Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Jake Matthews: Boring, but Elite

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Jake Matthews: Boring, but Elite

I think the biggest reason that some fans are luke warm on the notion of taking Texas A&M OT Jake Matthews is that offensive linemen are boring. They don't make highlight plays. They don't have exciting stat lines. In fact, in a perfect game, an OL's name might never be mentioned.

But, make no mistake, Jake Matthews is an elite prospect at one of the most important positions in football.

Let's talk about what he's not.

He's not a workout-warrior former TE who will climb the draft boards based upon the Combine and workouts (i.e. Jason Smith). He's not a guy who "really looks the part" and has "big upside" that can be reached with some coaching and seasoning (i.e. Alex Barron).

He's the total package. Prototypical size. Great technique (due, I'm certain, in large par to his HOF father, Bruce). Success against top NCAA competition. Durability - he has started 45 consecutive games. Versatility - he's played both RT and LT.

If the Rams select him, he'd give the team a great set of OT bookends in the short run ("The Two Jakes"), and a franchise LT in the long run.

So give me a boring pick like Jake Matthews any day.

Orlando Pace was boring too.
    r8rh8rmike and Mikey like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Jake Matthews: Boring, but Elite

I have already made my game day sign. The Two Jakes. This would be unreal if we ended up getting Jake Matthews. We finally got to see what Sam can do with time and a solid running game. We have seen what Boudreau can do with cast offs like Williams, Joe Barksdale ect. Give him elite talent and the sky is the limit.

The game is still won and lost in the trenches. Just look at last weeks game, the Cards won up front on both lines and won the game.

Jake Matthews
    Michael Brockers
    Alec Ogletree
    Janoris Jenkins
    Stedman Bailey
    Zac Stacy

You can go to jail for stealing like this is some countries.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I agree with Jake Mathews being elite. In fact prior to the draft of 2013 I recall that Jake Mathews was thought to be a better talent than Luke Joekel, his Texas A&M teammate. Joekel was considered by some the #1 talent in the 2013 draft despite being selected 2nd overall.

I hope we can snatch Jake by sliding a few spots down and still grab a few extra picks. I'm glad free agency happens before the draft so we can hopefully sign Saffold before he realizes that he's not likely to play OT for the Rams anytime soon, unless there are injuries. Rambos you are correct the game is won and lost in the trenches. We will still need to address the interior of the line later in the draft.

Go Rams!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Ding! Ding! Ding!

Mikey is offline Registered User

Winner winner pancake dinner!

citr92 is offline Registered User

maybe boring until you watch them own the D-line lol

Randart is offline Registered User

Any fan who loves to see their starting QB upright would love this pick! If we land Jake and keep Roger to be a guard and back up at OT we win the lottery. Hope the Skins stay off track even after the QB change.
    We need that number 2 pick or number 1 would do the trick. Not sure we should trade down, would love more picks but would hate to miss out on Jake. Now if our other pick is top ten and we trade that one down I would love it. Great to see so many of you guys agreeing with this possiable pick. Going to be fun to see how this all plays out...

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Great post! I was actually disappointed last year when Jake Matthews decided to return to school, I was hoping the Rams would draft him

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Coming from an Aggie, Jake Matthews is certainly better than Joeckel. He needs to be a Ram next year.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

He's the total package. Prototypical size. Great technique (due, I'm certain, in large par to his HOF father, Bruce). Success against top NCAA competition. Durability - he has started 45 consecutive games. Versatility - he's played both RT and LT.

If the Rams select him, he'd give the team a great set of OT bookends in the short run ("The Two Jakes"), and a franchise LT in the long run.
    Nothing boring about about the above. In fact I'll be disappointed if we don't spend another early pick on a big nasty guard. I'll bet Sam B. wouldn't be bored either.

If we drafted a couple of linemen (starting with Jake M.), a slew of dbs, and a good linebacker, I'd be a happy camper. Sure there is room on our roster for another good wr, but it isn't IMO as high a priority as O-line and secondary.

I am just hoping that when the Rams turn to pick comes up in each round , that at least one of the BPAs will be in our specific areas of need.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Would love Matthews in horns.

It's about time the Rams solidify the Oline once and for all.

Yeah, its boring, but its also boring when we can't run block and defenses endlessly sack our QB.

Everyone knows the Oline is the wheels, you can't go anywhere unless they're moving.

Besides, we have another pick in the 1st, we can use that one for a stats guy.