Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Interesting Trade Possibilities

The Rams are sitting at the 11th overall pick, and many fans wonder if that's just outside the realm of grabbing a real impact player. However, the Rams could get a number of phone calls should the top ten shapes out like this:

1) Houston: Reggie Bush
    2) New Orleans: D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    3) Tennessee: Matt Leinart
    4) NY Jets: Mario Williams
    5) Green Bay: AJ Hawk
    6) San Fran: Vernon Davis
    7) Oakland: Vince Young
    8) Buffalo: Brodrick Bunkley
    9) Detroit: Michael Huff
    10) Arizona: Winston Justice

There is a lot of speculation that the Eagles are VERY high on Oregon DT Haloti Ngata, and want to draft him and pair him with another young lineman in the interior, DT Mike Patterson. With Ngata still on the board at 11 but likely coming off the board at 12 if Cleveland has the option to take him, Philadelphia would definitely give the Rams a call.

Another option is Jay Cutler. If Cutler falls out of the top ten, I would expect two teams to start working the phones - Minnesota and Denver.

Initially when Denver traded up to get Atlanta's 15th overall pick, there was an ESPN nugget that they did so in hopes of drafting a QB. Hard to tell who exactly they're interested in, but Cutler should certainly be an option for them.

As for Minnesota, they traded their franchise QB to Miami, and Brad Johnson should not be depended on for anything more than a year-by-year basis. The Vikings need someone to groom as the future of their franchise, and may want to move up to take Jay if he starts to slip.

You may be asking yourself, why would either of them move up to 11th overall when Cutler may in fact slip to 15th or 17th, or they could trade with a team after the Rams for less? Well, the Rams have made it a point to show legitimate interest in a quarterback. They're scheduling a pre-draft visit with Jay Cutler, and GM Charlie Armey has beamed about Cutler on Randy Karraker's radio program. Some have already speculated on this, but perhaps this is all a smokescreen to show teams that, if a top QB like Cutler does fall, he wouldn't make it by 11, so the Rams are the ones these teams need to deal with.

Trading down to 14, 15, or 17, the Rams would be in much better position to grab an available DB or LB. In the defensive backfield, the Rams could consider such options as FS Jason Allen, DBs Donte Whitner and Jimmy Williams, or CBs Tye Hill, Antonio Cromartie, or maybe even Jonathan Joseph. At LB, the Rams would be in a great position in the mid to late teens to grab maybe an Ernie Sims, Chad Greenway, or even Demeco Ryans.

Just some food for thought.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

bigredman Guest

Re: Interesting Trade Possibilities

I don't think its improbable at all that the Rams may make a move in the draft. I'm seeing a vision by our head coach that is both refreshing and innovative on both sides of the ball. He has mentioned that he will put a new emphasis on the TE position with the new offense, and he also has plainly indicated his desire to have top ranked lock down defense.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Wow, Nick your board is exactly (even in the same order) as mine in the last week (ever since W. Justice went crazy at his pro day). My question is do you still anticipate New Orleans drafting Ferguson now that they have publicly committed to moving J. Brown to left tackle? Granted ther traded Gandy and need an OT, but I'm not sure they would want to pay the 2nd pick in draft to play RT.

WHAT SAY YE?

RamsFan16 Guest

Stay and take Greenway I say but it may be a little bit of homerism.
    Last edited by RamsFan16; -04-09-2006 at 10:07 PM.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Stay and take Greenway I saw but it may be a little bit of homerism.
    Homerism??? From you RF????? Nahhhhhhhhhh.

:tongue: LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Some of the excuses made for Jared Cook are laughable.

RamsFan16 Guest

Hey. Atleast I admit it And don't have 3 Hawkeye players in my draft

Hey. Atleast I admit it And don't have 3 Hawkeye players in my draft
    But I think in your early drafts you did. Two for sure.

RamsFan16 Guest

Yes but now its either Greenway or Hodge.

Yes but now its either Greenway or Hodge.
    You have come a long way from it being the St Louis Hawkeyes. LOL

I'm almost "drafted out" because of all the talk and mocks, and articles, and what time Huff uses the bathroom etc. LOL I know there isn't much left to talk about, but I just want the draft. :tongue:

I will say I have learned more about some college guys because of Nick, RF16, among others, I appreciate all that. I'm just ready for the draft now.

chiguy is online now Registered User

I'd love to see us trade down and pick up another first day pick. The only exception is if one of the guys who is really a game changer on D falls, but that seems unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable
    Wow, Nick your board is exactly (even in the same order) as mine in the last week (ever since W. Justice went crazy at his pro day). My question is do you still anticipate New Orleans drafting Ferguson now that they have publicly committed to moving J. Brown to left tackle? Granted ther traded Gandy and need an OT, but I'm not sure they would want to pay the 2nd pick in draft to play RT.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Honestly I think it's a huge smokescreen. Brown is a natural right tackle. He's a perfect fit on that side. This could be similar to what the Panthers tried with Jordan Gross, only to find they had to move him back a couple seasons later. I think they'd be making a huge mistake moving Brown to the left side and not taking Ferguson. Not that Brown would tank at LT, but the combo of LT Ferguson and RT Brown would be a great combo for Drew Brees for years to come.

chiguy is online now Registered User

Doesn't that kind of common sense suggest to you that the Saints will do anything but choose Ferguson, Nick?

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy
    Doesn't that kind of common sense suggest to you that the Saints will do anything but choose Ferguson, Nick?
    Heh, touché.

I wouldn't be shocked if they took Mario Williams, AJ Hawk, or even Matt Leinart at that spot, either. But I think Brick is their best bet.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Heh, touché.

I wouldn't be shocked if they took Mario Williams, AJ Hawk, or even Matt Leinart at that spot, either. But I think Brick is their best bet.
    I think they will go with Hawk or Brick, you cant expect them to be foolish enough to take Williams when they have Grant and Smith or Leinart when they have Brees

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247
    I think they will go with Hawk or Brick, you cant expect them to be foolish enough to take Williams when they have Grant and Smith or Leinart when they have Brees
    They had Darren Howard and Charles Grant when they drafted Will Smith, so it seems like the Saints value a solid rotation at DE. Furthermore, Grant has the size to potentially move inside to tackle for some looks, allowing all three to be on the field at the same time.

As for Leinart, he's a possibility if they can't trade out of that spot. At worst, they'd likely have their own version of the Brees/Rivers situation. Leinart would be a good insurance policy should Brees not recover from injury, or they could take him and trade his rights immediately with a later team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast