Maedhros Guest

Interactive Rams Draft - How did I do?

Hey Rams fans! I'm reppin' St. Louis in an Interactive Mock Draft I'm in, and this is what I have so far (I made a trade, which is why I don't have a fourth rounder):

APRIL MOCK DRAFT 2 St. Louis Rams GM

Round 1, pick 11 - Haloti Ngata, DT. A steal this late, and provides much needed DLine depth. Will eventually take over for the old La'roi Glover, teaming up with another top 15 pick in Jimmy Kennedy to make a tandem as good as if not better than the one in Jacksonville.

Round 2, pick 46 - Thomas Howard, OLB. A great, athletic Linebacker who can immediately start at SLB. This gives the Rams a LB corps of: WLB Dexter Coakley, MLB Will Witherspoon, SLB Thomas Howard. That's a veteran Pro Bowler and two athletic young prospects. Howard will eventually take over the WLB spot and wreak havoc all over the field.

Round 3, pick 77 - Demario Minter, CB. CB is a HUGE need for the Rams, who just seem to have a bunch of Nickelbacks on their roster. Minter has the size and athleticism to shut down any team's big Receiver, but he lacks true deepfield speed. This is fine, however, as with the next pick the Rams select:

Round 5, pick 135 - Tim Jennings, CB. A HUGE steal. There is no way a Corner with his speed (4.32) and athleticism should last this long. A poor man's Tye Hill, Jennings will shut down Receivers like Steve Smith and Santana Moss while Minter handles the bigger ones. Plus, Jennings and Minter are comfortable playing with each other. Eventually, this will give the Lions a CB corps of: CB1 Demario Minter, CB2 Tim Jennings, CB3 Jerametrius Butler. Not bad at all.

Round 5, pick 144 - Elvis Dumerville, DE. His measurables aren't great, but he is a Patrick Kerney clone. His motor never stops, and he has posted unbelievable production. Will replace Leonard Little eventually, and could see action even sooner if Anthony Hargrove doesn't pan out. As well, the Rams are no longer screwed if any of their DLinemen get injured (Ngata, Dumerville - good depth).

Round 6, pick 171 - Owen Daniels, TE. A "need" pick, Daniels is a great pass receiver with soft hands and decent production. His biggest knock is blocking, but the Rams already have Manumaleuna for that.

Round 6, pick 183 - Calin Lowry, S. A great replacement for the departed Adam Archuleta. Lowry can hit, he can run, and he can catch He struggles in man-to-man coverage, but the Rams have drafted the necessary Corners to do that for him (all three of their LBs are fast, athletic guys as well). Could become a starter as a Rookie at the FS position, where the Rams have depth and not much else.

Round 7, pick 221 - No pick

Round 7, pick 242 - No pick

Round 7, pick 243 - No pick

I concentrated mostly on defense cause I think you guys already have a top 5 offense easily, and I think the Rams are far too talented to go into rebuilding mode.

I gave you guys DLine depth which was sorely needed with your FA losses, including an elite top 10 prospect in Haloti Ngata who should become a Pro Bowler in the future. Dumerville isn't bad either.

Thomas Howard should make for a GREAT LB corps with Coakley and Witherspoon.

I got both UGA Corners , which wasn't planned: I knew I had to get a day one Corner, but Ngata and Howard were too good to pass up. Minter was the BPA at CB at my pick, so I picked him up. Tim Jennings was a huge surprise; I thought he would be gone way earlier, so I pounced on him. I gave you guys two young Corners who were great in college and who compliment each other very nicely.

Owen Daniels should make a good compliment to Man...forget it, I don't know how to spell his name. Daniels is pretty much a pure pass catcher at TE, compliments Manyskfdelasdlkr's blocking abilities.

Lowry should make an adequate replacement for Archuleta. I really wanted Charlie Peprah, but he didn't fall .

So how did I do? Did I turn your team into a SB contender, or did I set you guys back a few years?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Interactive Rams Draft - How did I do?

It's all right...I'm not sure I'd have given up the fourth rounder for an extra fifth and sixth. It worked out well enough because Jennings was there, but that wouldn't necessarily have been the case. I like Ngata and Howard, but we probably didn't have to force the issue at corner if better value was there at another position in the third. Just a couple years back our defense led the league in turnovers and was near the top at interceptions. Injuries and the new defensive coordinator really stunted the development of our "nickelbacks" as you call them, but I think they're a little underrated. Minter just seems like a bit of reach to me. We'd probably like to see an interior offensive lineman at some point in the draft, too. Otherwise, I think it worked out pretty well.

Maedhros Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    It's all right...I'm not sure I'd have given up the fourth rounder for an extra fifth and sixth. It worked out well enough because Jennings was there, but that wouldn't necessarily have been the case. I like Ngata and Howard, but we probably didn't have to force the issue at corner if better value was there at another position in the third. Just a couple years back our defense led the league in turnovers and was near the top at interceptions. Injuries and the new defensive coordinator really stunted the development of our "nickelbacks" as you call them, but I think they're a little underrated. Minter just seems like a bit of reach to me. We'd probably like to see an interior offensive lineman at some point in the draft, too. Otherwise, I think it worked out pretty well.

I had my heart set on Charles Spencer with the third, but he went 6 picks ahead of mine. The only interior OLineman left there was Greg Eslinger, but I didn't think he would be worth it.

In the fourth, all the players left worth that pick were DTs and WRs mainly. Fred Matua was around, but I think he's a bit small. The picks went like this:

109 New Orleans - Draftnut57 - DT Barry Cofield, Northwestern
    110 Green Bay - Jocular Monkey - DT Kyle Williams, LSU
    111 Baltimore - metalfalcon07 - CB Darrell Hunter, Miami OH
    112 Cleveland - wesjohnson - OG Fred Matua, USC
    113 Denver - Vickgasmic - QB Kellen Clemons, Oregon
    114 Miami - Vick781 - WR Travis Wilson, Oklahoma
    115 Minnesota - mikevick7owns - DE Jason Hatcher, Grambling
    116 Philadelphia - rodhands - WR Jason Avant, Michigan
    117 Buffalo - Bam_19 - DT Jesse Mahelona, Tennessee
    118 New England - 1989Fan - CB Charles Gordon, Kansas
    119 San Diego - Xanthri - OT Guy Whimper, E. Carolina
    120 Chicago - welcometoatlanta - DT Babitunde Oshinowo, Stanford
    121 Carolina - atlfl3 - S Greg Blue, Georgia
    122 Tampa Bay - ~~BB's Revenge~~ - CB Anwar Phillips, Penn St.
    123 Atlanta - papikaika - S Charlie Peprah, Alabama

I was hoping Matua or Mark Setterstrom would fall to my second fifth, but Setterstrom went TWO picks before mine .

Owen Daniels was kinda a brainfart pick. I needed a TE, so I just took the best one available.

Anyways, I don't know much about your Corners. I'm going off word of mouth, and many people say that the Rams have a bunch of guys but no true standouts.

RamJackson39 Guest

I dont know if I like Howard at SLB. He lacks the recognition skills that I would like him to have and I dont know if he will be able to develop those skills. If he is the pick, that gives the Rams a small LB corps and it makes me worry how they would handle the run.

Maedhros Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    I dont know if I like Howard at SLB. He lacks the recognition skills that I would like him to have and I dont know if he will be able to develop those skills. If he is the pick, that gives the Rams a small LB corps and it makes me worry how they would handle the run.
    46 St. Louis - Maedhros - LB Thomas Howard, UTEP
    47 Atlanta - papikaika - CB Richard Marshall, Fresno St.
    48 Carolina - atlfl3 - TE Dominique Byrd, USC
    49 Houston - DHallFan721 - S Darnell Bing, USC
    50 San Diego - Xanthri - CB Ashton Youboty, Ohio St.
    51 Minnesota - mikevick7owns - OT Jon Scott, Texas
    52 New England - 1989Fan - LB Abdul Hodge, Iowa
    53 Washington - welcometoatlanta - OG Max Jean-Gilles, Georgia
    54 Kansas City - TheBest - WR Derek Hagan, Arizona St.
    55 Cincinnati - igshi - TE Joe Klopfenstein, Colorado
    56 New York Giants - aka_cig_bc - DT Gabe Watson, Michigan
    57 Chicago - welcometoatlanta - CB Alan Zemaitis, Penn St.
    58 Minnesota - mikevick7owns - OG Taitusi Lutui, USC
    59 Tampa Bay - ~~BB's Revenge~~ - DT Claude Wroten, LSU
    60 Jacksonville - Falcons417 - LB Roger McIntosh, Miami
    61 Denver - vickgasmic - DE Mark Anderson, Alabama
    62 Indianapolis - signalcaller9 - LB D'Qwell Jackson, Maryland
    63 Seattle - GettinItDunn - DE Ray Edwards, Purdue
    64 Pittsburgh - BenBurger07 - S Pat Watkins, Florida St.

Who should I have taken? I went with Howard cause Mathias Kiwanuka, Tamba Hali, Jason Allen, and Davin Joseph didn't fall. I was counting on one of them, but it didn't happen.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Maedhros
    Owen Daniels was kinda a brainfart pick. I needed a TE, so I just took the best one available.

Anyways, I don't know much about your Corners. I'm going off word of mouth, and many people say that the Rams have a bunch of guys but no true standouts.
    I think Owen Daniels was a really good choice, especially that late in the draft. Corner definitely is a need for us; I just don't think our guys are as bad as some people make them out to be. If Spencer had been there in the third, it would have been even better, but you got us depth on the d-line and the secondary, a first day linebacker, and a pretty decent tight end, so all in all I like it.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

I would have taken hodge hes a football player not fast in measurables but fast in instinct

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

COAKLEY?!?

You sure do have a real funny way of spelling Tinoisamoa

DaRamsBaby Guest

pisa or coakley? id most definitly take pisa

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247
    COAKLEY?!?

You sure do have a real funny way of spelling Tinoisamoa
    HAH!

He also has a funny way of spelling "The Rams amazingly trade their seventh rounder for Green Bay's first and in the process, select A.J Hawk- It's understandable how you can get confused:bling:

By the way, my head is attatched to my neck and I understand that there is No way in the very deepest fiery brimstoney depths of hell that this happens. and before anyone takes it- THAT'S AN UNDERSTATEMENT.:football:

Maedhros Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DaRamsBaby
    pisa or coakley? id most definitly take pisa

I just remember Coakley being a Pro Bowler a while ago. I don't know anything about Pisa. But if Pisa is better, that's even better for the Rams, as Howard is naturally a WLB and Coakley is getting old. Plus Howard doesn't have to take the reins immediately.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Maedhros
    I just remember Coakley being a Pro Bowler a while ago. I don't know anything about Pisa. But if Pisa is better, that's even better for the Rams, as Howard is naturally a WLB and Coakley is getting old. Plus Howard doesn't have to take the reins immediately.

Pisa is naturally a WLB, and he has lead the Rams in tackles for the last two seasons