Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sauceman

Thread: Interesting Article on Sammy Watkins

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Interesting Article on Sammy Watkins

I just came across the following article on Bleacher Report that indicated 8 Myths Concerning the Upcoming Draft. The segment below was labeled "Sammy Watkins Is Unquestionably The Top WR in the Draft. It caught my attention because I've become so enraptured about taking SW at #2. Well sports fans, slow down, maybe Mike Evans is a more attractive selection, particularly in our division with the CB's we'll face 2x every year. If I was wrong, I'll admit to it.

Michael Conroy/Associated Press Sometimes, we become so comfortable with one guy being the consensus No. 1 at his position that we stop questioning his credentials for that spot. It feels as though that's become the case with Sammy Watkins, who could be challenged for the throne by Mike Evans.
    It's not as though Watkins isn't the real deal, but Evans has 20 pounds on Watkins yet was only one-tenth of a second slower in the 40-yard dash at the combine, per NFL.com. He's also four inches taller with larger hands and a larger wingspan. Plus, he actually ran a quicker 20-yard shuttle.
    They both scored 12 touchdowns in 2013, and each had between 1,350 and 1,500 receiving yards. But Evans averaged more yards per catch by a margin of 2.4 (not insignificant), and Watkins is the one with some character concerns.
    It just seems to me that while Watkins' ceiling could be slightly higher, Evans could be a more reliable No. 1 receiver from the get-go. And I'm not alone, because CBSSports.com's Dane Brugler reported last week that at least two teams have Evans as the top wide receiver on their draft boards.

Go Rams!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Interesting Article on Sammy Watkins

Whatever.....Still want Watkins

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Don't like either at #2. If we trade back take Watkins around #6 or possibly trade up from #13 to #10 and take Evans....

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

In watching both guys numerous times, Watkins made a much bigger impact on me with his dynamic, aggressive style of play at WR. I love receivers who attack the ball, and Watkins regularly did just that.

That said, I would not take a receiver at #2.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Mike, I agree with you. If we stay at 2, I really don't want a receiver.

That said, I'm with the OP article's analysis, and ahve been the entire offseason. We have guys who can play the slot. We need a guy outside who can be a difference making #1. Watkins made a living on screens, something that's good for a few yards in the NFL, but rarely amounts to a consistent attack. New England did a good job with bubble screens with Welker, but in Austin, we already have what should be a super-Welker. Evens can get the toss up long ball, and that whom I'd want to draft if we actually do.
    I believe!

berg8309 is offline Registered User

My opinion of the quality of bleacherreport articles can be summed up by one article, that was the list of top 20 days every sports fan looks forward to. The Superbowl was #10, behind the NBA draft, The Iron Bowl (Alabama-Auburn game), the NHL opening day, and march madness.

That's right, the bleacher report published an article that said more people look forward to Alabama and Auburn playing than the Superbowl. Quality articles.

In case you were wondering, the home run derby beat out the NFL draft too.

And as a follow up, to stay more on point, I do like Evans better. The fact Watkins is pretty much all bubble screens and short passes worries me. I'd rather not a receiver at #2 that needs to learn how to run routes beyond 2 yards.

Sauceman is offline Registered User

I personally thing that, while Watkins may end up being the better overall WR, Mike Evans would end up being the best Rams WR.

I watched a video today of all of Bradford's 15+ yard throws a couple of seasons ago, and he loved the deep fade to Danario Alexander. Evans is a faster, more athletic version of DX, and that combination would instantly make our entire offense better (provided Evans cuts it in the NFL). Evans is a great curveball to throw in our arsenal of fastballs that doesn't seem to be working right now.

Give us a tall threat like Evans, and pair him with Bailey's hands/route running, and Austins electrifying speed and you've got a great, young group of WRs. Pair that with a healthy Bradford, a more effective Stacy, and a revitalized offensive line, and our offense may start to catch up to our defense.
    Randart likes this.

kman is offline Registered User

I don't care about the 40 yard times, shuttle, blah blah blah...I ve seen the game tape, and Watkins is an expolsive game changer, who's more physical then his weight and height suggest....

Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post
    I don't care about the 40 yard times, shuttle, blah blah blah...I ve seen the game tape, and Watkins is an expolsive game changer, who's more physical then his weight and height suggest....
    we have one of those, drafted him last year in the top 10. Can he run a route tree tho, or do you have to give him a bubble screen?

Randart is offline Registered User

I keep sayin' it and will till after the draft my dream draft is Evans/Lewan first round...
    Whatever it takes to make that happen and hopefully at least one trade back for extra picks.
    Watkins/Lewan is still a winner but just love Evans and with his showing at Johnny Football Pro Day,
    Love the guy even more now! Loved that reference to DX and how much Sammy loved throwing to the guy, too bad Danario could not stay healthy here.

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Don't like Mike Evans - I agree with what this scout had to say about him as I observed it in several of his games.

Where Mike Evans Needs To Improve

Despite having good linear speed for his size, Evans lacks short area quickness almost completely. This severely limits him as a route runner, as he struggles with stopping in each of his breaks, sinking his hips in the ground, and planting efficiently. Evans is not really a player that you can be creative with, route wise. He does not have the stop-and-go ability for screens and underneath routes, or the route-running potential for breaking routes. He will be primarily a deep post, corner, and "Go" route wide receiver.