• No, his character concerns are too much

20 52.63%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Janoris Jenkins - would you want this guy at Pick #33 / #39

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Janoris Jenkins - would you want this guy at Pick #33 / #39

From Scout.com

North Alabama cornerback Janoris Jenkins was dismissed from the University of Florida football program after three arrests: two possession of marijuana charges and another stemming from a bar fight. However, Jenkins was emphatic in denying a report that he allegedly kept using marijuana after enrolling at North Alabama where he was subject to a zero-tolerance policy.

"I wasn't smoking marijuana at North Alabama," Jenkins said in a telephone interview. "If anybody wants to know, they can give my coaches a call. I wasn't partying. They've been saying a lot of things about me that aren't true withuot getting my side of the story. It's been a humbling experience.

"You've got to be a man, you've got to be honest and straightforward. I've matured. My past is my past. People can judge me for how far I've come. I want to know why all of a sudden this is out there about me. Why didn't it come out after the combine when I was straightforward with the scouts? The timing is very interesting to me."

According to Jenkins' defensive coordinator at North Alabama, Jenkins, 23, didn't violate a zero tolerance contract that included random drug testing. He also had a community service requirement.

Tony Pecoraro, Jenkins' defensive coordinator last season at North Alabama, backed up Jenkins' story.

"Of course, he got drug tested when he was there and he passed those tests," Pecoraro told Scout. "For him to get into school, our athletic director put in a bunch of stipulations and he had to do community service hours, do a mentoring program, take random drug tests. If anything had come back positive from those, he wouldn't have been out there. It was a zero tolerance policy. He did everything we asked him to do."

Last year, Jenkins was a second-team All-American selection who finished second nationally with a 21.7 punt return average as he returned three punts for touchdowns.

He also had 53 tackles, two interceptions, four pass deflections and two fumble recoveries.

"Coaching him was fun and easy," Pecoraro said. "He makes you a hell of a lot better coach. He was a great kid for us. He came in from Florida, and it could have went a bunch of different ways.

"He could have come in with an ego, but he did not. He bought into us. I can't say enough good things about him. The players loved him. He did a hell of a job for us."

Jenkins has four children with three women.

He insists that won't be a distraction and that they provide motivation for him to make it in the NFL to give them the best possible financial situation.

"When I was at Florida, I had these same kids and I was playing at a high level and nobody said anything bad about it," Jenkins said. "I'm proud of my kids. I love them. I will raise them as their dad.

"I don't know why I happen to be a guy who people want to tear down. I don't listen to what they have to say. When I was a kid, my dad always told me you will face adversity and you will make some mistakes. You can either stay at the bottom of the hill or you can climb back to the top."

Jenkins has visited the Philadelphia Eagles, Indianapolis Colts and the St. Louis Rams.

Jenkins said he had positive meeting with Eagles coach Andy Reid and other NFL coaches.

"Coach Reid is a great guy, very cool, very straightforward," Jenkins said. "He kept it honest. He told me what he liked about me and some of the things he didn't like. He told me I was a great cornerback and doesn't think I'm a bad guy. He just said I made some mistakes.

"I get great feedback from NFL teams. Certain teams told me they thought I would be a thuggish kid with baggy jeans or one of those wild guys. When they meet me, they see I'm not a bad kid. I just made some mistakes and everybody makes mistakes. The NFL is going to get a good person who will give back and reach out to kids and talk about the things I've done in my past and talk to them about not making the same mistakes I made."

It's unclear where Jenkins is going to land in the draft next week.

There's little doubt that his stock has been damaged by his off-field problems.

Nonetheless, Jenkins has excellent coverage skills and that's a rare trait coveted in today's pass-first NFL.

Among the rumored landing spots for Jenkins if he goes in the first round: the New England Patriots and the Cincinnati Bengals.

He's not expected to have a long wait should he slip into the second round.

"They'll get a steal," Pecoraro said. "I know he had some issues as a young man, but sometimes you make mistakes. He got a second chance and he took full advantage of it. Any team that gets him, you can't get a better football player: physical, smart, fast, can cover in zone or man. He did it against top receivers. He's already guarded them and shut them down."

Jenkins excelled at the Senior Bowl all-star game.

Before leaving Florida, Jenkins fared well against future Cincinnati Bengals Pro Bowl wide receiver A.J. Green and Atlanta Falcons starter Julio Jones. He held them to an average of 38 yards per game.

At the NFL scouting combine, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.46 seconds and had a 10-1 broad jump.

For the Gators, he had 121 tackles, eight interceptions and 25 pass deflections in 36 career starts.

Jenkins' talent is unquestioned. However, teams want to find a comfort level with him as a person, though.

"Whoever gets me will get a competitor, somebody who works hard, a team player and a shutdown cornerback," Jenkins said. "Whoever skips over me, they're going to regret it now and later."
    You know, it's quite interesting. He is one prospect where interviews will determine his draft position more than anything else.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

We're rebuilding and can use all the talent that we can get. At teh same time, talent that's not allowed in the buidling because of being suspended does no good.

If we trade down into the middle of the 2nd through any of our picks, I'd be fine taking him, but through 39, there will be 1st round talents without his question marks available. Put me down for taking him if we trade to #48 or later.
    I believe!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Jenkins has four children with three women.

He insists that won't be a distraction and that they provide motivation for him to make it in the NFL to give them the best possible financial situation.

"When I was at Florida, I had these same kids and I was playing at a high level and nobody said anything bad about it," Jenkins said. "I'm proud of my kids. I love them. I will raise them as their dad.
    Janoris, I appreciate the fact that you want to be a dad to those 4 kids. That's great. Every child needs a dad. But brother, just because you played college ball w/o the kids being a distraction, doesn't mean that will continue in the NFL. The kids may not know the difference, but now you've got 3 "baby mamas" that are each going to be looking for half your paycheck.

That's a distraction, my friend.

I hope you've matured for your sake, but more importantly for your kids' sake. But know for certain, the hard part is just beginning.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like he should have worked on his "coverage skills" for a particular body part.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Sounds like he should have worked on his "coverage skills" for a particular body part.
    Nah, he just saw some holes in the pass pro and shot the gap like he was trained to do

general counsel is offline Registered User

I believe that four kids with three women puts him in second place among NFL corners in this area. I believe that Cromartie from the Jets is the current NFL leader among cb's with his ten kids with 8 different women. The all time leader in sports that i am aware of is of course former heavyweight champ Evander Holyfield, who has at least 11 known kids with 9 different women. None of these guys seem to understand the basic problems associated with going out in the rain without your hat on.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Travis Henry has Holyfield beat then. The former NFL RB has 11 kids by 10 different mothers

Actually, upon checking with some of my colleagues at work, it appears that Shawn Kemp may be the all time record holder in this area, although the numbers are very hard to verify. Kemp had 7 confirmed kids with 6 different women, but the rumours apparantly have credited him with approximately 16 kids by 13 different women.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

poejoe8 Guest

Pass. I've seen it each and every year, regardless of their positions, these guys are just too undependable on a week in, week out, year in, year out basis. Loads of talent but they have already proved who comes first when they're most needed. Look at the last SB players who led this team, Faulk, Holt, Warner, et al...professionals from Day 1 and still great Ram Ambassadors...no coincidences there.

I agree that Jenkins is not for us, but i would point out the significance of drug aided players in the Rams success. If Tony Horne doesnt return the opening kickoff of the second half playoff game againt the vikings for a td, i am not sure if we win that game. As we know, horne was a guy with a history of drug problems, so at least the rams can say that we have been successful at least once with that type of issue. That being said, there is a huge difference between tony horne's drug issues and using a high draft pick to get a guy with a history of problems.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

diehard99 is offline Registered User

One of our new "four pillars" - this kid can flat out play - a very good punt returner too.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

The kids don't bother me. Legal.

Being a liar and latter admitting to pot usage at North Alabama bothers me. I think it was D. Farr who said if Meyer had stayed at Florida, the pot usage would never have been made public. Maybe. If the Rams trust him, I'll trust him. Second pick of the 2nd round? Yes, I gamble on him.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

He sounds perfect for the Bengals

svh01 is offline Registered User

I say take him. We could use a shut down corner. Plus with the rookie wage scale is it that much of a risk? At #33 he'll probably sign for 4 years for 6 mil or less.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Goes to show what can happen when you take a chance...

THE DREAM TEAM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast