Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: To Improve The Passing Game, the Rams Need RUN BLOCKERS

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

To Improve The Passing Game, the Rams Need RUN BLOCKERS

Strange thread title?

Well, let me prove my point to you.

When I compare the 2012 Rams offense to the Niners and the Seahawks, I find myself asking the question: why were San Francisco and Seattle more efficient and more able to produce big plays in the passing game?

I don't believe that the answer is quarterback play. While many are singing the praises of young, mobile QBs like Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson, let us not forget that Alex Smith had a 100+ QB rating over 2/3 of the season. Does anyone think that Sam Bradford is inferior to Alex Smith?

I also reject the notion that it is entirely about weapons. While the Niners, with Vernon Davis and an emerging Michael Crabtree, certainly had a better receiving corps than the Rams did, the Seahawks' receivers (though perhaps better than the Rams' group) is average.

Finally, I don't think it is a simple matter of pass protection. In fact, as surprising as this may seem, the Rams had a lower sacks/attempts percentage (5.9) than either the Niners (8.6) or the Seahawks (7.5).

The real discrepancy is RUN BLOCKING. The Niners and Seahawks were far more effective in the running game. Even if you eliminate QB runs, Marshawn Lynch (5.0 ypc) and Frank Gore (4.7 ypc) clearly had more running room than Steven Jackson (4.1 ypc).

The result of this efficiency in the running game was that the Niners and the Seahawks were able to pick their spots in the passing game. The Rams threw the ball 59.1% of the the time. By comparison, the Niners only threw the ball 49.2%, while the Seahawks threw the ball 44.9% to the time.

Simply stated, the Rams threw because they had to throw, while the Niners and Seahawks threw when they wanted to throw.

So, while the Rams do need to improve their receiving corps, I think that improving the run blocking on the offensive line so that the Rams can pass more often on 2nd and 3, and less often on 3rd and 7, will result in a much more efficient passing game.

Funny how, no matter how much things seem to change, it always comes back to the ability to run the ball.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-20-2013 at 01:10 PM.

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

Re: To Improve The Passing Game, the Rams Need RUN BLOCKERS

I completely agree with everything you are saying. The rams were not efficient enough while running the ball last season. This clearly hurt their passing attack. One thing that needs to improve besides the o-line play is Schottenheimer's play calling. I am glad that he was retained for continuity purposes, but too many times I saw him call two straight passing plays after the Rams got 9 yards on 1st down. Why? I just don't understand his logic sometimes. I feel like he hurt the offense just as much as the lack of talent at times.
    hawaiianpunch and ZiaRam like this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

How much of the pass-happy attack was because we were playing catchup in games as well? Not that I think our defense was bad, but the ***** and Seahawks had dominating D's that allowed them to use the run game more and control the clock. When you play from behind, you have to pass more often.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    How much of the pass-happy attack was because we were playing catchup in games as well?
    Not much at all.

At halftime in 2012, Rams had the lead in 7 games, were within 6 points in 5 games, and only had 4 games in which they were down by 7 or more.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

I agree totally which is why as I've stated many of times since my mock I wouldn't be hurt one bit if we drafted two talented linemen with the first 3picks.

bruce4life is online now Registered User

Look at the Niners and Seahawks lines. Both lines are heavily invested with high round picks over the last 4 years.

Niners- Iupati, Davis, Staley were all 1st round picks
    Hawks- Okung and Carpenter were 1st round picks, Unger was 2nd

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Simply stated, the Rams threw because they had to throw, while the Niners and Seahawks threw when they wanted to throw.
    Simply stated, but so true, and so critical to the success of an offense. It's the difference between advantage defense, and advantage offense on key downs. We need to do everything we can to make it the latter.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

The result of this efficiency in the running game was that the Niners and the Seahawks were able to pick their spots in the passing game. The Rams threw the ball 59.1% of the the time. By comparison, the Niners only threw the ball 49.2%, while the Seahawks threw the ball 44.9% to the time.

So, while the Rams do need to improve their receiving corps, I think that improving the run blocking on the offensive line so that the Rams can pass more often on 2nd and 3, and less often on 3rd and 7, will result in a much more efficient passing game.

Funny how, no matter how much things seem to change, it always comes back to the ability to run the ball.
    In 2010, the whiners drafted two O-linemen in the first round (#11 overall on Anthony Davis, and #17 overall on Mike Iupati) joining first rounder Joe Staley on their line. All are starters and excellent run blockers.

Let me ask you this: Would you approve of Warmack at #16, and Flukers or another worthy OT at #22? Absolutely agree with your point - spot on - we did have to throw whereas Seattle and the whiners could choose their spots ..

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Agree. When the ***** and Seahogs are putting up 150 plus yards a game running against the Rams D, it provides options. Sure, they only won one of those games last year, but it's a telling stat.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Let me ask you this: Would you approve of Warmack at #16, and Flukers or another worthy OT at #22?
    Absolutely.

I suspect that Warmack will be gone before we pick, which is why my last mock had Fluker at #16 and Travis Frederick in Round 2.

richtree is offline Registered User

The dream is still that bradford can convince his old friend Phil Loadholt to come block here instead .....
    RamsSB99 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by richtree
    The dream is still that bradford can convince his old friend Phil Loadholt to come block here instead .....
    I'd vote for that.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    How much of the pass-happy attack was because we were playing catchup in games as well? Not that I think our defense was bad, but the ***** and Seahawks had dominating D's that allowed them to use the run game more and control the clock. When you play from behind, you have to pass more often.
    The Rams did a great job of staying in games this year. There weren't many where the run game had to be abandoned.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    Agree. When the ***** and Seahogs are putting up 150 plus yards a game running against the Rams D, it provides options. Sure, they only won one of those games last year, but it's a telling stat.
    I agree that the Rams definitely have to shore up their run defense, but to be fair most of the rushing yards they gave up to the Hawks and Niners were run by Wilson and Kaepernick.

richtree is offline Registered User

I think this is obvious that our biggest need is OL -- especially on RT and preferably a RT that is a better Run Blocker than pass since Saffold is so good on the left with Pass Blocking...

couple that with a Guard that can pull and a new TE that can block and catch and that is your off-season.

Guard, RT, TE, WR, RB <--- alll needed and a OLB and Safety BUT OFFENSE FIRST !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast