Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: I've started to rethink the Danny Amendola issue.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Re: I've started to rethink the Danny Amendola issue.

the part of getting a #1 then drafting a guy seems great but we can be in for a double whammy

If we let ramendola test the market and the pats scoop him up as a younger cheaper option than welker and we loose the bidding for for Bowe and jennings we are put in a horrible situation because now we need to get WRs in the draft that can make an impact right away

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

I want Danny back. Fact is, if he is thrown a catchable ball, he catches it. Although Pettis came on really strong towards the end of the year, particularly in the red zone, he still drops some catchable passes in key situations. The thing is as well, the Rams and Rams fans love him because he does so much for us, and impresses us, and we know what we can do. But he isn't a stat machine. Besides his huge game against Washington, this year he hasn't put up the name kind of numbers that Welker has. And he has also suffered a few injuries. I don't think he will necessarily cost as much as some people here will think.

And what about Brandon Gibson. Not much has been said about bringing him back, but the guy did very, very well at times and Bradford seems to trust him in some clutch situations. I don't want him starting obviously, but having him around as a backup option would be very good.

Considering how many players you can take to training camp now days I would like to re-sign Gibson, re-sign Amendola, and make a play at a big name WR, depending who is available.

Because the problem is, what if you don't resign Gibson or Amendola on the idea that you pick up a big name WR, and we don't manage to sign one. I would at the very least want to go into next year with the same tools for Sam if we can't do better. We missed out on players like Meachem, Manningham and Garcon in FA, and we didn't even get a look at Vincent Jackson.

I'm also not too keen on throwing big money at Mike Wallace when i think Chris Givens offers a similar skill set. That really only leaves Dwayne Bowe when it comes to WRs that aren't old (ie Greg Jennings). I think Bowe could be awesome on the Rams, but there are fans of probably 10-20 teams thinking the same thing about having Bowe on their team

For me, i just remember the 2010 draft when Demaryius Thomas and Dez Bryant were taken in the 20s. How the Rams would love to have either of those guys right now. We also don't know at this stage what will happen with regards to draft order and how players are perceived.

Of course, there could be a WR that gets released between now and then that sparks my interest more.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

My thought process is this: we've seen this offense with Amendola, and it's not getting things done consistently. If we're going to have to pay Danny $30+ million to stay here, then IMO, we're better off paying more to get the legitimate #1 weapon that we've desperately needed rather than essentially maintain the status quo. Someone like Pettis or Givens or a rookie or cheaper vet could line up and be effective in the slot. Maybe not as effective as Danny, but probably effective enough, especially with a more legitimate #1 guy on the outside forcing defenses to keep an eye on him.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Danny hasnt EVER had a season with over 700yds and never had more than 3tds. He doesnt warrant big money... Franchise tag... HELL NO! 30mil... No. 25mill... No! He is a good player but he isnt anywhere near great, plus he is hurt regularly . Maybe someone will throw money at him but hopefulply we wont. And if he goes somewhere else i predict it will be the beggining of the end of his career. He wont mean as much to any team that he does for us imo.

Rawr is offline Registered User

Bowe, Givens, and Austin would do wonders for Sam's numbers. I think we'd have to take Austin in the first round, though. He's just too good for somebody not to take him before our second rounder. Amendola would be great to have if we got him for what he's worth. All signs point to him being overpaid, though. Gotta let him go.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

I would resign him for cheap because I don't think he will be getting any big offers from other teams. 5' 10" injury prone slot receivers who average 430 receiving yards and under 9 yards a catch for their career tend to not get the big money contracts because they don't deserve them.

Clearly something has to be done to improve this offense because the Rams are never going to win consistently while being 25th ranked in scoring. Hopefully Givens and Quick develop but we have been banking on potential at the receiver position since 2009 and that hasn't produced anything but mediocrity. If the Rams sign Wallace or Bowe, re-sign Amendola and draft Womack and one of the top 2 TE's then this offense could be respectable and make the Rams a playoff team for the next few years.
    Nick likes this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

100% on board for this strategy.

I love Danny but theres just no hesitation in my mind as to whether Id do it.

citr92 is offline Registered User

*COUGH*ROBERTWOODS*COUGH

no jk, but seriously, didn't think of that...hm...that's a tough one, want a #1, but love DA, it'd be weird with him not on the team

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Let me start by saying that I like what Danny brings to the table. He's reliable and, when healthy, is among the better slot receivers in the league.

That said, I believe that the Rams still need a No. 1 WR on the outside. If the Rams are going to target a No. 1 WR in free agency (i.e. Dwyane Bowe, Mike Wallace), then they can't afford to pay Danny top dollar (and certainly can't afford to place the franchise tag on him).

That's where the tough choice comes in.
    It is difficult to make a call on this one, as we really have no idea how much Danny is seeking, or how much other teams are willing to pay him. That said, it would be very interesting if we could get Sam Bradford to weigh in on this one. I'll venture this: The current Rams brain trust will not overpay for D.A. My guess is all parties concerned within the Rams, will find a way to keep Danny - same as they will likely do for Steven Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Not sure I would do that...
    With any FA WR we bring in they will need to build that chemistry with Sam and that will take some time. Danny and Sam have it already.
    Precisely! I don't believe Danny is going to demand crazy money - he can be rewarded for his hard work and great attitude without breaking the bank. I am betting that Danny will still be wearing horns next year .. If my guess is wrong, and Danny does want the megabucks no matter what, then yes I'd agree with Av, and most likely so would the Rams.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'm as hopeful as anyone that Danny won't ask for "big money" but, the reality is, this may be his only chance to get that type of contract in his career. As a result, if the "market" would pay him $6M+/year, I'm not sure why anyone here is confident that Danny won't seek that kind of money.

While it could be a nightmare scenario for Rams fans, I would not be in the least bit shocked if the Patriots decide not to pay Wes Welker the kind of money it would take to keep him (probably in the $7-8M/year range) and, instead, pursue Amendola.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Maybe the Rams can structure his deal with incentives like the Vikes did with Harvin's contract. That way we protect ourselves if he continues to get hurt and Amendola can get paid if he does not.

According to a source with knowledge of Harvin's contract, the former Florida standout was originally scheduled to earn $1.175 million in base salary in 2013. That figure increased by $350,000 when Harvin caught more than 55 passes as a rookie (he finished with 60 receptions) and another $25,000 when Harvin was named the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year.

Each season Harvin has with 70 or more receptions triggers a $500,000 increase in his 2013 base salary. With two 70-plus catch seasons (2010, 2011) on his resume, Harvin's base salary will increase to at least $2.55 million in the final season of his rookie contract.

Harvin has an additional $793,750 in base salary escalation available, based on his playing time, receiving production and Pro Bowl selection status this season.

Should Harvin maximize the remaining escalation available, he'll have a base salary of $3,343,750 in 2013, that would bring his earnings (base salary plus workout bonuses) over these next two seasons to $4,313,750. That's still a bargain for the Vikings, who have been reluctant to pay Harvin given their concerns over his ability to remain healthy. If Harvin reports on time and produces at a high level, the team may be inclined to rework his contract next offseason.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

I wholeheartedly agree.

Danny is great, but IMO he would be even better if he wasn't our #1 option. As a compliment to a bona fide #1 WR his game and strengths would be greater for an offense. Despite the gaudy stats, you can argue that Welker wasn't a #1 option in New England and his effectiveness is enhanced by the surrounding parts (Moss 07-09, Gronk/Hernandez 10-present).

If he asks for too much money, let him walk and use it on a Wallace or Jennings in FA. Then we can replace him in the draft or just slide Givens inside while still making use of his deep speed occasionally.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Danny Amendola.....STILL the Rodney Dangerfield of professional football.
    MauiRam, Rambunctious and C-Mob 71 like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

LARAM is offline Registered User

Yes, Deandre Hopkins looks like he's gonna be a star. That would be great if the Rams scored him in the draft. The guy straight up dominated LSU's Defense in Chick Filet Bowl.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    If we can get Bowe or Wallace then we should pass on Danny.

I love Deandre Hopkins so if he's available in the first I'd take him as well.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LARAM View Post
    Yes, Deandre Hopkins looks like he's gonna be a star. That would be great if the Rams scored him in the draft. The guy straight up dominated LSU's Defense in Chick Filet Bowl.
    we'd could possibly get him with our 2nd 1st rounder also. He really reminds me of Holt because of his route running, polish, hands and size.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast