throwback week

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

The A.J. Green Debate Thread

I thought this concept was deserving of it's own lone thread for people to discuss the prospects of the Rams trading up for AJ Green.

Offer scenarios you would be up for, and scenarios you would be against.

Personally, I think AJ Green, and Julio Jones are going to be great prospects. I just like Green more. Plus, with the February combine a chance for Jones to increase his stock, I am scared he may not fall to us.

In that scenario, if we miss out on both, and fail to lock up a #1 via FA, it'll be same s*** different year.

The ideal trade scenario for me would be with the Browns as they are a likely partner, and I think AJ falls to them. Offer a package like our 1,3 and a player for the Browns 1.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: The A.J. Green Debate Thread

For the Rams to have a a chance to possibly trade up they need to AJ Green to drop to the 5th spot because Cleveland would definately take him unless we blew there socks off with a trade. That would mean the top 4 players would be any combination of Fairley, Bowers, Miller, and Peterson. We would also have to trade with our devision rival Cardinals. Considering all these factors a trade would be very unlikely, but since this a hypothetical I will offer a scenario.

When the jets traded up to 5 spot to select Mark Sanchez they traded there 1st round pick 2nd round pick and 3 backup type of players. The Rams would be trading up 9 as opposed to 12 picks like the Jets so there is some added value there. So the Rams would have to trade their first second and ill make the throw in guys James Butler, Bryan Kehl, and Donnie Avery.
    Last edited by 39thebeast; -01-31-2011 at 01:19 PM.

shower beers is offline Registered User

This is the first year in a while where the first pick will take it easy on our pockets. I don't foresee a strong desire to get back up there in the big money picks.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I just dont understand why we would trade a 2nd round pick (and then some) to get the best WR out of a good WR class. Itz not like Green is the only potential #1 WR.

The last 2 years we have found a franchise MLB and LT in the 2nd round and i am very confident in Billy D and Spags draft choices why give them up?

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    I just dont understand why we would trade a 2nd round pick (and then some) to get the best WR out of a good WR class. Itz not like Green is the only potential #1 WR.

The last 2 years we have found a franchise MLB and LT in the 2nd round and i am very confident in Billy D and Spags draft choices why give them up?

Exactly. While we have certainly improved, we're nowhere near finished rebuilding this team. We need to retain as many picks as possible to fill our team back up with talent and depth.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I like Green a lot, but I'm not crazy about the idea of packaging picks/players together to move up there and get him, because I think it would take a pretty decent package.

Valid points by all. I created this thread so we can simply talk about the concept of a potential trade up, as I figure there to be a bunch of AJ Green threads so keep it up in here. I would prefer using our money on other positions via FA (pending a CBA). Would love for us to get either Green or Jones to grow up with Bradford and be a dynamic duo for the next decade or so!

That being said, I think Green looks like the bigger upside candidate, though I dont think Jones is a slouch by any means.

I am well aware of the no links rule, however there is no way to divulge all this information withought keeping it in link format

I hope you can make the exception for this article, as I thought it was very relevant to this thread as well as the jones green debate

Tale of the Tape: A.J. Green vs. Julio Jones, the final showdown - Dr. Saturday - NCAAF* - Yahoo! Sports

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I think one of them may be there at 14. If so, get him. However, I don't think they are so superior to what else is available that we should mortgage the draft to get one. If they're not there, get the top player on the Rams board and then look for a WR in the 2nd.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

A lot of scouts are coming out and saying Jones is more NFL ready and overall the better prospect. Personally, I agree.

richtree is offline Registered User

The odds of us trading up are less than 1% -- so Let's not waste time on it., lol

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=THOLTFAN81;380367]The ideal trade scenario for me would be with the Browns as they are a likely partner, and I think AJ falls to them. Offer a package like our 1,3 and a player for the Browns 1.

Are you kidding? This would be an awesome deal for the Rams. This kid is that special. Some people on this forum think others are obsessed with the wide receiver position. It's only because we need a #1 guy to move forward. Out of the Free agent list I see Rice being resigned by the Viks and V Jax just isn't our type of guy( too much baggage). I like Jones and think he will be a very good player. But with Green I see us more like a Stafford (if he can hold up) to Johnson combination which would put us back in the big game not too far in the future and last for many many years. But with all that said I really do think the Rams will sit back and try and pick Jones.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

AJ Green's talent is superior than that of Julio Jones but their talents and potential aren't really far apart. Jones on the other hand is more physical than Green, giving him better blocking skills. So unless Green's going to condition the same way Bradford did to fortify his body to par with that of Jones or better, Jones is the better choice in terms of having a wide array of offensive schemes. Utilizing him to block and open holes for Amendola or Jackson running behind the line of scrimmage or when Clayton, Gibson, Avery, or DX have possession with him covering for them are factors that can do wonders for a offense. We're going to need to play an offense with a lot of diversity if we want to be able to beat these tough teams next season.