general counsel is offline Registered User

jamaal anderson to enter draft

espn reports that sec sack leader, jamaal anderson, de from arkansas, is entering the nfl draft. nick, where should he be drafted?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Re: jamaal anderson to enter draft

If he's the sack leader in the SEC, then he should get drafted on the first day

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

He's a first rounder, definitely. The guy is a monster; at 6'6" and 270-280 pounds, he has the size of a Julius Peppers/Mario Williams. Plus the fact that he was very productive in a tough conference works in his favor as well. He would have been one of the top DE prospects next year, and I think he could definitely be an option for us @ 13. I would probably rank him as my second DE right now, because I've not been high on Moses that much and I think a big guy like Anderson who is a monster pass rusher but also good against the run is something the Rams should really look at more than someone who is a bit more one dimensional.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

thanks nick, that is outstanding news. he had three sacks against wisconsin in the bowl game, i trust that none of those were against thomas, a guy i really hope the cardinals dont get, since he is exactly what they need.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Country Guest

DE Jamaal Anderson would be a great pick at the 13 spot. He has the size and pass rush ability to be a difference maker opposite of Little.

If the Rams do go DE in the 1st round should they still go with a DE free agent like Justin Smith?

RedArcher7 Guest

Free agency is before the draft. Smith will be (re)signed before the draft no doubt, but if we don't get Smith or Charles Grant we should try real hard for Gaines Adams or wait and see if there's and good tackles or any good Jamaal Andersons left.

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    If the Rams do go DE in the 1st round should they still go with a DE free agent like Justin Smith?
    Well as RedArcher said, free agency comes before the draft, so your question is backwards. The real question is if the Rams sign a veteran starting-caliber end in free agency, do they still draft a DE in round one? And I would have to say that unless the defensive end signed is a marginal starter or not a long term solution, it would be unlikely we'd address the position in both free agency and high in the draft. Signing a Justin Smith or Charles Grant probably means the Rams are looking elsewhere in round one, though you can never say never.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Given the weakness of the DE class, I'd think the Rams have to make signing a free agent is a priority. There is too much uncertainty with who will be available to them in the draft. The problem with that, of course, is that we'd probably like to sign a veteran DT or two as well since drafting them hasn't really worked out either.

cross gaines adams off your list. He wont be anywhere near around when the rams pick at 13. Unless we trade up substantially, we have no shot at him.

It appears to me that jamaal anderson is the next best draft option, better than the georgia guys (both moses and johnson). I wouldnt bet on anderson being available at 13 when we pick.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

What if the Rams were to sign a second tier FA DE and then drafted Anderson?

Honestly, I never get all that excited when your starters at a position consist of a second year player and a rookie.

Especially, when were talking about a unit that was a weakness in the '06 campain.

I really like this guy. In fact I didn't expect him to go pro this year, but being an LSU fan I appreciate it.

mr mofo, not following you on the de analysis. Leonard Little is one of the starters, and he is neither a second year player nor a rookie. However, if you are an LSU fan and think highly of anderson, it makes me that much more excited about him. I appreciate the intensity of the sec rivalry and respect for ones opponents is always an enouraging thing.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Given the weakness of the DE class
    Out of curiosity, why do you call this year's DE class weak? Maybe it's a bit top heavy but there's definitely a lot of talent available at DE in this draft.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    mr mofo, not following you on the de analysis. Leonard Little is one of the starters, and he is neither a second year player nor a rookie.

I was meaning those that play opposite of Little.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Out of curiosity, why do you call this year's DE class weak?
    Because I don't know what I'm talking about?

Maybe it's a bit top heavy but there's definitely a lot of talent available at DE in this draft.
    I guess I got the impression that the guys we could draft aren't good values for where we're picking, making it seem less likely that we'd pick up a DE in the draft and making it more of a FA priority. But you're the guru.

RedArcher7 Guest

Gaines Adams and Jamaal Anderson are good values at #13. If Jamaal is there we should consider taking him. If Adams is there we shouldn't think twice. Other than that, unless we want to trade down for say a Moses or a Abiamiri. But there should be better value at other spots on defense unless we really want an end.