View Poll Results: Jake Locker or Ryan Mallett ?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jake Locker

25 80.65%
  • Ryan Mallett

6 19.35%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Jake Locker or Ryan Mallett in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    BUT he's not a "winner" *rolls eyes*. Same reason people don't want Clausen, supposably.
    That's a good point. I'll admit that I've made an issue of Clausen's record, but I really believe he's had much more to work with than Locker. Still, I would like to see Locker lead Washington to some more victories, although the Huskies have been in a complete state of disarray for several years, starting well before Locker arrived. They did make some significant strides last year, going from 0-12 in 2008 (with Locker for 3 1/2 games), to 5-7 (with Locker the entire season). I expect more wins as Locker improves. We'll see.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    Your still in denial my friend. You gotta face the facts. Hang in there....
    I'm not saying they'll go to the Super Bowl, but I see no reason why, with some good moves, further development of the young players, and a healthier season, the Rams can't be a .500 team next year.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I would lean towards Locker, but obviously both of these guys could develop quite a bit this season so it's really tough to tell at this point. I do like Locker's athleticism though.

Quote Originally Posted by sdobbers View Post
    Not taking a franchise QB just does not seem like a smart idea.
    Your still taking a risk with Suh...you still have to HOPE that he becomes a player you can build around. Just because he's dominant in college FB does NOT mean he will be that dominant in NFL. Could he be? Yes, but lets wait till he at least plays a down in the NFL before we say that we're going to build our Defense around him because for all we know, he could end up being a bust too.
    Just like you also have to hope any QB the Rams draft also becomes a franchise QB?

It seems you're criticizing Suh fans for thinking the guy is going to be good, or even assuming the guy is going to be a starter, yet you talk about passing up a franchise QB as if any of these guys are guaranteed to turn into one.

None of them are sure things, including the supposed franchise QBs. Your criticism is being applied almost exclusively to Suh, when in fact it pretty much applies to all rookies.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-20-2010 at 06:47 PM.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm not saying they'll go to the Super Bowl, but I see no reason why, with some good moves, further development of the young players, and a healthier season, the Rams can't be a .500 team next year.
    Believe me I'm a die hard also. But last year I predicted 3 wins. Didn't happen. I'll stay with three wins again next year.....

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

To answer the original question I would say it is too early to tell. With an entire season ahead of us to watch Mallet and Locker... why pick now?

I would agree that many people are living in denial but AV isn't one of them.

We were abnormally plagued by injuries this year. If we don't change one player but stay healthier we could win a couple more games next year.

90% of our players are you young and developing. Most seemed to get better as the season went on. If we don't change one player but this trend continues we could win a couple more games this next year.

Plus we still have free agency and the draft.

I won't guarantee a 500 season but I won't condemn us to a 3 win season.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    So we're going to be faceless for the future another whole season? Sounds smart.
    Who says our face of the franchise has to be QB? IMO, we already have some candidates, Jackson, Laurinaitis, Long, O.J Atogwe...

Add Suh in there and we have some dominant faces.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm not willing to presume that the Rams will again be in the Top 5 selections next year.
    How about the top 10?

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Is Jackson not the face of the franchise? Jackson IS the rams..
    Suh's athletic ability, reasonable durability, attitude, talent, nastiness, and work ethic playing at his position greatly reduces his chances of being a bust as opposed to a QB playing in the NFL. Emphasis on attitude and work ethic. These two traits make average athletes, amazing players. John Randle was an average athlete but his crazy work ethic and tenacity made him a freak as a 6'0 DT. Give me a guy with a great work ethic and average ability over a lazy, douche with poor work ethic any day of the week/ Suh is the safest pick at number 1 IMO. He is the best pick at 1 IMO. He also has that rare awareness you just don't see on the line and rarely gets lost in a lineman's chest and gets his hands up to bat down balls which is soooo underrated in lineman. The guy is just good...don't overthink it and simply pick him come april 22nd.

The Rams should get 6 wins next year with little injuries. Period. This draft should upgrade our team significantly. And we will have starters back and former rookies with more exp.

And i agree McCoy over Suh makes little sense to me...

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

There are three potential top 15 QBs next year in Jake Locker, Ryan Mallett, and Andrew Luck. Sure, it would be nice if we knew that everyone of them would be available next year when we pick making our decision this year much easier. But that's why the golden rule of the NFL draft is that if you don't have a franchise QB, you don't pass on one. But are Clausen and Bradford franchise QBs? To be honest, if it weren't for the injury to Bradford I believe he would be the top QB on the Rams board.

The one reason I just can't see the Rams justifying taking a QB #1 overall is this: Has anyone come out and said either Clausen or Bradford is the best player in the draft? No. Now, Suh has been receiving a lot of hype, but we have had guys like Peter King and Jay Glazer come out and say that talking to multiple scouts and some GMs that Suh would most likely be a top many teams boards. I have not once read that one of the two QBs are the best player in the draft. Are we picking first? Yes. Take the best player available. Forget positional value -- making a selection based on that would be a colossal mistake.

What troubles me is the interview Jim Thomas had with Bernie today where he said that John Shaw and Chip Rosenbloom were advocates for Mark Sanchez last year (and Shaw wanted Ryan the year before). I wanted Sanchez last year, but that was last year. I just hope Billy isn't influenced by anything having to do with the potential sale of the team or input from the owners. My read on this is that with a new QB drafted, the Rams suddenly becomes even more attractable and could gain more potential suitors. We just need to stick to the plan and if Billy hasn't been feeding us crap the past two years, he will take the BPA when April rolls around.

EDIT: I should also mention that I would select Gerald McCoy over the two QBs if it came down to it. Suh, McCoy, and Bryant are all selections I would make at #1 before I would even think about taking a QB.
    Last edited by Bald_81; -01-20-2010 at 11:55 PM.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post

What troubles me is the interview Jim Thomas had with Bernie today where he said that John Shaw and Chip Rosenbloom were advocates for Mark Sanchez last year (and Shaw wanted Ryan the year before). I just hope Billy isn't influenced by anything have to do with the potential sale of the team or input from the owners. My read on this is that with a new QB drafted, the Rams suddenly becomes even more attractable and could gain more potential suitors. We just need to stick to the plan and if Billy hasn't been feeding us crap the past two years, he will take the BPA when April rolls around.
    O/T

You know, stuff like this doesn't exactly disabuse me of the notion that the sooner the Rams are sold, the better.

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

Neither. They're both Tebow wannabe's.

sdobbers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Just like you also have to hope any QB the Rams draft also becomes a franchise QB?
    Yes exactly, just like I also have to hope the QB becomes a franchise QB. I'm not saying that Clausen/Bradford are unbustable picks, just like I'm not saying Suh is an unbustable pick. I am just saying that if there is someone who the Rams FO feels is a franchise QB, they have priority over a DT. Is it possible that they will bust? Yes, but it's also possibly the DT we pick is going to bust. There's a risk involved with every rookie.

It seems you're criticizing Suh fans for thinking the guy is going to be good, or even assuming the guy is going to be a starter, yet you talk about passing up a franchise QB as if any of these guys are guaranteed to turn into one.
    No I am criticizing Suh fans for taking the Suh Hype to extreme proportions, it's really getting out of hand. I completely agree that he is an amazing college football player, how he is in the NFL still waits to be seen. If he's as good as people are projecting, then yes he'll be a HOFer.

There's a risk in taking a QB #1 overall, and there's a risk of taking a DT #1 overall. Both have a good chance of being busts.

None of them are sure things, including the supposed franchise QBs. Your criticism is being applied almost exclusively to Suh, when in fact it pretty much applies to all rookies.
    You are absolutely right. I completely agree that it applies to all rookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Suh's athletic ability, reasonable durability, attitude, talent, nastiness, and work ethic playing at his position greatly reduces his chances of being a bust as opposed to a QB playing in the NFL. Emphasis on attitude and work ethic. These two traits make average athletes, amazing players. John Randle was an average athlete but his crazy work ethic and tenacity made him a freak as a 6'0 DT. Give me a guy with a great work ethic and average ability over a lazy, douche with poor work ethic any day of the week/ Suh is the safest pick at number 1 IMO.
    I agree that attitude and work ethic are very important. Both Suh and Clausen have an amazing work ethic; I remember reading about how Clausen flew his receivers out to his place just so they could work on their timing. Yes Suh has a good attitude; some people are bothered by Clausen's attitude, however, he is liked by all his teammates, and they consider him a good leader.

I think that if the Rams FO sees Clausen/Bradford as a potential franchise QB they should take him and not be distracted by Suh. However, if the FO doesn't think either one is a franchise QB then by all means draft Suh!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

No I am criticizing Suh fans for taking the Suh Hype to extreme proportions
    Not entirely. In two separate replies today (1, 2), you seemed to take issue with posts that only went so far as to say that Suh would be a starter this season. You then continued to speak against hyperbole that wasn't present in either of the posts you quoted.

You're right in that you're not running around saying Clausen or Bradford are unbustable, but you're not exactly making it a point to say they're just as risky either. When you make statements like, "Not taking a franchise QB just does not seem like a smart idea," the clear implication you're making is that there's a franchise QB to be had. Just like with Suh, we don't know for sure how any of these guys will translate. If it's premature to even call Suh a starter in the NFL, how is not also premature to call either Clausen or Bradford franchise quarterbacks?

Major30 is offline Registered User

A rookie QB is not going to save us next year. We gotta pick the best available player and that player is clearly Suh. Look at the Jets. Sanchez is a good rookie, but that team is where they are now because they have the number one Defense and the number one rushing attack. That affords them the luxury of playing a rookie. If Sanchez was on our team this year, he would of taken the same beating our other QBs have and we would still be picking top 3 next year.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    What troubles me is the interview Jim Thomas had with Bernie today where he said that John Shaw and Chip Rosenbloom were advocates for Mark Sanchez last year (and Shaw wanted Ryan the year before). I wanted Sanchez last year, but that was last year. I just hope Billy isn't influenced by anything having to do with the potential sale of the team or input from the owners. My read on this is that with a new QB drafted, the Rams suddenly becomes even more attractable and could gain more potential suitors. We just need to stick to the plan and if Billy hasn't been feeding us crap the past two years, he will take the BPA when April rolls around.

John Shaw doesnt have a say in who we draft anymore, its pretty much all Spags and Devaney. Rosenbloom has no say in it whatsoever. The owners hired Spags and Devaney to be the ones to evaluate and draft players, so thats what they will do.

It shouldnt trouble you that Shaw and Rosenbloom wanted Sanchez, because the fact we didnt get him shows that they dont actually have much say in the matter at all

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast