Mooselini is offline Registered User

I've been thinking...

About a trade we can do with the draft pick. We all know that DE is a need at this point. So what if we trade down to get Gholston, get who ever we trade with's 1st round and 2nd round.

This way we'll have 1 first round and 2 second rounds. Is this just a stupid dream or does it seem reasonable.

This way we can snag Gholston in the first round and get a Safety and Wide Receiver in the second round.

Please discuss. It would be a good deal for us, but I'm not sure if this is reasonable.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Re: I've been thinking...

As much as I like Chris Long I can see value in what you are saying. Especially since it's a real possibility Miami will take CL.

To get Gholston I don't think we could drop below the sixth pick. The problem then becomes the needs of 3-6.

The Falcons I think want Ryan. We aren't going to take him so they either need to trade with Miami or stay put.

I have no clue what goes on in the Al Davis' mind but a lot of people have his Raiders taking McFaddin. Since it is very doubtful the Dolphins, Rams or Falcons will take him they have no incentive to trade up. He should fall to them at 4.

Kansas is a possibility if we can convince them we will take Jake Long if he is there. I think they want him but again not sure they want him bad enough to trade up.

Jets are our best possibility. It seems they have been on a serious spending spree and I think they could use a better qb and rb. If they have the cap space left they may be willing to bite.

That's my 2 cents

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

For a trade to eventuate, there has to be a trade partner. Speculate all you want, but as the events of the past days have proven, a lot of trade speculation is pointless.

But FWIW...

Someone would have to fall in love with a player, and be convinced that player won't be there by the time they pick. The only way I see this happening is if Kansas City falls head over heels for Jake Long, AND Chris Long is #1 overall. Moreover, we'd have to be convinced Gholston/Whoever else we're targeting would be available at pick 5. Maybe Oakland goes with Gholston over Dorsey or McFadden. Then we'd find ourselves in the predicament of having some other team's discard pile, potentially drating a player who doesn't make an immediate impact.

This sort of trade would be one that's made on draft day, not prior to, because it has direct bearing on who Miami selects at #1. If they choose, say, Matt Ryan, all bets are off, and Chris Long would become the logical pick.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

There's a reason you don't see many trades this high in the draft. This class really isn't overloaded with elite talent. KC might want to trade up to get Long, but from a value chart perspective, it would cost more than a second rounder to get it done. I really don't see us making a move, to be quite honest. I'm not sure anyone close to us is so infatuated with one of the top guys that they'd have to trade up and get him, and trading out of the top 5-6 wouldn't be ideal.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    There's a reason you don't see many trades this high in the draft. This class really isn't overloaded with elite talent. KC might want to trade up to get Long, but from a value chart perspective, it would cost more than a second rounder to get it done. I really don't see us making a move, to be quite honest. I'm not sure anyone close to us is so infatuated with one of the top guys that they'd have to trade up and get him, and trading out of the top 5-6 wouldn't be ideal.
    That's the thing though, we throw the chart out the window and only ask for either next year's first and this year's third or this years second. It doesn't meet trade value, but it gets us to pay a little less to the first pick and gets us extra picks. I don't see us moving because there won't be a partner, unless somehow KC HAS to have Jake Long at #2. The only other trade I see is a three way trade that has someone lower trading up with someone in the top 6 and then trading with us.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

i posted this exact same trade scenario in my wide receiver topic as its the ideal draft. however its only a best case scenario which i dont see happening because of the reasons posted in this topic

TekeRam is offline Registered User

As an update on the KC idea, I'm watching NFL Total Access, and they just covered the Chiefs draft needs. They need three starters on their offensive line and have a few other holes. They're saying that they need to get three starters at least from the draft.

Mike Maynock said that unless Jake Long is there at #5, they're going to try to move down, shopping the pick for McFadden, so that they can move down to the middle of round 1 to get an OT and a couple more picks.

This makes a lot of sense and now I think that KC may be the least likely to trade up with us.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    As an update on the KC idea, I'm watching NFL Total Access, and they just covered the Chiefs draft needs. They need three starters on their offensive line and have a few other holes. They're saying that they need to get three starters at least from the draft.

Mike Maynock said that unless Jake Long is there at #5, they're going to try to move down, shopping the pick for McFadden, so that they can move down to the middle of round 1 to get an OT and a couple more picks.

This makes a lot of sense and now I think that KC may be the least likely to trade up with us.
    Oh this looks good. But you're saying they need atleast 3 starters from the draft. So the likely chance of us getting their second round will be next to none.