Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mde8352gorams
  • 1 Post By HUbison
  • 1 Post By Richbert88

Thread: Improve the O-Line, Improve the O-Line, Improve the O-line

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Improve the O-Line, Improve the O-Line, Improve the O-line

Improve the O-line that's what I read all over the ClanRam.

I really don't think our O-line was bad at all last season. As a matter of fact I thought they did a fine job. Which leads me to the question....of the 32 teams in the NFL where would "you" have ranked our O-line at the end of last season? 1 being the highest ranking and 32 being the lowest.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: Improve the O-Line, Improve the O-Line, Improve the O-line

Tough one to pinpoint, but I'd say 16. I say that because we played well at times, but not so good at others. We could improve on pass protection to give Sam or Kellen more time in the pocket and we could have opened more holes for Zac to average better than 3-4 yards per carry, not that that is awful. Having said all this I agree with your point that we played fairly well. We need to add younger players and get more experienced at certain spots. Most importantly, stay healthy.

Go Rams!
    Rambos likes this.

RamFan876 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Improve the O-line that's what I read all over the ClanRam.

I really don't think our O-line was bad at all last season. As a matter of fact I thought they did a fine job. Which leads me to the question....of the 32 teams in the NFL where would "you" have ranked our O-line at the end of last season? 1 being the highest ranking and 32 being the lowest.
    I don't think anyone would be that worried if Long had not been injured at the end of last year. If they want a player that could definitely man the right side and step in if Long has complications, then taking Jake Matthews makes a lot of sense. It won't surprise me if they feel that the line is solid enough and look to the later rounds for backups but I won't be shocked if they take an offensive lineman early.

I would also rank them somewhere in the middle of the league last year. They ran the ball fairly well but the QB's didn't have a lot of time in the pocket. The line had to be part of the reason the Rams would only attempt a pass over 15 yards a few times a game.
    Last edited by RamFan876; -05-02-2014 at 02:45 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Excellent question. Based on rush yards per carry and sack percentage, I would say the Rams were middle of the road. They finished 17th in rush yards per carry. Almost exactly average. The sack percentage depends a little on the QB. Bradford's percentage ranked him 9th in the league, but Clemons was 26th. Combine those two and again, the line was right around the league average.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

macrammer is offline Registered User

Hey Hub,

What is your opinion on the difference between Sam (9) and KC (26)?

Mikey is offline Registered User

Overall I would put the line in the middle of the pack. LT was great while healthy our back up is slated to be Saffold, who was an average LT again when healthy. Our turnstile at left guard was bad. It was a constant weak spot in both pass and run blocking. Our Center wasn't very good, again when healthy and his back up was equally lack luster. Prior to Saffold taking over at RG Dahl was mediocre. We got an upgrade when he got hurt an Saffold stepped in but we're relying on an injury prone former tackle staying healthy to continue to be an upgrade there. Our RT was good in pass protection but was lack luster in run blocking. He is in a contract year after the first year in his career he was able to hold down a job in the NFL. This is a former 3rd round pick that was released two years after being drafted. the only reason I would put the line as high as I have is because of the exceptional play of Long and Saffold, when they were able to stay healthy.

i'll ask a question to respond to the topic though. How good does the line need to be for us as Rams fans to be happy with it? Personally I feel the offensive success hinges on the line. We absolutely need to do a better job protecting Sam and opening holes for the RB's. There is talent there now but they can't stay healthy. Until we have consistent, reliable and a wealth of talent there it won't be good enough for me and likely won't be good enough for the Rams to succeed.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Hey Hub,

What is your opinion on the difference between Sam (9) and KC (26)?
    Just my opinion, but I think Bradford got the ball out a little quicker than Clemons. There may be something more deep to it all, but honestly, I think Bradford just held the ball a little less time than Clemons did.
    Randart likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

I agree with everyone here the line played about middle of the pack. But this issue is not how it played last year but who will be playing going forward. Two of the starters are too old and often hurt Wells and Dahl. The LG play has been an issue and needs to be upgraded. Long is a question mark for the long and short term. It's time to build something that will be around awhile and stays healthy.

richtree is offline Registered User

Amen to this....

You can't find QBs or Oline during season...you can always find other players mid season via trade if needed

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Middle of the pack, wherever, we need to improve the line now, and for the long hall (no pun intended). There were too many instances of inconsistency, injury, and breakdowns in key games. To compete with the likes of Seattle and San Francisco, as well as make any kind of playoff push, we need Bradford in a reasonable comfort zone, and Stacy with some regular daylight to work with against tough defenses.

The OL should be THE priority.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Where the OL ranked league wide really shouldn't matter a whole lot. The Rams playing in the NFCW an OL to stand up to the division rivals DLs. That is a harder task than just standing up league average DLs, and is IMO the key to offensive success.

The Rams lost a minimum of three OLmen going into the season (Smith, Williams & Dahl), four if Long's return is not imminent. Jones may be able to step in for one of those.

OL improvement obviously improves so many positions that it isn't even necessary to list them.

This line needs to be developed and made dominant, and just one or two OLmen isn't going to get that done. Depth will also be needed.
    chiguy likes this.
    Semper Fi!

chiguy is online now Registered User

Richbert has it exactly right -- we're not going anyway on offense until our o-line can stand up to the division opponents d-lines. Right now, we've been losing that battle more than we've been winning it.