Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams
  • 1 Post By Rawr

Thread: Insights From a Scout

Rawr is offline Registered User

Insights From a Scout

I know a guy who used to be a scout for a couple different NFL teams. I'm not exactly sure what he's doing now, but he's still involved in the process somewhat. I don't have any earth-shattering information, but I thought you guys might find some of this interesting.

-One NFL scout he talked to didn't have a single QB in his top 35, but said that so many teams need a QB that a lot will be taken high anyway.

-He thinks this draft is really good for somebody wanting a #1 WR. Very impressed by Benjamin showing up at 6'5, 240, and 4% body fat. He was also impressed with Evans at the combine. Said he had the longest arms of anybody he's ever charted at the combine. He obviously likes Watkins, too

-I asked who he liked at CB, and he didn't have to hesitate in saying he liked Gilbert over Dennard (and others). Gilbert is bigger, faster, and better in man to man press coverage.

-He likes Robinson long term over Matthews, but says Robinson needs to improve his pass blocking.

-Can't go wrong with either, though. He said those two along with Clowney are the three superstars of this year's draft. Despite Clowney's season, he said he's still being looked at as a "once every 10 years" type of player.

-If Clowney goes #1, he doesn't think there will be much demand for the #2 pick. He says it's an incredibly good draft class, but it's more about how many picks you have, and not so much about how high they are. If Clowney is available at #2, he expects somebody to be really aggressive for that pick. From what he's heard, Atlanta is expecting Houston to take Bridgewater or Bortles, and they are pushing the hardest for the #2 pick.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Re: Insights From a Scout

I think you are right on with this whole report.

Thanks for confirming what I have decided looks likely.
    Barry Waller

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rawr View Post
    I know a guy who used to be a scout for a couple different NFL teams. I'm not exactly sure what he's doing now, but he's still involved in the process somewhat. I don't have any earth-shattering information, but I thought you guys might find some of this interesting.

-One NFL scout he talked to didn't have a single QB in his top 35, but said that so many teams need a QB that a lot will be taken high anyway.

-He thinks this draft is really good for somebody wanting a #1 WR. Very impressed by Benjamin showing up at 6'5, 240, and 4% body fat. He was also impressed with Evans at the combine. Said he had the longest arms of anybody he's ever charted at the combine. He obviously likes Watkins, too

-I asked who he liked at CB, and he didn't have to hesitate in saying he liked Gilbert over Dennard (and others). Gilbert is bigger, faster, and better in man to man press coverage.

-He likes Robinson long term over Matthews, but says Robinson needs to improve his pass blocking.

-Can't go wrong with either, though. He said those two along with Clowney are the three superstars of this year's draft. Despite Clowney's season, he said he's still being looked at as a "once every 10 years" type of player.

-If Clowney goes #1, he doesn't think there will be much demand for the #2 pick. He says it's an incredibly good draft class, but it's more about how many picks you have, and not so much about how high they are. If Clowney is available at #2, he expects somebody to be really aggressive for that pick. From what he's heard, Atlanta is expecting Houston to take Bridgewater or Bortles, and they are pushing the hardest for the #2 pick.
    I'm not saying you don't have a scout friend, but really? This is about 100% common knowledge with just about everyone that'll associate themselves with the NFL Draft.

And Justin Gilbert BETTER in press man to man coverage? On what Earth? Lost all credibility right when I read that line. Gilbert is a better athlete who would excel in zone coverage, not man. Dennard is a purely press man to man cover corner showed by his tight hips. He was left on an island at Michigan St...

So yeah...
    ManofGod likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I understand people who like Gilbert more than Dennard, and there are certainly reasons why one might prefer the former to the latter. But someone's going to have to point me to a game or two that demonstrates Gilbert is better in man to man press coverage, because my belief is that that's where Dennard earned his high reputation as a prospect.

Sounds great on the Atlanta front. I am worried that teams aren't as high on the QBs as we fans think they will be, and if they're the impetus behind a trade, the compensation will not be outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I'm not saying you don't have a scout friend, but really? This is about 100% common knowledge with just about everyone that'll associate themselves with the NFL Draft.
    I specifically said that this wasn't earth-shattering stuff, but it's real information from scouts and other people who actually influence NFL teams' decisions rather than some random media speculation that exists primarily for entertainment purposes. I thought some people might be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I understand people who like Gilbert more than Dennard, and there are certainly reasons why one might prefer the former to the latter. But someone's going to have to point me to a game or two that demonstrates Gilbert is better in man to man press coverage, because my belief is that that's where Dennard earned his high reputation as a prospect.
    I'll ask him again to clarify. Perhaps I misheard. I will say, however, that reputations don't always reflect reality. It's very possible that I heard wrong on that part, as he mainly emphasized the size and speed part.

Sounds great on the Atlanta front. I am worried that teams aren't as high on the QBs as we fans think they will be, and if they're the impetus behind a trade, the compensation will not be outstanding.
    Yeah, that's pretty much spot on with what he told me. It's reassuring that Atlanta seems to think Houston is going QB, but I think they'd benefit more from drafting Robinson or Clowney, so I'm not going to feel good on that one until it happens.
    Last edited by Rawr; -03-01-2014 at 11:37 AM.
    Nick likes this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I agree that if Clowney goes 1st that lowers the value of our 2nd pick. With no clear-cut QB at the top I doubt teams would be fighting each other to trade up.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I'm starting to think that if Clowney is taken by the Texans we may not get the trade offers we imagined we'd get. The QB class this year is unremarkable in the the elite sense. Plus, if Cleveland is truly wanting Derek Carr, they can probably snatch him at #26 or trade up a few picks from there to grab him. As much as the Texans want a QB they could trade with NE for Ryan Mallet, whom O'Brien knows from his Patriot days, further reducing our odds. Our best bet still remains Atlanta as a trading partner.

As for the Gilbert vs Dennard debate, I think Gilbert regardless of whether he or Dennard is better at man to man press coverage is the better prospect, will have greater appeal to Snead because of his speed and coverage abilities. His fluid hip movement really knocked my socks off at the Combine and if he can add some weight and strength without compromising speed could develop his press skills. He must be good enough at it or he wouldn't have the #1 CB rating in the draft.

Interesting post Rawr, confirms many of my assumptions.

Go Rams!

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Plus, if Cleveland is truly wanting Derek Carr, they can probably snatch him at #26 or trade up a few picks from there to grab him.
    FWIW, my friend had Carr rated as the #3 QB behind Bortles and Bridgewater, so he might not be available that late. Each team will see things differently, though, so we'll see.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Interesting that Carr was rated as highly as #3, unless he's ranking them alphabetically (kidding). Seriously, I wouldn't argue with a former NFL scout. The media hype surrounding Manziel probably has him rated higher than he should be considering his unorthodox play at QB. The draft has a way of leveling out all the outside noise with certain teams always defying logic. Cleveland has been one of those teams but with a new front office running the draft perhaps they are seeing what your friend sees.

If Carr goes at #4 to Cleveland either Bortles or Bridgewater or both could be available assuming Houston either takes Clowney or trades for Mallet which could trigger an interesting scenario within the top 10. As the Rams will have selected at that point it provides us with no benefit. Perhaps Cleveland tries to get cute and package their #4 and #26 to land somewhere in-between yielding them more picks later.

Go Rams!

Nick,

I heard back on the Dennard issue. If Dennard plays in the NFL like he did in college, he's going to set the record for PI calls. The more film scouts watch, the more they see he's getting away with. It's bad enough that many teams are already backing off of him.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I agree that if Clowney goes 1st that lowers the value of our 2nd pick. With no clear-cut QB at the top I doubt teams would be fighting each other to trade up.
    I think you have that wrong...if Clowney goes #1 that would be ideal for the Rams looking to trade out....

I think Bortles has proven he is head and shoulders on top and will be #1 pick easily.....I really think people who have watched all the QBs and their off-seasons know this...

MACD is offline Registered User

I only saw Bortles play once (this year's bowl game against Baylor) but I couldn't help but think "this is the perfect proto-typical NFL qb for this age.

I guess my friend was onto something with Gilbert vs. Dennard after all. Gilbert went at 8, and Dennard lasted until 24.