tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

ive heard from a few places that the Rams will be aggressive in Free Agency

if that is the case, who do they go for? You have to factor in the lack of space in the cap at the moment, which probably means we wont be able to go after the top player at the position we need. Although with a well written contract we could fit one of the top FAs on the team.

The following players are effectively off the market because of being franchise tagged:

Karlos Dansby, Terrell Suggs, Jordan gross, Stacy Andrews, Ken Hamlin, Corey Williams, Dallas Clark, Jared Allen, Nnamdi Asamugha, LJ Smith, Marcus Trufant and Albert Haynesworth

If we consider the Rams needs we see that the team could do with good competition/new starters at: OL, WR, DL, LB, SS, K

so who do you think we go for?

i would like to see us at least make a run at Alan Faneca, as it would give us a dominate left side of the OL if Pace comes back strong. however as the top OL player available he could command a very good price, something the Rams might not be able to offer. Flozell Adams is the top tackle available, but i think the Rams would be more inclined to draft a tackle to compete with Barron, and use free agency to improve the centre of the line.

i think there are a fair few players available at the LB and safety positions who could give good competition as well as potentially start, so i just hope we pick someone up to play here. Id like for us to look at Kawika Mitchell to man the strong side, and maybe take a look at Boss Bailey to come in and compete with Pisa on the weakside. Problem with Bailey is that he is probably the only LB more injury prone than Pisa.

i dont see us making a run at Justin Smith though, as we already have two old starters in Hall and Little, and i think the only way to improve this position is to bring in a youngster like Chris Long or Vernon Gholston through the draft.

There also isnt much going on with WRs in free agency, so if we do pick one up it will be through the draft

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Re: ive heard from a few places that the Rams will be aggressive in Free Agency

With the cap not sure how aggressive they can be? I guess they can cut alot of players and overpay for some of these players. I am a firm believer that FA is best used when your a championship team who needs that 1 or 2 players to get over the hump. The current Rams should find a team identity/system and start drafting some of these players instead of overpaying in FAgency?

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    With the cap not sure how aggressive they can be? I guess they can cut alot of players and overpay for some of these players. I am a firm believer that FA is best used when your a championship team who needs that 1 or 2 players to get over the hump. The current Rams should find a team identity/system and start drafting some of these players instead of overpaying in FAgency?
    Agreed 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post

we will draft some, like a DE and OT in the first two rounds, however i think we need to go out in free agency and grab a decent interior OL player.

the last time the Rams went out and grabbed a big name, decent FA interior offensive lineman was Adam Timmerman, and he helped take the Rams to the Superbowl in his first year.

you have to remember that the Rams arent that many players away from being a top team, and the Rams were made to look worse than they actually are last season because of the ridiculous amount of injuries

keith m. klink Guest

the rams have a very young offensive line , and the interior are just kid's . the rams could pay a vet GAURD or CENTER to come in and anchor the inside with veteran leadership . FANECA or STARKS at gaurd and / or FAINE or WEIGMAN as a new center. we got MCALLUM from the seapigeons a whole bunch of years ago didn't we , and look what he did for this team. i think a good 4-6 year vet would be good for the interior line .

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The Rams could be aggressive but on the cheap. I'd be shocked to see them make any kind of serious play for the big name free agents; we'd have to really do some wonders with the cap to make it happen.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The Rams could be aggressive but on the cheap. I'd be shocked to see them make any kind of serious play for the big name free agents; we'd have to really do some wonders with the cap to make it happen.
    Agreed. I mean, even if its not the best FA, we can get a decent one at a decent price. Maybe ONE big named star. I would love to see a vet center or guard on this team, to teach the young kids so when the time is up, they can shine.

But don't expect us to go crazy in the FA. Sources say that, but we're going to easily sign our first 3 picks in the draft, then resign some of our own players. Don't expect much in the FA.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm not even sure I see a big star on the radar. I think we add a couple of offensive line players, maybe some depth at defensive end and linebacker. I wouldn't be shocked to see us go out and make quick moves on Casey Wiegman or Chris Liwienski. As in, be aggressive but for guys who won't cost much that we already have some knowledge of.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

maybe we should videotape the redskins Free agent signing strategies. they always seem to have extra dough laying around even with so little to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm not even sure I see a big star on the radar. I think we add a couple of offensive line players, maybe some depth at defensive end and linebacker. I wouldn't be shocked to see us go out and make quick moves on Casey Wiegman or Chris Liwienski. As in, be aggressive but for guys who won't cost much that we already have some knowledge of.
    i agree with you about not getting a big star, mainly because we would easily get priced out of the market. i like the idea of grabbing Wiegman, but id like to see us pick up either a LB or safety as well

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-MONEY View Post
    maybe we should videotape the redskins Free agent signing strategies. they always seem to have extra dough laying around even with so little to work with.
    Wanna know how they do it? They give extremely backloaded contracts with large signing bonuses. In layman terms, hat means they pay a bunch up front which then is able to get distributed over the "length" of the contract, very very little on the first couple years of the contract in terms of salary, but then the rest of the money comes in quick and heavy at the end. So, for example:

5 year, $30 million contract: $15 million signing bonus, $15 million salary.
    Signing bonus counts $3m/year.
    Salaries are 700,000...900,000...1m...4.9m...7.5m.
    Cap counts are: 3.7m, 3.9m, 4m, 7.9m, 10.5m.

And as such, the Skins cut the guy after 3 years because the cap jump is so high. The problem then is, in year 4, he was to count 7.9m on the cap, but after cutting him he still counts 6m or 3m(and 3m the next year) depending on when he's cut.