Thread: Jake Locker

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Jake Locker

The supposed #1 pick in next years draft went 4-20 and 71 yards against Nebraska.

On first and second downs - he put up an O-fer, unable to complete a single pass.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Jake Locker

Yep, Jake has certainly not been lighting it up. He hasn't been successful at carrying his team to many victories and seems to be regressing as opposed to progressing. He still has time to turn it around, but his star is definitely not on the rise.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Maybe he will fall to the third round and we can draft our future franchise back-up quarterback.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

I agree, last year before the draft alot of people were hyped on Jake Locker. Never really liked him, I say Ryan Mallet and Kellen Moore are vastly superior QB's. Then again we are only 3 weeks into college football so lets see what he can do for the rest of the year,

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

It's certainly not a performance that Locker is going to want to include in his highlight film, but I wouldn't overrate it in terms of his stock just yet. Despite going 11/32 and throwing two picks against the #6 team in the country in his final year in college, Jay Cutler was still the 11th overall pick and was considered a very good quarterback prospect in 2006. Locker does not have much talent around him, but he absolutely needs to play better than this if he wants to contend for that top spot in the draft.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    I agree, last year before the draft alot of people were hyped on Jake Locker. Never really liked him, I say Ryan Mallet and Kellen Moore are vastly superior QB's. Then again we are only 3 weeks into college football so lets see what he can do for the rest of the year,
    I love Ryan he has "all the tools" when it comes to projecting an NFL QB, but we'll see how he looks this week against grade A talent. Now on the other hand I'm not sold on Moore just yet (due in part to who Boise St. has played or hasn't played LOL) but that may change this week after the Oregon St. game. He certainly could be a pleasant suprise for some NFL team but we'll see....
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It's certainly not a performance that Locker is going to want to include in his highlight film, but I wouldn't overrate it in terms of his stock just yet. Despite going 11/32 and throwing two picks against the #6 team in the country in his final year in college, Jay Cutler was still the 11th overall pick and was considered a very good quarterback prospect in 2006. Locker does not have much talent around him, but he absolutely needs to play better than this if he wants to contend for that top spot in the draft.
    Good point (this is why you are a mod sir), we all know Locker will go in the first round of the draft, however if he continues to struggle he may fall late, but it is early in the season & his team is HORRIBLE, I feel sorry for the guy, knowing that his team would be this bad I"m suprised he came back to school, but on the other hand that may show his character if he wanted to "finish the job" w/ the guys he's been to war w/ the past couple of years. We'll see.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

If this upcoming draft of QB's was in the same draft as last years what would be the order?

Would we have taken Locker because of Sam's shoulder? Is Locker better than Clausen?

1. Bradford
    2. Locker
    3. Mallet
    4. Clausen..

Is that correct? What about Terrelle Pryor?

Thanks Guys!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    If this upcoming draft of QB's was in the same draft as last years what would be the order?

Would we have taken Locker because of Sam's shoulder? Is Locker better than Clausen?

1. Bradford
    2. Locker
    3. Mallet
    4. Clausen..

Is that correct? What about Terrelle Pryor?

Thanks Guys!
    There are 2-3 quotes out there that indicate Locker would have been the first quarterback selected in the draft, had he come out last year. Some disagree, but I think the evidence is there. Reportedly NFL people love Locker and have compared him to John Elway. Perhaps a lofty comparison, but people tend to shoot for the ceiling when making comparisons (ie. Bradford to Troy Aikman/Peyton Manning).

I would probably put Bradford above Mallet, if only because I think there are accuracy questions regarding Mallet and I think that's one of the most important attributes of a quarterback. Mallet has the prototypical size and rocket arm, but his accuracy isn't as good and there are some rumblings about intangibles for whatever that's worth.

There are some people who would argue Clausen was the better QB prospect than Bradford, but I think he's appropriately ranked in the 3-4 range. I like his experience in a pro-style system and I think he's fairly good at most everything but perhaps not great at anything. Accuracy isn't great, arm strength isn't great, decision making isn't great, etc.

I'm not yet convinced that Terrelle Pryor will be a legitimate NFL quarterback, to be honest with you. But it'll depend on the kind of progress he makes this year (and maybe next, if he hangs around tOSU, which he should). If you want to add a fifth name to that list somewhere, I'd be talking about Andrew Luck more than I would Pryor, though it's unlikely Luck enters the 2011 draft as a redshirt sophomore.

Anyways, speaking of Locker's game against Nebraska, here's what Mel Kiper had to say about it in his Stock Watch write-up....

Although it was expected to be a significant challenge for Washington quarterback Jake Locker to go up against a Nebraska defense that not only is able to generate heavy pass rush but also has a cornerback tandem that is second-to-none, I never envisioned what we saw on Saturday.

Even if you try to avoid the numbers and concentrate purely on the talent, it's impossible to look past a guy completing just 4 of 20 passes with two interceptions. What we witnessed on Saturday are the same issues he's had throughout his college career. The first is lack of top accuracy. Having a rifle arm means little if you can't put the football where it needs to be consistently. Granted, there were situations on Saturday when the protection broke down and Locker's best option was simply to get rid of the ball. But there were other occasions when he had ample time and was just off the mark.

The second major issue is lack of top game-management skills. The first of Locker's two interceptions occurred when he had plenty of time in the pocket and decided to throw to a wideout who was blanketed by multiple defenders. The second one took place when he stared down a receiver and was picked off for a touchdown. The old saying mostly holds true in this case: You are never as bad as your worst game or as great as your best game. But after the way Locker performed on Saturday -- even against corners destined for good NFL careers -- it's only natural to wonder whether his great physical prowess and tremendous upside are ever going to add up to a topflight, elite signal caller in the NFL. Additionally, in this era of force-feeding rookie QBs -- both Sam Bradford and Jimmy Clausen will start in Week 3 -- will a developmental-type prospect with enormous potential like Locker be afforded the opportunity to hone his craft and be eased into the pro game? He'll improve, but any team evaluating him for a possible high pick is forced to ask this question. And it's a significant one.
    Last edited by Nick; -09-23-2010 at 01:55 AM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Teams have a history of over drafting cannon arms but IMO Locker isn't worth even a 3rd round pick.

Judaxi is offline Registered User

I don't see how people thought Locker was a better QB than Bradford. He has yet to complete over 59 percent of his passes, never thrown for more than 25 tds, and had double digit INTs last year.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I prefer Bradford over any of them.

Terrelle Pryor looks a lot more improved this year.

Locker is overrated, but he is a good QB on a terrible team.

Mallet is inaccurate and lacks good decision making, and the only reason he is mentioned constantly is because of his arm strength and size.