RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

J. Smith or Monroe might not even be within the top 2 OT performers this year

There are several scarry things about taking an OT at number 2 overall. With the second overall pick you need to know you are getting a star stud starter for years to come. Last year there was 2 better OT's in Long and Clady. Almost every analysis agrees these guys are not in the class of the more elite OT's and both have some questions about them. When taking the first OT in the draft at #2 overall you would hope he would be at lest within the top two OT's in the draft class that year. IMO A. Smith and Oher who just a few short months ago were considered better could outperform them as well as the massive Loadholt. I am not saying that it will happen but these guys are not OTs that stand out and it has been talked about often how there is no real standout OT this year.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-19-2009 at 05:41 PM.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: J. Smith or Monroe might not even be within the top 2 OT performers this year

IMO Monroe and Smith have been consistently gaining ground where as Smith and Oher were at the top at some point, but fell back. Andre Smith may end up outperforming the whole class, but it is his own fault he isn't the Rams pick. If he had the intangibles of Jason Smith there is no doubt in my mind he would be the pick for this power run game, but he doesn't

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: J. Smith or Monroe might not even be within the top 2 OT performers this year

I think a lot of people believe that the lack of a consensus top overall tackle means that neither of the two options are high quality. I disagree. It simply means there are two guys who are both among the top players in this draft. Not being significantly better than the other does not downgrade their talent.

Yes, at one point Andre Smith and Michael Oher were ranked higher on draft boards than Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe. At one point, Rey Maualuga was the elite linebacker in this class, not Aaron Curry. At one point, Michael Johnson was the best DE in this class. But things change as the draft process goes on and as evaluations take place.

All you can do is evaluate your options and choose the one you feel the best about given your criteria.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think a lot of people believe that the lack of a consensus top overall tackle means that neither of the two options are high quality. I disagree. It simply means there are two guys who are both among the top players in this draft. Not being significantly better than the other does not downgrade their talent.

Yes, at one point Andre Smith and Michael Oher were ranked higher on draft boards than Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe. At one point, Rey Maualuga was the elite linebacker in this class, not Aaron Curry. At one point, Michael Johnson was the best DE in this class. But things change as the draft process goes on and as evaluations take place.

All you can do is evaluate your options and choose the one you feel the best about given your criteria.

If I were to take a Tackle in this draft, the fact that A. Smith left the combine without telling anyone would not have any bearing on whether I'd draft him or not.

As long as there's no drug use, or law-breaking involved, he'd be my choice.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    If I were to take a Tackle in this draft, the fact that A. Smith left the combine without telling anyone would not have any bearing on whether I'd draft him or not.

As long as there's no drug use, or law-breaking involved, he'd be my choice.
    So I guess it wouuld not bother you if the guy left before a game on sunday without telling anyone.