laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Jared Allen DE, Kansas City Chiefs

NFL Radio

Jared Allen says he expects to be traded before the draft. Supposedly the Chiefs are talking to the Buccaneers and Vikings.

FYI

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Jared Allen DE, Kansas City Chiefs

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    NFL Radio

Jared Allen says he expects to be traded before the draft. Supposedly the Chiefs are talking to the Buccaneers and Vikings.

FYI
    Interesting. To make this Ram applicable, let's play this scenario out. The Chiefs trade Allen for the 1st round pick of Vikes (#17) or Bucs (#20). The Chiefs then trade the #5 and the #17/20 for our #2. The trade value is within 50 picks for either pick (favorable for the #17, against for the #20), so it is close enough to equal.

This trade would not be consumated until after the Dolphins pick. If the Dolphins pass on Jake Long, the Rams and Chiefs pull the trigger, thereby guaranteeing Jake Long is a Chief.

And the Rams have the #5 and either the #17 or #20.

Do you do it?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i think i would but its a close call..if i knew that Matt Ryan would be taken before the 5th then that would leave one of the top 4 on our board left so say Miami took Ryan at 1st overall..i would deffo!

also raiders could take McFadden...

i really want Chris Long but having two first rounders in the top twenty with our needs would be too hard for me to resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    i think i would but its a close call..if i knew that Matt Ryan would be taken before the 5th then that would leave one of the top 4 on our board left so say Miami took Ryan at 1st overall..i would deffo!

also raiders could take McFadden...

i really want Chris Long but having two first rounders in the top twenty with our needs would be too hard for me to resist.
    Well then, how's this for a scenario.....

....The talks between JL and Parcells breaks down. Condon tells Parcells that Long ain't buyin' what he's selling. Parcells moves on down the road and makes the same offer to Gholston. He takes it to be the #1. Then the trade....

Dolphins - Vernon Gholston
    Chiefs - Jake Long
    Falcons - Glenn Dorsey
    Raiders - Darren McFadden
    Rams - Chris Long
    #17/20 Rams - BPA (OT/WR)
    #33 Rams - BPA (OT/WR)

How'd dat be?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Well then, how's this for a scenario.....

....The talks between JL and Parcells breaks down. Condon tells Parcells that Long ain't buyin' what he's selling. Parcells moves on down the road and makes the same offer to Gholston. He takes it to be the #1. Then the trade....

Dolphins - Vernon Gholston
    Chiefs - Jake Long
    Falcons - Glenn Dorsey
    Raiders - Darren McFadden
    Rams - Chris Long
    #17/20 Rams - BPA (OT/WR)
    #33 Rams - BPA (OT/WR)

How'd dat be?
    Looks good except for one area I'm concerned with and that's the RAIDERS passing on Howie's son and picking McFadden.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Looks good except for one area I'm concerned with and that's the RAIDERS passing on Howie's son and picking McFadden.
    A distinct possibility. Though we've heard a lot of chatter (FWIW) about Davis' love of D.Mc, the Raiders taking Long is a speed bump on this hypothetical highway.

So if that happens, then what? How about.....

Call up Jerry Jones. Offer the #5 (ie. D-Mc) for his #22, #28, & #61 (the chart value is roughly equal).

We miss out on one of the Big 4, but we have 5 picks in the first two rounds (#17, #22, #28, #33, & #61). And just for grins, let's put names to numbers.....

#17 - Phillip Merling, DE
    #22 - Gosder Cherilus, OT
    #28 - Desean Jackson, WR
    #33 - Antoine Cason, CB
    #61 - DeJuan Morgan, SS

That ain't bad.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I like that scenario a lot. Even if the "big 4" are gone by the time pick 5 comes up, the Rams could still go with Ellis, Albert or Clady at 5, Merling or a WR at 17, and a WR, DE or OL at 33.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Jared Allen on the Block?

So How about a trade down with KC to aquire Jared Allen and their first round pick? This would help us majorly, with the exception of cap space. Other then that we could end up with a proven pro-bowl DE and a top 10 pick... DO IT!

I'm sure some of you can shed some negative light on this topic...

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Jared Allen on the Block?

The only bad thing I have to say about this is the fact that we could possibly be drafting a future probowler in Chris Long.

It would be nice, but this is a building year. And we should be building young. Jared Allen will be a great player, but I think the Rams are going to stick to their boy Chris Long and keep our #2.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I just thought of this trade, and at first I liked it. And then my brain exploded. Why would we do this trade? Who would we pick at #5? The Chiefs would only do it to grab Jake Long, so one of Gholston or Chris Long would have been picked by Miami. Atlanta picks Dorsey. Raiders pick the other defensive end or McFadden, doesn't matter. Who do we pick? We're too high for a corner, and Brown won't be suspended. We have our defensive end, so we wouldn't even go after Long or Gholston... and especially not Harvey at 5. Ryan and McFadden are out.

Ryan Clady? He's a mean left tackle, it's possible, but a bit of a reach. But hey, we got a DE, so maybe.

Branden Albert? A dream for him, but too high in my mind, even if he steps in at RG and then moves to tackle as needed.

Sedrick Ellis? He's the last elite player, and at least he doesn't take Carriker's spot. We destroy Ryan's development though and don't help get a young pass rush while we overfill a need like we would be doing with Dorsey.

Keith Rivers? A little high, but he'll fill the Sam at least.

Trade down further? Always a possibility.

If Chris Long is gone, do it. Otherwise, take Chris Long.

Wolf is offline Registered User

Sadly, he's looking for a Dwight Freeney contract and KC wants a second along with the first. I know people are high on Jared Allen, but I've never really trusted him after his DUI issues and all that.

rather keep the 1st and 2nd and get Chris Long.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I just thought of this trade, and at first I liked it. And then my brain exploded. Why would we do this trade? Who would we pick at #5? The Chiefs would only do it to grab Jake Long, so one of Gholston or Chris Long would have been picked by Miami. Atlanta picks Dorsey. Raiders pick the other defensive end or McFadden, doesn't matter. Who do we pick? We're too high for a corner, and Brown won't be suspended. We have our defensive end, so we wouldn't even go after Long or Gholston... and especially not Harvey at 5. Ryan and McFadden are out.

Ryan Clady? He's a mean left tackle, it's possible, but a bit of a reach. But hey, we got a DE, so maybe.

Branden Albert? A dream for him, but too high in my mind, even if he steps in at RG and then moves to tackle as needed.

Sedrick Ellis? He's the last elite player, and at least he doesn't take Carriker's spot. We destroy Ryan's development though and don't help get a young pass rush while we overfill a need like we would be doing with Dorsey.

Keith Rivers? A little high, but he'll fill the Sam at least.

Trade down further? Always a possibility.

If Chris Long is gone, do it. Otherwise, take Chris Long.

If we did decide to trade down a second time, which by the way would be unheard of by a Rams front office, Dallas's 2 late 1st rounders would look awfully enticing though I don't know if the points would add up.

We'd almost certainly get one of the top WRs and maybe the best CB before we even got to the 2nd round. Just dreaming