Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams

Thread: Info on "the Big 3" wr's and your opinions.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Info on "the Big 3" wr's and your opinions.

I know there was the poll about what receivers we wanted to take in the 1st/2nd. and that basically became a thread mainly about who wanted Blackmons/Jeffery/Floyd. so i figured id make a true thread dedicated to "the big 3" so we could all discuss and show our cases for or against them all while showing others why as well.

So ima start it off with some videos of each and some info from certain sites about there pro's and con's.

remember, this is a thread dedicated to only Blackmon, Jeffery, and Floyd. since hypothetically, they are the highest talented and regarded in this years wide receiver class class.

Yes, the college season isnt over and there plenty of ball left, and combine to wait for as well. but these are the top 3. period.

The videos are the analysis of there 2010 season, feel free to add videos of there play from this season. I just havent had enough time to find the right videos to showcase them yet in 2011.

Lets get this party started:

Justin Blackmon-

2010 BILETNIKOFF AWARD WINNER
    2010 UNANIMOUS ALL-AMERICA
    2010 NCAA LEADER WITH 148.5 RECEIVING YARDS PER GAME
    2010 NCAA LEADER WITH 20 TOUCHDOWN RECEPTIONS
    2010 VALERO ALAMO BOWL OFFENSIVE MVP
    2010 BIG 12 CONFERENCE OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR
    FIFTH IN 2010 HEISMAN TROPHY VOTING

2010 stats-14 games, 111 receptions, 1.782 reception yards, 20 td's, 16.1 ypc, 32.1 yards per td catch. NCAA best 148.5 yards/per game
    6th best receiving season in NCAA history
    Set NCAA record of 12 straight 100+ yards receiving games with a td.

2011 stats- 4 games, 38 receptions, 450 reception yards, 4 td's, 11.8 ypc.

NFL Comparisons- Dez Bryant, Santonio Holmes

6'1, 207-215 pounds | Wide receiver | Oklahoma State

• Blackmon's hands are really good and he's shown he can make tough catches over the middle in traffic.

• Doesn't always attack the ball when its in the air and has only average body control to adjust to the ball.

• Although Blackmon doesn't have the most impressive frame, he does a nice job of using his body to box out defenders to gain extra spacing for a reception.

• The Cowboys offense doesn't ask their receivers to run complex routes, so that's an area where Blackmon will be behind at the next level.

• Because Blackmon is regarded by coaches as a hard working player, his on-field fundamental issues should be correctable.

• Timed speed may not be extraordinarily great, which will have a negative impact on his draft status.

• Shows a lot of fire and always wants the ball in big situations.

• Was charged with a DUI in October, 2010 and was suspended a game.

Alshon Jeffery-

AFCA Coaches all-american team
    All American, Biletnikoff Award finalist
    Named All-Sophomore by CollegeFootballNews.com

2010 stats- 14 games, 88 receptions, 1,517 reception yards, 9 td's, 108.4 yd/game average. 8 games of 100 receiving yards or more.

• Named a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award along with Oklahoma State's Justin Blackmon and Oklahoma's Ryan Broyles.
    • Leads the Gamecocks with 75 catches for 1,351 yards.
    • Leads the SEC in receiving yards per game (112.6) and is second in receptions per game (6.2).
    • Ranks fifth in the NCAA in receiving yards per game.
    • Has 23 plays of 20+ yards; eight plays of 40+ yards.
    • Passed Phillip Logan (2,063 yards) for 7th all-time in receiving yards with 141 yards in Clemson game; now has 2,114 career receiving yards. Needs 67 yards to move into 6th all-time at Carolina (Jermale Kelly, 2,181); needs 97 yards for 5th all-time (Robert Brooks, 2,211); needs 119 yards for fourth all-time (Sidney Rice, 2,233).
    • Set Carolina single-season receiving record in win over Troy; passed Sidney Rice's 1,143-yard season in 2005.
    • Became third different player in South Carolina history to top 1,000 receiving yards in a season (Sidney Rice, Sterling Sharpe).
    • Caught five passes vs. for 123 yards vs. Troy; his sixth 100-yard game of the season.
    • Hauled in 7 catches for 99 yards vs. Arkansas, including a one-handed grab that was No. 2 on the "SportsCenter" Top 10 that night.
    • Had three catches vs. Tennessee for 87 yards, the biggest of which was a 70-yard touchdown reception to give the Gamecocks the lead for good in the fourth quarter.
    • Went over 100 yards for the fifth time this season with a 9-catch, 155-yard performance in the Gamecocks' win at Vanderbilt. Hauled in a season-long 72-yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter to seal the victory for Carolina.
    • Had a 7-catch, 127-yard performance with two touchdowns against No. 1 Alabama. Had a long reception of 45 yards, catching Garcia's pass one-handed down the sideline with an Alabama defender providing tough coverage.
    • Had the fourth-best receiving game in Carolina history with 192 yards on 8 catches at Auburn; set career highs in both categories.
    • Became the 23rd player in Carolina history to record 1,000 career-receiving yards with a 5-catch, 97-yard performance vs. Furman.
    • Had 7 catches for 103 yards vs. Georgia; two straight games with 100+ yards.
    • Has 10 100-yard receiving games for Carolina; is one away from tying the school record (Sidney Rice, 11).
    • Has had at least one reception in 20 straight games.

Career Highs
    • Receptions: 9 (Vanderbilt `10)
    • Receiving Yards: 192 (Auburn `10)
    • Long Reception: 80 (Arkansas `09)
    • Touchdown Receptions: 3 (Kentucky `09)
    • 100-yard Receiving Games: 9

2011 stats- 5 games, 19 receptions, 332 reception yards, 2 td's, 17.5 ypc.

NFL Comparison- Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson

6'4, 229-233 pounds | Wide Receiver | South Carolina

• Jeffery is a massive target with good size, bulk, and leaping ability
    • He shows good concentration and soft hands
    • His attacking style means that he rarely misses out on a jump ball
    • He goes up and plucks the ball out of the air using his body to box out the defender
    • His good body control helps him overcome some separation concerns
    • Jeffery runs nice balanced routes and knows how to find the openings in a zone
    • He has a nice burst out of his breaks because his long legs are able to eat up a ton of yardage
    • Redzone success is very important and Jeffery is almost unstoppable
    • The biggest question mark surrounding Jeffery will be his top end speed
    • He will struggle to out run defenders and create great separation

Michael Floyd-

2010 stats- 12 games, 79 receptions, 1,025 reception yards, 12 td's, 85.42 receiving yards a game
    Scored a td on first career catch
    Set freshman records at Notre Dame for receptions, receiving yards and receiving TDs
    First player in school history to register multiple touchdown passes of at least 80 yards and he's just one of three Irish wide receivers in school history to have two separate seasons rank in the top 10 for receiving touchdowns in a single season.
    C.M. Hendricks Most Valuable Player.
    Maxwell Award watch list

2011 stats- 5 games, 47 receptions, 561 reception yards, 3 td's, 11.9 ypc.

NFL comparison- T.O, Larry Fitzgerald

6'3, 224-227 pounds | Wide receiver | Notre Dame

• Long speed may only be above average. Won't be a deep vertical threat in the NFL.

• May not have the best vertical leap and has to use his body to create space in the air.

• Shows good body control to maneuver his frame to make a play on the ball. This has been especially helpful at Notre Dame where the quarterback play has been lacking.

• Gets off the line of scrimmage with ease. Has a nice first step and doesn't waste motion. Against bump coverage, Floyd has the strength to move cornerbacks around.

• Really attacks the ball when its in the air. Instead of waiting for it to come to him, Floyd will often extend his arms to make a play on the ball.

• Likes to push off on the cornerback when the ball approaches. While that may fly in college football, it could get him in trouble in the NFL.

• Works the underneath routes really well. When he's in the short area, Floyd can really on his foot quickness and size to pick apart defenses. Excels against zone.

• After the catch, Floyd has to do better carrying the ball. He often carries the ball outside his frame which could lead to fumbles.

• With his continued trouble with alcohol, some teams will seriously question Floyd's character.

• Has had some issues with injuries. Missed four games in 2009 with a broken collarbone. Sat out the final three games of 2008 with a leg injury.

*Im sure theres a lot of stuff im missing from each player so feal free to add anything you find.

**Sources include:espn, sports illustrated, Wikipedia, Mockingthedraft,okstate,und, Gamecocksonline, and few more random sites ill provide if needed.

***remember, this is a discussion only these 3 wr's, there stats, your opinions on them, backing them, and telling each other why you prefer them over the each other. I spent some time on this so dont rip me to bad if things are wrong.

GO RAMS!!!!!!!!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Info on "the Big 3" wr's and your opinions.

I think the perfect choice for our team is Alshon Jeffery. DX has shown what a big WR can do in this offense in just 4 games. Jeffery can go up against any DB and come down with the ball, something we don't have. Floyd I think will be very solid, but he is a Sims-Walker/Gibson/Clayton. We already have "a Floyd", though that isn't a valuable reason to pass if he is clear cut the best of the group.

I just feel like our offense isn't feared at all. We have no speed what so ever, we have to be the slowest team in the league. We need playmakers. Guys who will go deep and catch a 50 yard TD. A guy that can stretch the field and open underneath routes for Danny, and others. Jeffery's size combined with Bradford's pinpoint accuracy can be very scary for opposing defenses.

I'd love to reunite SC teammates.

Round 1 (2012): Alshon Jeffery
    Round 1 (2013): Marcus Lattimore (Best prospect since AP...he will be a BEAST)
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I think the perfect choice for our team is Alshon Jeffery. DX has shown what a big WR can do in this offense in just 4 games. Jeffery can go up against any DB and come down with the ball, something we don't have. Floyd I think will be very solid, but he is a Sims-Walker/Gibson/Clayton. We already have "a Floyd", though that isn't a valuable reason to pass if he is clear cut the best of the group.

I just feel like our offense isn't feared at all. We have no speed what so ever, we have to be the slowest team in the league. We need playmakers. Guys who will go deep and catch a 50 yard TD. A guy that can stretch the field and open underneath routes for Danny, and others. Jeffery's size combined with Bradford's pinpoint accuracy can be very scary for opposing defenses.

I'd love to reunite SC teammates.

Round 1 (2012): Alshon Jeffery
    Round 1 (2013): Marcus Lattimore (Best prospect since AP...he will be a BEAST)
    Jefferys size and potential just gets me all excited.

Jeffery does warm my heart up, but i still love blackmons skill set. still on the fence but ill get there. right now im 51/49 for Jeffery.

The big 3 all had an alight day, basically identical stats more or less. so i guess more time and games needed lol
    Last edited by Tampa_Ram; -10-08-2011 at 07:59 PM.