Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Jadeveon Clowney Predicts "Amazing" Numbers at NFL Combine

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Jadeveon Clowney Predicts "Amazing" Numbers at NFL Combine

The 2014 NFL Scouting Combine has its headline attraction. South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney told The State he will participate in all drills next month in Indianapolis.
    "The numbers I am going to put up are going to be amazing," Clowney said.
    Clowney previously said he ran an electronically timed 4.46 40-yard dash, which would have ranked third among running backs and tied for 11th among wide receivers at the 2013 combine. The difference, of course, is Clowney is 6-foot-6 and has a good 70-90 pounds on those skill position players.
    NFL Media analysts Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks each have the Houston Texans taking Clowney with the No. 1 overall pick in their initial mock drafts.
    "Clowney can single-handedly destroy game plans with his speed, quickness, athleticism and power off the edge," Brooks said. "Scouts may question his maturity and work ethic based on a few on- and off-field hiccups, but there is little doubt that he is the top defensive prospect on the board."
    Clowney was also ranked the No. 2 prospect for the draft by NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt, behind Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel.
    If Clowney lives up to the immense expectations and runs anywhere close to a sub-4.5 40, all the suspense of the draft will start with the second pick because the top spot will be locked up.
    Follow Dan Greenspan on Twitter @DanGreenspan.
    I will go on record right now and state that if Clowney can run a 4.46 at the Combine, I will reevaluate my position on the Rams taking him with the second pick in the draft.

I will further go on record and state that I will be very surprised if he runs better than a 4.65 in Indy.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Re: Jadeveon Clowney Predicts "Amazing" Numbers at NFL Combine

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I will go on record right now and state that if Clowney can run a 4.46 at the Combine, I will reevaluate my position on the Rams taking him with the second pick in the draft.

I will further go on record and state that I will be very surprised if he runs better than a 4.65 in Indy.
    I doubt he runs that fast, but if he were to run it anywhere close to that time it would only help the Rams trade possibilities. All they need is for Clowney and one of the QB's to do well at the combine and teams will be fighting each other to trade up

I wonder what the record is for fastest 40 at the Combine (as opposed to Pro Days, where times always seem to improve) for a player 260 lbs or heavier...

Rambos is offline Registered User

I wonder what the record is for fastest 40 at the Combine (as opposed to Pro Days, where times always seem to improve) for a player 260 lbs or heavier...
    Last year Margus Hunt ran a 4.51 and he is 277 lbs. Robert Quinn ran a 4.62.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Whatever it is, prepare for it to be shattered.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Whatever it is, prepare for it to be shattered.
    Like I said, if it is, and he is really as fast as Steven Jackson was coming out of school (as I recall, he ran a 4.45), I would have no choice but to reconsider whether, despite his down year in 2013, he is a special prospect.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I'm sure he'd appreciate that, but it's his strength and quickness, that is most impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I'm sure he'd appreciate that, but it's his strength and quickness, that is most impressive.
    LOL... I'm pretty sure he's entirely indifferent to what I think.

Quite frankly, I'll be impressed if he does the full workout in Indy. Many player at his level pass on the physical tests until their Pro Day. In Clowney's case, if he did all the drills, it would show me that he's in good shape and is trying to maximize the pre-draft process.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

"The numbers I am going to put up are going to be amazing," Clowney said.
    That almost guarantees that the first question I'd ask Clowney in the Combine interview would be, "So what happened to those amazing numbers during the season?"

Clowney's athleticism and talent has never been in doubt for me. I expect him to put up freak numbers because he's an incredibly talented individual. My questions about him are in regard to things that his drills and timed tests aren't going to resolve.
    HUbison, RosieJones and Randart like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That almost guarantees that the first question I'd ask Clowney in the Combine interview would be, "So what happened to those amazing numbers during the season?"

Clowney's athleticism and talent has never been in doubt for me. I expect him to put up freak numbers because he's an incredibly talented individual. My questions about him are in regard to things that his drills and timed tests aren't going to resolve.
    I think it was a combination of him not wanting to get injured and him being double and triple teamed. I think he saw what happened to his teammate Marcus Lattimore last year and he didn't want to put himself in the same position to go through something like that, especially with him knowing he would most likely be a top-3 pick. I also saw teams double and triple teaming him a lot this year, and when he wasn't they usually ran plays in the opposite direction as him. And even if his work ethic was a little bit below par, it's only human nature. Think about if you knew you were going to get a 5 or 10 million dollar bonus at the end of the year, would you still be as committed and gung-ho at work as you should be. I personally know I wouldn't be lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post

I think it was a combination of him not wanting to get injured and him being double and triple teamed. I think he saw what happened to his teammate Marcus Lattimore last year and he didn't want to put himself in the same position to go through something like that, especially with him knowing he would most likely be a top-3 pick. I also saw teams double and triple teaming him a lot this year, and when he wasn't they usually ran plays in the opposite direction as him. And even if his work ethic was a little bit below par, it's only human nature. Think about if you knew you were going to get a 5 or 10 million dollar bonus at the end of the year, would you still be as committed and gung-ho at work as you should be. I personally know I wouldn't be lol
    So will he do the same thing when his rookie contract is ending and he's approaching FA?

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Right, I don't want to rehash a debate that's taken place in multiple threads already. I'm just saying if he's going to come out with predictions about how great his numbers are going to be, then I think it yields the obvious follow-up question about some other numbers that weren't that great at all. It'd be interesting to hear his response to that in interviews with teams. Maybe it'll be touched upon at the media interviews at the Combine.

So will he do the same thing when his rookie contract is ending and he's approaching FA?
    Doing it in college is one thing, doing it in the NFL is completely different. Anyways, if Jeff Fisher could motivate Albert Haynesworth, I'm pretty sure he'll be able to do the same with Clowney

Bald_81 is online now Registered User

I'm more interested in what his 10-yard split will be, but as someone already mentioned Margus Hunt ran 4.51 and Quinn ran 4.62. It is certainly within the realm of possibility that he runs sub 4.5 and if he pulls it off that would be incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Good thing (and bad thing for the Rams) the ***** didn't ask the same question to Aldon Smith or maybe they wouldn't have drafted him so high. And before you bring up injuries, both Clowney and Smith supposedly played through injuries their final year and missed multiple games. I remember watching tapes of Smith after he came out and there was a ton of times he took plays off and/or looked disinterested. He didn't get nearly the same amount of criticism or attention as Clowney is currently, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    Good thing (and bad thing for the Rams) the ***** didn't ask the same question to Aldon Smith or maybe they wouldn't have drafted him so high.
    Or maybe they did ask him and we're satisfied with his answer. Maybe be the Rams ask Clowney and are satisfied with what he has to say.

All I'm saying is that would be my first question - if he's going to start bragging about how great his workout numbers are going to be, I think it's only fair to follow that up by questioning where that incredible talent and newfound motivation was during the season.

Maybe he has a great answer for teams that do ask, I don't know. Unfortunately, I don't get to sit down and ask him, so it's unlikely my concern is resolved.
    Rambos likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast