View Poll Results: Which of the following best describes your view of Clowney?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's the best player in the draft, and the Rams should select him at #2.

3 8.33%
  • He's the best player in the draft, and the Rams should select him if they can't trade the #2 pick.

7 19.44%
  • He's the best player in the draft, but the Rams should pass on him due to lack of need.

5 13.89%
  • He is a great prospect, but not clearly the best. The Rams should trade the #2 or pick Matthews.

15 41.67%
  • Jake Matthews is a better prospect, and fits a need. Trade or Matthews.

3 8.33%
  • Clowney is simply overrated. I would not consider him with any pick in the Top 10.

2 5.56%
  • I don't feel I can decide before the Combine and Pro Days.

1 2.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The Jadeveon Clowney Poll

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The Jadeveon Clowney Poll

Clowney has been, and likely will continue to be, a hotly debated topic on this board.

Let's see what people think...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: The Jadeveon Clowney Poll

He's a talented kid. Clearly the most talented 4-3 DE prospect in the draft. But his is not a position of need, and there is an equally talented kid on the other side of the ball, at OT, that does play a position of need.

I know lots of people are enamored with the clip from last year's Michigan game that ESPN keeps playing over and over, but the kid just has too many questions to overcome the fact that we don't need a DE right now. He got to the QB exactly once in SC's last 10 games. I just think a luxury pick, if a team were to make it, would have better production.
    RealRam and Rammed like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

punahou is offline Registered User

On the flip side of motivational and character concerns for Clowney, Fischer has had lots of success in taking very talented players and having them produce in his system. The current Rams roster not withstanding, but even more so was with----

Albert Haynsworth, who couldnt even put a game jersey on once he left Fischer.

Its certainly an intriguing pick that I guess i wouldnt mind---- as long as we a get #1 WR out of it later =)

Also, at this point I am thinking Clowney will not even participate in the combine-- he has everything to lose
    there, much like Manti Teo.
    Last edited by punahou; -01-03-2014 at 12:52 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Also, at this point I am thinking Clowney will not even participate in the combine-- he has everything to lose there, much like Manti Teo.
    Yeah, I'm thinking he ultimately has the surgery to fix the bone spur issue in his foot. His agent, Bus Cook, kind of left the door open for the surgery with some recent comments...

"I think for the moment he's probably going to be OK," Cook said. "... I think once he gets into the rigors of training and stuff and really gets going, if it starts bothering and irritating him and he thinks, 'Hey, I've got to take this time off,' then at that point in time we'll address that issue."
    I would not be surprised if, in the lead up to the Combine, we hear about how the spurs are painful enough in training for Clowney to have them cleaned out, which just happens to prevent him from participating in the Combine testing.

I could be way off, but I wouldn't be shocked if it went down like this. You're right in that he has more to lose with a weak performance than he does to gain by a strong one, and coming off of a statistically down season, they may eventually decide to just hold out for his Pro Day.
    HUbison likes this.

Randart is offline Registered User

I went for the concensus in silver at number 4 choice as I am not a Clowney fan at all. If we were to chose him over a OT I would be hugely disappointed in our staff for the first time since this regime took over.
    citr92 likes this.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Though i voted to select him, the fact is, I know they will trade down rather than do that, with either the Bucs or Atlanta being the likely partner. So basically I am saying he is the best player , but that I prefer the three or four starting players I can add with the picks I get in the trade.

Three or four guys, including Matthews, who is as sure a get as any one, even Clowney, is a far better bet to help the Rams long term, as well as immediately..

The other two or three players the Rams get for that pick this year and next, Make dealing a real bonanza for Les Snead and Jeff Fisher. Has anyone ever had two first round picks THREE straight years?

There is no one player, other than a franchise QB if I have some need, that I wouldn't take such a deal over drafting that one guy, especially like this when there is no need at all for the player that falls to you.
    Fortuninerhater and Randart like this.
    Barry Waller

citr92 is offline Registered User

overrated imo

but i wouldn't take him especially since the rams clearly do not have a need on the DL right now

other positions have glaring issues that need to be addressed
    Randart likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    Though i voted to select him, the fact is, I know they will trade down rather than do that, with either the Bucs or Atlanta being the likely partner. So basically I am saying he is the best player , but that I prefer the three or four starting players I can add with the picks I get in the trade.

Three or four guys, including Matthews, who is as sure a get as any one, even Clowney, is a far better bet to help the Rams long term, as well as immediately..

The other two or three players the Rams get for that pick this year and next, Make dealing a real bonanza for Les Snead and Jeff Fisher. Has anyone ever had two first round picks THREE straight years?

There is no one player, other than a franchise QB if I have some need, that I wouldn't take such a deal over drafting that one guy, especially like this when there is no need at all for the player that falls to you.

What he said......

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Very talented player at a highly rated position. Not on the Rams radar screen if I had to guess. We need to hope a team such as Atlanta, Tampa or even Minnesota despite their need for a QB will make a trade with us. I'm sure he will prove his worth at the Combine and get teams excited about his skills. Teams will hope they are acquiring the next Robert Quinn.

Go Rams!
    Randart likes this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    He's a talented kid. Clearly the most talented 4-3 DE prospect in the draft. But his is not a position of need, and there is an equally talented kid on the other side of the ball, at OT, that does play a position of need.
    Agreed. The injury to Long really forces the Ram's hand here. Not to say the Rams wouldn't of drafted an OT either way, but Long's injury makes it a fairly obvious pick. If they trade down, they still need to focus on OT with one of their 1st rounders. We need to solidify the line first and foremost.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -01-03-2014 at 06:07 PM.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Clowney is clearly the most talented kid coming out in the draft. I disagree with anyone who thinks we should take an OT at #2 when we can get this kid and draft a damn good tackle at #13...

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    Clowney is clearly the most talented kid coming out in the draft. I disagree with anyone who thinks we should take an OT at #2 when we can get this kid and draft a damn good tackle at #13...
    That's why I put up the poll - so everyone could voice their opinion.

That said, the poll results certainly show that your use of the word "clearly" is subjective, not objective.
    Randart likes this.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    That's why I put up the poll - so everyone could voice their opinion.

That said, the poll results certainly show that your use of the word "clearly" is subjective, not objective.
    Nope just a realist. No reason to draft a Tackle at #2 with so many good ones coming out...

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post

Nope just a realist. No reason to draft a Tackle at #2 with so many good ones coming out...
    So you think your opinions are facts?

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

If we can't trade back i say grab Clowney. I wouldn't mind taking Matthews at #2, but prefer Clowney. If there was a Pace in this draft i'd say grab him, but i don't view Matthews as that truly elite type talent. On the other hand, Clowney is that elite type talent at his position. But like i said, If we did take Matthews i wouldn't hate it, just prefer Clowney at #2. But of course above all us, i hope for a trade down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast