Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Jadeveon Clowney Predicts "Amazing" Numbers at NFL Combine

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Re: Jadeveon Clowney Predicts "Amazing" Numbers at NFL Combine

Hopefully Clowney puts up "amazing" numbers and the Texans feel they can't pass up his potential.

Then the Rams take the stage and auction off the #2 pick to whichever team desperately needs a franchise QB.

The Brown's two first-round picks look enticing...

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Right, I don't want to rehash a debate that's taken place in multiple threads already. I'm just saying if he's going to come out with predictions about how great his numbers are going to be, then I think it yields the obvious follow-up question about some other numbers that weren't that great at all. It'd be interesting to hear his response to that in interviews with teams. Maybe it'll be touched upon at the media interviews at the Combine.
    What if you did get an opportunity to ask him and he gave you the same answer I gave you a couple of weeks ago? Would that suffice or would you still have unresolved issues?

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

I just think it's funny most fans are the ones questioning Clowney. Probably close to 95% of the professionals all have Clowney entrenched as a top 2 prospect. He isn't there because he has many questions, if any.. The guys a freak and everyone see's the insane potential he has.

THE DREAM TEAM

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I just think it's funny most fans are the ones questioning Clowney. Probably close to 95% of the professionals all have Clowney entrenched as a top 2 prospect. He isn't there because he has many questions, if any.. The guys a freak and everyone see's the insane potential he has.
    'course there's potential

that's not what everyone's questioning lol

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    'course there's potential

that's not what everyone's questioning lol
    I didn't say it was....

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    What if you did get an opportunity to ask him and he gave you the same answer I gave you a couple of weeks ago? Would that suffice or would you still have unresolved issues?
    Honestly, I really don't know.

I think part of his answer would have to be an acknowledgement that he took plays off or did not play up to his potential, because I think that's obvious based on the games I've watched and that self-awareness and admission would go a long way.

But he'd need to convince me that that's something I wouldn't be getting in the pros if I drafted him, and I'm just not sure how he'd go about doing that.

I just think it's funny most fans are the ones questioning Clowney. Probably close to 95% of the professionals all have Clowney entrenched as a top 2 prospect.
    You're assuming that those with questions about Clowney can't also have him ranked that high, and that's wrong.

For instance, he's among the Top 3 on my overall, non-team specific draft board because of his physical talent. The questions I have about him simply prevent me from viewing him as this on-a-pedestal, once in a generation prospect that you absolutely must take over any other prospect when given the opportunity.
    HUbison and Torry Holt like this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

There are two responses to this:

1. Nobody is questioning that he has talent. The debate is over (a) whether his talent is truly exceptional ("once in a generation"), and (b) whether the Rams can afford to use a premium draft pick on a DE.

2. Just because "the professionals" have him ranked in the top 2 now does not mean his status is carved in stone. Last year at this time, the vast majority of mock drafts had Geno Smith as a top 5 pick. We all know what happened in the end.

punahou is offline Registered User

These are the players that come to mind for me--

Jevon Kearse ran a 4.4 something 40 Proday and 4.5 at combine.
    Bruce Irvin was 4.5 combine

Im seeing that Clowney is listed as 6'6 249lbs over at NFL Combine Results.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Honestly, I really don't know.

I think part of his answer would have to be an acknowledgement that he took plays off or did not play up to his potential, because I think that's obvious based on the games I've watched and that self-awareness and admission would go a long way.

But he'd need to convince me that that's something I wouldn't be getting in the pros if I drafted him, and I'm just not sure how he'd go about doing that.

You're assuming that those with questions about Clowney can't also have him ranked that high, and that's wrong.

For instance, he's among the Top 3 on my overall, non-team specific draft board because of his physical talent. The questions I have about him simply prevent me from viewing him as this on-a-pedestal, once in a generation prospect that you absolutely must take over any other prospect when given the opportunity.
    If we had a direr need for a DE how would his inconsistent effort weigh on the decision? If he had put up great numbers this year and did not try and just get to the draft as it appears, would you draft him then? Or is the bottom line for you we just have bigger needs and we just are not in a position at this time to draft BPA?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Im seeing that Clowney is listed as 6'6 249lbs over at NFL Combine Results.
    If that holds up as accurate, that's going to be almost 50 pounds less than what Mario Williams weighed as a prospect, for those that like to draw that comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    If we had a direr need for a DE how would his inconsistent effort weigh on the decision? If he had put up great numbers this year and did not try and just get to the draft as it appears, would you draft him then? Or is the bottom line for you we just have bigger needs and we just are not in a position at this time to draft BPA?
    I'd likely be more inclined to consider him if the Rams had a need at the position or if I didn't have concerns about his work ethic or motivation, sure. But that's not the reality we find ourselves in.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-21-2014 at 01:51 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I'd likely be more inclined to consider him if the Rams had a need at the position or if I didn't have concerns about his work ethic or motivation, sure. But that's not the reality we find ourselves in.
    I'm just trying to get a feel for your evaluation of him. I'm just getting up to speed on what went on with him this year.

The thing that I read that bothers me the most is he says he had all these nagging injures. Now I'm not sure if he was faking these injures so he would not have to play, which is bad. If he really had all these injuries then that's not good. Not sure I want a guy that's always nicked up. I'm more interested to hear how his interviews go more so then his numbers. Are GMs seeing a lot of red flags after they do their homework about this kid and if they do he should slip some.

As far as drafting him, I'm not sure what the Rams should do. Commonsense tells me O line and safety. But there is this part of me that looks at the NFC West as a defensive division. We are middle of the pack while the other three teams are top five in the league. I'm still debating weather we could become an elite defense this year by adding a Clowney and Ha Ha or Barr and Dennard.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-21-2014 at 02:19 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

That is truly intriguing that 30 of the 32 NFL GMs have him ranked as a top 2 prospect. But it's even more intriguing that all 32 GMs have turned over their team's big boards to the public.

Unless of course you were referring to every Joe with a keyboard and a mock draft as a professional.

But, seriously, as Nick said, your assumption that having questions about a prospect means that he can't also be a top prospect is in error. Clowney is obviously talented, but any team willing to use that top pick on him would be wise to ask these same questions.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    That is truly intriguing that 30 of the 32 NFL GMs have him ranked as a top 2 prospect. But it's even more intriguing that all 32 GMs have turned over their team's big boards to the public.

Unless of course you were referring to every Joe with a keyboard and a mock draft as a professional.

But, seriously, as Nick said, your assumption that having questions about a prospect means that he can't also be a top prospect is in error. Clowney is obviously talented, but any team willing to use that top pick on him would be wise to ask these same questions.

and even then, is there much difference between the real GMS and the fan Gms? aside from the 5 million a year income disparity? Probabaly not.

The industry has been largely centered around cronyism and nepitism. Im more than certain many of us here could do what these guys are doing and yield the same results.
    Torry Holt likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

and even then, is there much difference between the real GMS and the fan Gms? aside from the 5 million a year income disparity? Probabaly not.

The industry has been largely centered around cronyism and nepitism. Im more than certain many of us here could do what these guys are doing and yield the same results.
    "We agree!"

Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

and even then, is there much difference between the real GMS and the fan Gms?
    Umm.....yes! There is a huge difference!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast