Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RebelYell

Thread: Jadaveon Clowney: The Pros and Cons

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Jadaveon Clowney: The Pros and Cons

In honor of Jadaveon Clowney's Pro Day, I thought I'd compile a list of Pros and Cons of taking him with the No. 2 pick.

Pros

Elite athlete; freakish size/speed combination.

Would make the Rams' pass rush virtually unstoppable (with Long, Clowney and Quinn on the field together)

Would give the Rams flexibility should they ever feel that Chris Long is no longer worth his contract.

Would give the Rams a bit of leverage in negotiating Robert Quinn's extension.

Could give the Rams flexibility to trade a player like William Hayes, if a good deal presented itself.

Might eventually be a better run defender than Quinn or Long.

Cons

With no immediate need at DE, Rams would need to find creative ways to keep him on the field, possibly to the detriment of other players.

Reduced productivity in final season at South Carolina calls into question his work ethic/passion for the game.

Taking a "luxury" player at No. 2 prevents Rams from using pick to fill a need, such as OT.

Rams must be convinced that Clowney is a better option then the best trade offered.

When I look at these lists, I understand just how tough a decision the Rams could have (presuming Clowney is not selected by the Texans).

Any other Pros and Cons you would list?

Bald_81 is online now Registered User

Re: Jadaveon Clowney: The Pros and Cons

Nailed it. Not really a gripe...just my own personal opinion here. As a con, you listed "Taking a "luxury" player at No. 2 prevents Rams from using pick to fill a need, such as OT." I would argue the Rams picking that high is a luxury in itself. Yes, we did acquire that pick in the RGIII trade. But the pick is not our own and therefore is not indicative of how far we are as a team of making the playoffs, competing for the division title, etc. Furthermore, any time you draft solely for need when picking that high it is the wrong decision. The pick therefore becomes a "luxury" in my eyes. We were extremely fortunate to have the Redskins completely flop last season and net us a Top 3 pick. Go out and draft the BPA second overall. Again, I understand why that is a con but I'm just giving my personal take on the matter.

After today I honestly think Houston might just nab him first. If he somehow fell to us, we would have to give it strong consideration.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

The big issue to me is if we did select Clowney it would be your pro point 2 and con 1. Can Long, would Long move inside and Let Clowney hit the edge, or would Clowney be up on a two point stance. I'm not sure how versatile Clowney is in that regard.

Its hard, you either take out Long on pass plays, or do some shuffling around. Maybe its why if we went that route ramping up the front seven, I would consider Mack more. Even though he maybe considered a 3-4 linebacker his versitility would allow him to fit in different schemes and excel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    Nailed it. Not really a gripe...just my own personal opinion here. As a con, you listed "Taking a "luxury" player at No. 2 prevents Rams from using pick to fill a need, such as OT." I would argue the Rams picking that high is a luxury in itself. Yes, we did acquire that pick in the RGIII trade. But the pick is not our own and therefore is not indicative of how far we are as a team of making the playoffs, competing for the division title, etc. Furthermore, any time you draft solely for need when picking that high it is the wrong decision. The pick therefore becomes a "luxury" in my eyes. We were extremely fortunate to have the Redskins completely flop last season and net us a Top 3 pick. Go out and draft the BPA second overall. Again, I understand why that is a con but I'm just giving my personal take on the matter.
    I think there is some validity to viewing the No. 2 pick as "found money," and asserting that, as a result, it should be spent purely on the BPA. The question then becomes... is Clowney clearly the BPA? Many believe he is.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I've got it:
    McDonald is FS
    Move Ogletree to SS - there were people that claimed on here he should play there!
    Move Chris Long to OLB, he was projected as a 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE when drafted so this is obviously acceptable.
    Ray Ray is the 2nd coming of Lawrence Taylor supposedly.

I've fixed the entire defense except slot corner and let's be realistic, Quinn is our Slot CB of the future.

There, I've solved all the Rams defensive needs with just the drafting of Clowney.

What's the Rams address to send my bill?
    TekeRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    I've got it:
    McDonald is FS
    Move Ogletree to SS - there were people that claimed on here he should play there!
    Move Chris Long to OLB, he was projected as a 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE when drafted so this is obviously acceptable.
    Ray Ray is the 2nd coming of Lawrence Taylor supposedly.

I've fixed the entire defense except slot corner and let's be realistic, Quinn is our Slot CB of the future.

There, I've solved all the Rams defensive needs with just the drafting of Clowney.

What's the Rams address to send my bill?
    1 Rams Park
    Earth City, Missouri 50322
    Attn: Junk Mail Shredding Department

Saw a little bit of his interview/pro day today. Talked about dropping him into coverage was the first time and the guys interviewing were more then impressed, although might have just been nice to him.

Would it be crazy to move him to Sam? That is why I think like Mack, outside of the passion for the game argument is that he can be placed in multiple areas. If Clowney can do the same, might be as Av put it unstoppable.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Not even a question for me. Undoubtedly, and by a sizeable margin the best player in this draft and has been for the last 2 or 3 years.

Furthermore, has the tape, combine and pro day to back it up.

Only really questioned to give people (media) something to talk about IMO.

If available at two, the Rams will either get a good haul for the rights to him, or draft him themselves.

I'd be ecstatic with either.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -04-03-2014 at 01:08 AM.

Unfortunately is sounds like Houston is going to take J. Clowney number one overall. Things could change but sure seems they are leaning that direction.