Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Jadeveon Clowney

Rambos is offline Registered User

Jadeveon Clowney

Thoughts on what going on with him? Would you draft him? Will his draft position slide?

If you would draft him what would we do with him? I could see moving him all over the line, taking some reps from Long and Quinn. We could have a nice three man rotation going on.

Randart is offline Registered User

Re: Jadeveon Clowney

Hey Rambos what do you think of Gerald Rivers? I really like him alot for that rotational deal. Think we need offensive linemen more than another DEnd, imho anyhow. Would love to get a couple of the top Offensive Linemen this year. Fill out 2nd round with a RB or Corner/Safety and we might just have something here! And of course a developmental QB to take over from KC!

Rivers has shown he can play in the NFL. Clowney on the other hand might be a game changer. I want feed back on him because I'm just not to sure what to think, with I'm trying to not get hurt. that's how I see it.

I agree O line is the biggest need right now. I think we will get a good look at Stacy the rest of the way. That said having two picks and if circumstance workout and he slides a bit, man he could be to good to pass up. The Giants had a great rotation on the D line when they won the SB, just sayin.
    Randart likes this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

i haven't seen too much of clowney to really make a judgement

but all they (tv shows) show is the highlight hit of him going through the line with no one blocking him getting a big hit on the RB...is that all he really is?

saw he was bit winded the first few games...idk, tired of the hype i haven't seen i guess

but to answer your question, no i don't think i'd draft him

other needs to glaring

ManofGod is offline Registered User

I live here in Charlotte and he played literally down the road a few miles before moving on to S. Carolina. The guy is OVERRATED. He got so much publicity from the "big hit" vs. Michigan LAST season, but this year he's been almost a non-factor in each game.

bigdogg2834 is offline Registered User

I'm not sure if I would draft him considering we have so many other needs and already have two very good ends. It sure would be tempting though.

I honestly don't know how anyone could call him overrated. You don't go from being a stud in high school, to a stud in your freshman college year, to the best defensive player in college football your sophomore year, to being overrated the next year. Did that big hit put him on the national map? Sure, but if you didn't know him before hand then you really don't follow college football.

I think this a simply a case where the guy would have turned pro after his sophomore season but the NFL doesn't allow it so he has to wait a year to enter the draft and doesn't want to mess up his future by getting a career ending injury. I hate to see a guy dog it out on the field or whatever he is doing but at the same time I understand. I think the NFL needs to change that policy to allow guys like him to go pro earlier if they feel they are ready.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogg2834 View Post
    I'm not sure if I would draft him considering we have so many other needs and already have two very good ends. It sure would be tempting though.

I honestly don't know how anyone could call him overrated. You don't go from being a stud in high school, to a stud in your freshman college year, to the best defensive player in college football your sophomore year, to being overrated the next year. Did that big hit put him on the national map? Sure, but if you didn't know him before hand then you really don't follow college football.

I think this a simply a case where the guy would have turned pro after his sophomore season but the NFL doesn't allow it so he has to wait a year to enter the draft and doesn't want to mess up his future by getting a career ending injury. I hate to see a guy dog it out on the field or whatever he is doing but at the same time I understand. I think the NFL needs to change that policy to allow guys like him to go pro earlier if they feel they are ready.
    I'm not sure he was the best DE last season in college football there was also: Sam Montgomery, Bjoern Werner, Barkevious Mingo, Dion Jordan who were also "studs".

Also I'm not sure that I can ever give a guy a pass due to "watching out for his career", often poor play (if he is "doggin it") often shows even bigger character flaws.

bigdogg2834 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    I'm not sure he was the best DE last season in college football there was also: Sam Montgomery, Bjoern Werner, Barkevious Mingo, Dion Jordan who were also "studs".

Also I'm not sure that I can ever give a guy a pass due to "watching out for his career", often poor play (if he is "doggin it") often shows even bigger character flaws.

Well, he did win the award for best DE in college football last year. If I were a betting man I'd wager that had he been able to come out, he would have been taken higher than everyone you listed.

I'm not saying I condone what he is doing, merely saying I understand why he is doing it if that is the case and giving my take on why his play has fallen off this year. He is his own man and has to live with his actions if that is the case. It's not my place to judge. I'm not the one with millions on the line and an unfortunate rule in place.I still think he is going in the top five regardless of what happens this year.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

He looks like a guy that is just mailing it in. I guess, intellectually, I understand him not wanting to get hurt.......but it still makes me want to puke. Players play. And winners give it all they have on every down.

This guy could be the next Bruce Smith, but I'm not sure I'd want him around.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Right now, I don't think the Rams can afford the luxury of using a first round pick on their deepest position (Long, Quinn, Hayes, Sims, Rivers).

I think we'll be looking at OT, CB, S, RB and OG.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

If he's playing for a 4-8 team does he start doggin it so he's ready for next season? That's what would be running through my head if I were drafting him. Not a good precedent to set.
    HUbison and ManofGod like this.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

The interview process will be important, but there's a part of me that wonders if this is just another case of a top prospect being overanalyzed and criticized because he's on top.

I don't view defensive end as a position of need, but that could change depending on how you view the long term prospects of Robert Quinn. In a year or two, if he keeps up his production, Robert Quinn is probably going to want the same $12 million per year deal that Chris Long just got.

What kind of effect will that have on the Rams' salary cap and their ability to address other positions? Can the Rams afford to give Quinn a big extension if they're also going to have to make a financial reinvestment in Bradford around the same time?

It might make more sense financially to shop Quinn and draft a guy like Clowney as his replacement, knowing that you've got Bradford to pay down the line and may not have the money in the bank for Quinn.

I dunno, just thinking out loud here.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The interview process will be important, but there's a part of me that wonders if this is just another case of a top prospect being overanalyzed and criticized because he's on top.

I don't view defensive end as a position of need, but that could change depending on how you view the long term prospects of Robert Quinn. In a year or two, if he keeps up his production, Robert Quinn is probably going to want the same $12 million per year deal that Chris Long just got.

What kind of effect will that have on the Rams' salary cap and their ability to address other positions? Can the Rams afford to give Quinn a big extension if they're also going to have to make a financial reinvestment in Bradford around the same time?

It might make more sense financially to shop Quinn and draft a guy like Clowney as his replacement, knowing that you've got Bradford to pay down the line and may not have the money in the bank for Quinn.

I dunno, just thinking out loud here.
    I was thinking the along those same lines with cap space and Quinn. I have to think the Rams want to do a two year extension with Bradford before they let him get to the end of his deal. 17 million in cap space next year alone. Cort is another deal that has to get redone, he's way over paid, If I had to choose between Quinn and Long I would take Quinn and shop Long.

Quinn a big extension if they're also going to have to make a financial reinvestment in Bradford around the same time? I think they could because our team will be made up of so many younger cheaper players, including next year two first round picks to fill holes. I don't see us making a big splash in FA next year with so many of our own draft picks coming up soon. Now Pettis looks like a keeper as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    If I had to choose between Quinn and Long I would take Quinn and shop Long.
    Probably not an option now, since the Rams extended Long in July 2012.

Jadeveon Clowney still top draft pick? NFL exec: 'I'd be scared to death to take him if I had a top-10 pick'
    By Eric Adelson
    October 8, 2013 6:12 PM
    Yahoo Sports

Only a few weeks ago, Jadeveon Clowney was known as the most feared pass rusher in college football. He made highlights with his hits and headlines with his comments about how he saw worry in quarterbacks' eyes.

Now he's stirring up a more subtle concern: Is he no longer a surefire top pick in a 2014 NFL draft that looks to be heavy on QBs?

The South Carolina defensive end has had a sporadic season, with illnesses, a foot ailment, and a rib injury that sidelined him last week against Kentucky. His conditioning and his commitment have been questioned in a way that's new for a pro prospect who was assumed to be destined for the top of the draft board next year.

"I'd be scared to death to take him if I had a top-10 pick," one NFL personnel executive told Yahoo Sports.

The issue is not talent. The source, who asked not to be named, said Clowney was one of the best collegiate talents he'd ever seen. Yet he has "major concerns" about consistency.

That was hinted at in comments made by South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier after last weekend's game. Spurrier assumed his star defender would play until just before kickoff. It was then that Clowney said he was not ready to go.

"If he wants to play, we'll welcome him to come play for the team if he wants to," Spurrier said. "If he doesn't want to play, he doesn't have to." Spurrier clarified his comments Tuesday, saying Clowney's rib injury was "diagnosed later, and obviously we all handled it poorly."

The suggestion that Clowney "doesn't want to play" may bring extra scrutiny from NFL front offices. It's possible Clowney is protecting his future earnings by being cautious with his health – something that is understandable considering how much money is on the line – yet work ethic is something NFL executives will be gauging between the end of the college football season and the draft.

For now, doubts about Clowney are still in the minority. One NFL personnel executive told USA Today that "no one will care" about Clowney's issues this season. And another NFL scout told Yahoo Sports that Clowney "looks like a pretty damn good college player to me."

Clowney will in all likelihood be a superlative NFL combine participant. He says he ran a 4.3 40-yard dash over the summer, which is incredible for a pass rusher. Even in his less commanding performances this season, he has exploded into the backfield on most downs with both his speed and strength. Offenses purposefully throw and run away from him, even though Clowney has lined up on both sides of the line and at nose tackle. We haven't seen the sacks or forced fumbles many expected heading into the season, but to say he's a factor on most plays is an understatement. He is as much of a disruptive force as Ndamukong Suh – a second-overall pick – was at Nebraska. Suh has had his issues both on and off the field, yet few if any believe the Detroit Lions made a mistake drafting him so high.

So although there are growing concerns about Clowney's future as a pro, the biggest fear may still be the fear of passing on him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast