throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ramhard is offline Registered User

James Laurinaitis still unimpressive at pro day

Laurinaitis again ran slow and was fairly unimpressive at the Ohio State pro day (for that matter so was Jenkins who will probably be moved to safety). Looks more and more like he may be around at the top of the 2nd. The question is whether he is an overrated OSU player; or a productive 2 down LB that doesn't drill well?

If the Rams got an OT at 1.2 would you go Laurinaitis at 2.3? My gut is saying no, that he's a product of the system and hype than player.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: James Laurinaitis still unimpressive at pro day

I don't know where you obtained your information, as you obviously were not at the Pro Day, nor have you cited a source. Here are what others said:

From NFL.com
    Laurinaitis was clocked at 4.72 and 4.75 in the 40-yard dash, with times of 4.18 in the short shuttle and 6.81 in the three-cone drill. He kept the rest of his numbers from the combine.
    Those are not bad numbers for a MLB, and there's nothing negative in that report. I did a search and could not find any report that described his Pro Day performance as "unimpressive."

Consider this a "cite your source" challenge.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

From NFLDraftScout:

03/13/09 - Ohio State Pro day: Beanie wasn't the only former Buckeye who felt like he had something to prove Friday after a subpar showing at the combine. All-American cornerback Malcolm Jenkins and linebacker James Laurinaitis were two of 20 seniors who worked out at pro day and both of them improved their numbers from Indianapolis. "I felt like I improved everything," Laurinaitis said. "I was a lot faster today." After running what many felt was a disappointing 4.80 flat at the combine, Laurinaitis posted times in the 4.67-4.74 range Friday. - Brandon Castel, Buckeye Grove

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

If rams get Smith/Monroe in the first then manage to grab Laurinaitis with their 2nd rounder that would be the perfect first day of the draft for me. That would be 2 instant upgrades at 2 important positions.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'd absolutely take Laurinaitis at the top of the 2nd. He could have been one of the top LB's that could have come out last year and is still one of the best interior backers this year. So far I'm still worried about the Pats taking him at #34. Hopefully they trade it away for Peppers.

ramhard is offline Registered User

OSU has fast track

AvengerRam, I've taken the challenge! Here is the info, as OSU has a fast track and scouts typically add .7 to 1 to the 40 times. From Sports Illustrated.com By Tony Pauline:

"Representatives from 29 NFL teams were in Columbus on Friday for Ohio State's pro day, as a number of Buckeyes hoped to improve their marks from the combine.

Defensive back Malcolm Jenkins did not improve and ran poorly again. Jenkins' 40 times ranged between 4.46-4.53 seconds on the Buckeyes' super-fast track. Usually, .07-.1 seconds are added to the times from the Ohio State pro day because of the fast surface. After the workout, Jenkins seemed resigned that he'll likely make the move to safety in the NFL, saying he'll take at it as a positive.

Three-time Al-American linebacker James Laurinaitis ran uninspired times between 4.68-4.78 seconds, while wide receiver Brian Robiskie was in the 4.5-second range."

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont care what his combine numbers are, i LOVE this guy. To me, he seems like a real football player. Reminds me of chris speilman, another ohio state guy that people said was too small and too slow and then made about 1200 tackles in the nfl. Sure, he will need help from the defensive tackles in front of him. I would be thrilled to get him in round 2 and would be fine trading up a few spots to get him.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I dont care what his combine numbers are, i LOVE this guy. To me, he seems like a real football player. Reminds me of chris speilman, another ohio state guy that people said was too small and too slow and then made about 1200 tackles in the nfl. Sure, he will need help from the defensive tackles in front of him. I would be thrilled to get him in round 2 and would be fine trading up a few spots to get him.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Agreed. Something about Laurinitis just screams "football player" to me. I don't think anybody putting up the type of production he has (obviously this is different for some QB's and WR's in spread offenses) can be considered a 'product of the system'. I'd definitely be interested in working the phones to get him.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

So what if his times were "uninspired". That doesn't really say that he ran slow, just that he didn't impress people with his speed. Still, the guy won the Bronko Nagurski Award as a sophomore and the Butkus Award as a junior in addition to being a 3-time All American. Maybe he won't be the fastest guy on the field, but he he's got the instincts, the skills, and the intangibles. I'd be thrilled if we could land him in the second round.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: OSU has fast track

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard View Post
    AvengerRam, I've taken the challenge! Here is the info, as OSU has a fast track and scouts typically add .7 to 1 to the 40 times. From Sports Illustrated.com By Tony Pauline:

"Representatives from 29 NFL teams were in Columbus on Friday for Ohio State's pro day, as a number of Buckeyes hoped to improve their marks from the combine.

Defensive back Malcolm Jenkins did not improve and ran poorly again. Jenkins' 40 times ranged between 4.46-4.53 seconds on the Buckeyes' super-fast track. Usually, .07-.1 seconds are added to the times from the Ohio State pro day because of the fast surface. After the workout, Jenkins seemed resigned that he'll likely make the move to safety in the NFL, saying he'll take at it as a positive.

Three-time Al-American linebacker James Laurinaitis ran uninspired times between 4.68-4.78 seconds, while wide receiver Brian Robiskie was in the 4.5-second range."
    Fair enough, but that is only one observer's opinion, not the clear concensus.

We've heard many times from Devaney and Spagnuolo (as well as others) that workouts are one thing, but you have to look at the game films to really see what a player can do.

I also like to look at the stat sheet, particularly when evaluating a player, like Laurinaitis, who played against top competition.

Here are JL's Senior #s:

13 games
    130 tackles
    7 tackles for loss
    4 sacks
    4 passes defended
    2 interceptions

Those are pretty good numbers. I'd say he's worth a second round pick if he's there.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I hate these combine/pro days/give a scout a job because he's the uncle's nephew cousin of a distant relative who needs a job but can only work a stopwatch and then it may not be correct type of evaluations. I don't care what a player does in the "ice cream cone" drills, or how far he broad jumped, or lifted ON THAT PARTICULAR FREAKING DAY.

Game Film. Period. End of story for me. Laurinaitis is a football player. He can hit.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -03-19-2009 at 07:27 PM.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I agree with those that say this guy defines "football player". He's very athletic, versatile, a sure tackler, great in pass coverage, plays with intensity and is a leader. Sounds exactly like a Spags type of guy. His 40 times are not off the charts, but they are more than adequate. Laurinaitus is nothing but IMPRESSIVE. Getting him in the second round would be an absolute STEAL.

shower beers is offline Registered User

MLB's tend to tumble out of the first round, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall to the second, but it'll be tough to get past the pats. This guy is just nothing but class and talent, and would definitely bring leadership qualities to the locker room.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    MLB's tend to tumble out of the first round, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall to the second, but it'll be tough to get past the pats. This guy is just nothing but class and talent, and would definitely bring leadership qualities to the locker room.
    He does sound like a Patriot kind of guy, doesn't he?

I don't think he falls out of the 1st round, but if he does, I wouldn't mind working a deal with the Lions to jump ahead of the Pats from 35 to 33. Of course, hopefully, the Pats get a deal done for Peppers (that's not done yet, right?) giving the Panthers (who don't need a MIKE) the 34.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Maybe he won't be the fastest guy on the field, but he he's got the instincts, the skills, and the intangibles. I'd be thrilled if we could land him in the second round.
    I don't believe these areas can be measured at the combine or pro day?!

I would definitely take this guy if he's available in the second round.

Amazing a MLB with lots of talent that plays MLB. Who woulda thought?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast