr is not playing on third down probably the most impactful down for a defense.

And as for saying move Long inside and Barr outside on 3rd down why cant Clowney and Long keep change spots to confuse the Defense on 1st 2nd and 3rd down...Your forgetting how good clowney is in shedding blocks and getting off the line to take down RBs (ask michigan about this one)

Its just something to spark up talks Clowney is clearly the best prospect in this draft...If you compare the pass rush repertoire and pass rush abilities you would insane to think Barr is superior to Clowney...Also you would be crazy to think Ocoordinators in college schemed more against Barr than Clowney...IT is obvious who the better prospect is
    Seems like anytime somone mentions Clowney AV always has something negative to say...
    Totally Agree Clowney is the clear #1 player in this draft... If he came out last year he would of been #1... I do agree with needing a OT but not at the cost of passing on Clowney...

RealRam is offline Registered User

As for impact player, I'll go the convenient, easy rout: Barr / Clowney ... win - win situation!

No doubt A. Barr is a very promising LB w/ great size at 6-4, 237 lbs. - -

Unsure about #2 pick though.

OVERVIEW

At this time last year, Barr was in the process of transitioning from running back to the defensive side of the ball. Now? He has a full season under him at linebacker and is entering his senior season as one of the Pac-12's top defenders, leading the team in sacks (13.5) and tackles for loss (21.5) in 2012.

During the recruiting process, the Bruins' promise to keep him as a ballcarrier on offense swayed him to UCLA, but with the new coaching staff and a crowded backfield, Barr agreed to move to linebacker last spring. He flourished at the new position as a junior and should only improve as a senior.

Many scouts feel the sky is the limit for his NFL potential with another productive year rushing the passer.

--Dane Brugler
    ANALYSIS

Strengths: Long, lean athletic frame with plenty of room for additional musculature. Light, quick feet. Good balance and flexibility to change directions and to avoid cut-blocks. Good bend to dip under the reach of pass blockers and possesses the acceleration to close on the ball. An explosive hitter who can dislodge the ball (four forced fumbles in 2012). Good vision and lateral agility to work twists, showing an active jab-step to get the left tackle moving outside before circling back inside to attack the gaps between interior linemen. Possesses long arms and surprising strength to hold up at the point and keep his containment responsibilities. Very smooth in his acceleration when tracking in pursuit, showing good lateral agility and vision to avoid downfield blockers and the strength to pull down ballcarriers from behind. Experienced and active special teams defender.

Weaknesses: Relies on his size and athleticism to make virtually all of his plays. Extremely raw, especially in his use of hands. Is too easily locked up by offensive tackles, tight ends and even fullbacks because he doesn't keep his hands actively ripping away at blockers' attempts to grasp onto his jersey. Loses track of the football, at times, and must do a better job of pursuing downfield when he does find it. Relies too much on his natural explosiveness as a hitter, rather than wrapping his arms around the ballcarrier securely.

Compares To: Clay Matthews, OLB, Green Bay Packers -- Matthews may have emerged as one of the NFL's fiercest pass rushers now but he, like Barr, required quite a bit of polishing to become a consistently dominating force.
    12/31/2013
    PLAYERS TO WATCH: UCLA OLB Anthony Barr

Is one of the many stars on the Bruins stellar' linebacking corps. Barr has been the most disruptive in opposing team's backfields this season. The senior has 10 sacks and 22 tackles for losses and he has helped fuel a UCLA defense that ranks 23rd in the country in points allowed (36.5).

- The Sports Xchange
    12/26/2013
    CBSSPORTS.COM
    ALL-AMERICANS: 1ST-TEAM DEFENSE AS NFL DRAFT PROSPECTS: LB - Anthony Barr, Sr., UCLA

Barr's evolution from running back to outside linebacker and a potential top-five selection in the 2014 NFL draft is one of the more extraordinary developments in college football over the past two years. Powerful and athletic, Barr can be a terror off the edge, as his 20 tackles for loss, 10 sacks and five forced fumbles in 2013 attest. Scouts feel that Barr is stout enough to handle strongside duties in the 4-3 alignment but believe his best fit is as a stand-up outside linebacker in the 3-4.

- Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com
    12/13/2013
    2013 WALTER CAMP FIRST TEAM ALL-AMERICAN:
    LB Anthony Barr, UCLA, 6-4 248, Sr., San Pedro, CA...

The 2013 Lott IMPACT Trophy Winner, Barr led UCLA with 20 tackles for loss, 10 sacks, five forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries and totaled 62 tackles this season.

- UCLA football
    Last edited by RealRam; -01-14-2014 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Image

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast