Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: I've started to rethink the Danny Amendola issue.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I've started to rethink the Danny Amendola issue.

Let me start by saying that I like what Danny brings to the table. He's reliable and, when healthy, is among the better slot receivers in the league.

That said, I believe that the Rams still need a No. 1 WR on the outside. If the Rams are going to target a No. 1 WR in free agency (i.e. Dwyane Bowe, Mike Wallace), then they can't afford to pay Danny top dollar (and certainly can't afford to place the franchise tag on him).

That's where the tough choice comes in.

In my mind, finding a No. 1 WR in the draft (in a year where there's no A.J. Green or Megatron, and the Rams don't have a Top 15 pick anyway), is a 50/50 proposition at best.

On the other hand, finding a slot receiver who can do what Danny does (or, at least, come close) is much easier.

For example, if you knew that, by letting Danny go, the Rams would be able to sign Bowe or Wallace, then draft a guy like Tavon Austin in Round 2 to play the slot position, would you do it?

I think I would.

In fact, I know I would.
    Nick, Richbert88, Bald_81 and 2 others like this.

Ram187 is offline Registered User

Re: I've started to rethink the Danny Amendola issue.

Would you be willing to let Danny go for Welker? And pay the money for Wes? I like Danny and I hope he stay's! The big question is SJ! What is the front office going to do with him? I think Pead is a great disappointment, and Richardson was a blessing for our last pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram187 View Post
    Would you be willing to let Danny go for Welker?
    Absolutely not. First of all, Welker will be 32 when next season starts. Second, I don't know that he'd have the kind of production he has in NE in any other system.

I like Danny and I hope he stay's! The big question is SJ! What is the front office going to do with him? I think Pead is a great disappointment, and Richardson was a blessing for our last pick.
    Um... yeah. This is a classic example of what we call "derailing the thread."

Please try to stay on topic.

Thanks.

Ram187 is offline Registered User

I think with more work with the receivers we have the WR position is going to be solid. We just need time like other positions to mature.
    Last edited by Ram187; -01-02-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

I don't know AV... I am still torn on how much Danny is worth.

I think you can draft 100 slot receivers and not find one close to what DA brings to the team.

Smart, heart, fire and desire... and that's on top of great hands, route running and playmaking abilities. I mean any time, that every time, your slot receiver is your #1 threat I think it's impressive. I drool at the thought of what Danny could do with a true #1 that would let him get just one extra step. : )

As much as it pains me I would rather sign Danny and Wallace and let Jackson go. : (

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

This is quite the conundrum. If the Rams decide to spend the money on a No. 1 WR instead of Danny maybe Austin Pettis can get the job done in the slot. He is not as quick as 'Dola but has good size and hands. I really like some of the plays he made in the red zone this year. Plus, since he will be entering his 3rd year as a pro he may be ready to shine and elevate his game to another level.

I do agree that getting a No. 1 receiver is job 1 this offseason. No more messing around with questionable players. We need to get Sam the weapons he needs to compete at a high level.

WHAT SAY YE?

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I've started to rethink the Danny Amendola issue.

No more drafting receivers please. Lets bring in some veteran presence and let Pettis, Givens , and Quick compete.

I think you go into next season with this group of receivers:

1) Dwayne bowe or Greg Jennings
    2) Danny Amendola
    3 Chris Givens
    4 Brian Quick
    5) Austin Pettis

I think DA can be signed cheaper than we think. I'm liking a 4yr 23 million dollar deal. He's worth every bit 5 million a year. I think you give Austin Pettis one more year to prove his worth. He seems to have a decent repore with Vradford.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Not sure I would do that...

With any FA WR we bring in they will need to build that chemistry with Sam and that will take some time. Danny and Sam have it already. If we went that route Givens, Pettis and Quick would be the only receivers that Sam has played with. I am amusing you are not resigning Gibby.

It's going to be an interesting off season.... in the end I just want Les to do for the Offense what he did for our Defense this year.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

This is an interesting question/thought. Rethinking is were I'm at as well.

I guess for me (I'm an Amendola fan) is Amendola's production replaceable? How much is it going to cost to keep him? Is having Amendola (at the right price) going to put us over the top? (into the playoffs) Will not having Amendola prevent us from making the playoffs? Tough questions but I do know this I'm not breaking the bank for him.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

This is an interesting thought and one that I had a few weeks back when the thread about who would you resign as a FA, SJax or Amendola. HUbison and I had a spirited conversation online and I said SJax despite his age over Amendola, because a slot WR can be replaced easier than the talent and leadership SJax offers. Nonethless, I agree we need to think the Amendola situation over intensively. On the plus side he's a great talent that Sam relies on in a pinch. But he's a health concern. For the type of money he's looking for I would explore our options carefully. Let me say now, I fully believe we're going to see a much better Brian Quick next season as he learns the position more completely. I base this largely on our drafting people selecting him where they did over perhaps a Reuben Randle.

But back to Amendola, we still need to improve our WR weapons and saving some money on Amendola could have a lot of potential given the money he'll want, his health and the development of our other WR's. Tavon Austin as a 2nd round pick may also offer a less costly and more effective way to go. Bottom line, I like your thinking AV as we need to shake up our offense for next year.

Go Rams!

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    No more drafting receivers please. Lets bring in some veteran presence and let Pettis, Givens , and Quick compete.

I think you go into next season with this group of receivers:

1) Dwayne bowe or Greg Jennings
    2) Danny Amendola
    3 Chris Givens
    4 Brian Quick
    5) Austin Pettis

I think DA can be signed cheaper than we think. I'm liking a 4yr 23 million dollar deal. He's worth every bit 5 million a year. I think you give Austin Pettis one more year to prove his worth. He seems to have a decent repore with Vradford.
    If Danny would sign for that kind of money, it could be possible to keep him and sign premium FA.

I'm presuming that he'll seek a "market rate" contract, which would likely lead to the Rams having to choose between him and pursuing a guy like Wallace or Bowe.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

With Danny's question about injuries plus his commitment to this organization, I don't think we have to worry about spending top dollar on him, although it's questionable if we're also willing to sign him for a contract for more than 2 years.

DE_Ramfan is online now Registered User

If I knew we were able to get Bowe or Wallace then I'd pass on resigning Danny. However, I would resign him before I drafted another receiver. I think we need to let the rookies simmer before we add more raw meat to the stew.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

If we can get Bowe or Wallace then we should pass on Danny.

I love Deandre Hopkins so if he's available in the first I'd take him as well.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I think the money is the issue here. And for the money that DA would need to stay (most likely) I'd hate to see him return any kind of kicks also.

Per your scenario, I'd go with Tavon Austin and less money, and try to sign Bowe or Wallace. The receivers already here need to continue to develop and step up. This decision is made slightly easier due to Givens. In this scenario though, I'd want one of those two top TEs so that Kendrick and rookie can develop to take over some of that short or seam stuff. And of course, this requires some OL improvements.

In retrospect, just not as simple an answer as I would have preferred at this point, but I like your thinking.
    Semper Fi!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast