Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Interesting article on Crabtree (reportedly won't run 40-yard @ the combine)

Michael Irvin on Crabtree
    Posted by Eric Williams @ 09:01:13 am
    Seahawks Insider @ The News Tribune
    Sunday, February 1st, 2009

With mock drafts currently listing the Seattle Seahawks drafting Michael Crabtree, I decided to try and roundup some more information on him. And who better to talk to but Michael Irvin, a friend of the Crabtree family and one of the people advising the redshirt sophomore as he prepares for the upcoming April draft.

Crabtree, who recently announced he's entering this year's draft, is working out with Olympic champion sprinter Michael Johnson and receiving advice from Irvin and Deion Sanders as he prepares for the combine and his pro day. Crabtree will not run the 40-yard dash at the combine, but will run at his Pro Day.

Even after the gaudy numbers and spectacular plays Crabtree has put together over his college career, and his two Fred Biletnikoff awards as the best college in the country, there are still lingering questions about the talented receiver.

Is he fast enough?

Is he injury prone?

Is he a system player?

Irvin addressed some of those issues in a conversation I had with him during Super Bowl week.

“I think he’s going to be a phenomenal player in this league, but he has to fall into the right system,” Irvin said. “You cannot put a big guy like Crabtree in a system that caters to small receivers, what I call a scat system. You have to put him in a system where his size and strength can be used to his advantage.

“This is what confuses me a lot of times. When you talk about players and where they would play and how would they perform, people tend to think that you can take any player and play him anywhere, if he’s a true player. But true success comes when you put a player in a system that fits his talent. And his talent, he’s a big guy. So put him in a timing offense. Let him run some out routes, timing routes. Get the ball in his hands and let these DBs fall off of him because he’s such a big, strong runner. He reminds me a lot of Anquan Boldin. And I love Boldin. He’s a beast. And so is Crabtree.

“In this game now, when you’ve got a guy who can run like that, go and get the ball and you can’t touch him after five yards anymore? Oh God, that’s advantage offense all the way right there.”

Not necessarily a burner himself, but now in the Hall of Fame and considered one of the best receivers to play the game, Irvin said the speed question should be considered in a larger, overall perspective.

Irvin talked about game speed, and maintaining speed over the course of the game. He said some guys are running 4.4 40-yard dashes at the beginning of the game, but their speed decreases through the course of the contest and they’re slower in the fourth quarter. Irvin believes that Crabtree has the kind of endurance and strength to maintain his speed throughout the game, and that he makes plays with the game on the line in the fourth quarter.

“The difference between a 4.7 and a 4.5 (is this),” Irvin said, quickly snapping his fingers twice. “You can barely get it on your hands if you pressed your thumb and pressed it again. … And we discount game speed, and we discount strength.

“I don’t just want to know your speed in the first quarter. I want to know your speed in the fourth quarter because I’m not winning any games in the first quarter. This guy, Michael Crabtree has fourth quarter speed.”

He also said Crabtree would be a good fit in the West Coast offense because of his ability to run after the catch, and compared Crabtree’s running ability to Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens, who both played in the West Coast offense in San Francisco. Irvin joked that he wished he would have had a chance to play in the West Coast offense, but couldn’t look back with too much disappointment because he has three Super Bowl rings.

“That system fits,” Irvin said. “That’s a timing system that allows him to put the ball in his hands as early as you can and let him go do what he can do with it. And you know he has some RAC ability -- some run after catch. So for him, that’s a great system.”

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Interesting article on Crabtree (reportedly won't run 40-yard @ the combine)

Good article Nick.

We are most likely running the West Coast Offense under Shurmur, so Crabtree would be a really nice fit. If we get rid of Holt and we determine Crabtree is the BPA it will be more likely Crabtree is the pick. I like him more and more every day, but I still think we need to add more pieces especially on O-line before we pick him.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Interesting article on Crabtree (reportedly won't run 40-yard @ the combine)

Nice find Nick. Interesting point about 4th quarter speed vs 1st quarter speed.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

One thing I have to point out in regarding the forty time and the combine, I believe it is extremely over rated. Sure its nice to be able to run fast on a track in your underwear, but when you put these guys on a field and in pads, i don't car how fast they ran in Indy. Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Plaxico Burress, Hines Ward, TJ Housiermoamma, Wes Welker(blah), Donald Driver shoot I could keep going, but none of those guys run like Randy Moss or Donnie Avery and they are all top notch receivers. Combine speed is OVERRATED.

Phew, that doesn;t mean draft Crabtree, it just means don't not draft him based on his dang forty time.

ram1906 is offline Registered User

i'm throwing my guanlet in here.....DRAFT CRABTREE!!!!!....Why take a project O lineman who wont make a impact immediately....Nothing wrong with thought of giving Bulger more protection...but this can easily ( and much cheaper) be aquired through free agency. I player like Crabtree doesnt come along every year...without even running a 40, he is my BPA right now....We had Derek Stanley and Looker getting major recieving time last year and its a question where we need help most...If you could see inside bulger's mind during his read progressions this year it would sound like this".....Hike....1st read.....Holt doubled....Avery damn...safety over the top streak covered....whoever is in the slot...blanketed....BOOOOOOOM.....WHAT JUST HIT ME".....AND THERE LIES THE PROBLEM...No threats off the line....time goes real fast.....I'm on the wagon heavily for CB....

richtree is online now Registered User

BRITT IS A better talent than Crabtree

I will post a thread comparing the 2 sometime during the week

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    BRITT IS A better talent than Crabtree

I will post a thread comparing the 2 sometime during the week
    You already started a Kenny Britt thread, maybe post it there?

richtree is online now Registered User

No, I won't.

And this will be more in depth. In will compare Crabtree v. Britt.

Britt v. Bey

Britt v. Harvin

Britt v. Macklin

and these 4 WR's verus the elite recievers in the NFL

right now I am thinking of not posting here ever again since my reply to the "Misleading Thread Titles" was deleted and I didn't get any explanation to whY?

I guess you not free to voice any opinions here.

richtree, I'm responding to your post via PM.

That way, this thread can get back on-topic.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

In my mind, Crabtree has serious SYSTEM question marks. Just as spread offense QBs don't work in the NFL, historically spread offense WRs end up being system players. Maybe he has everything that is needed but he never proved that at Texas Tech to me. Running routes and yards after catch are very different in the NFL than what is required in the spread.

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

Since he's recovering from a high ankle sprain, it's no surprise he's not going to run at the Combine.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

I think his catch at the end of the Texas game had nothing to do with system, but rather pure talent and heart, something that we could use on this team.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

this would be important.....if the 40 meant anything...

Fitzgerald ran the 40-yard dash at the combine, and it had him clocked at 4.63.