Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams
  • 1 Post By Vinnie25

Thread: Jarvis Jones Slipping?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Jarvis Jones Slipping?

Per Rotoworld:

" According to Walter Football's Charlie Campbell, multiple NFL scouts at the East-West Shrine expect Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones to fall out of the top-five picks in April's draft.Per the scouts, Jones is "not a good workout guy," and may struggle at the Combine, and isn't a "weight-room guy," either. One scout also noted Jones' medical condition of spinal stenosis. After his diagnosis at USC, Trojans team doctors told Jones "he should retire from football." Jones transferred to Georgia, of course, where he was medically cleared. Still, the work ethic and medical concerns are not indicative of a top-five prospect. "

That would truly be my dream. I WISH Jones slipped to us, but there is virtually no chance of that happening. I think (the Eagles look like they are switching to a 3-4) the Eagles, Jets, and Browns are 3 teams to look out for. I think Jarvis Jones is the BEST prospect in this draft, and he reminds me of Von Miller. He is a much better fit for a 3-4 defense, but a player like Jones (and Von Miller) can make it work in a 4-3 too. I'd be interested in him if he fell far enough, or even in a trade up (if we didn't have to give the world for him).

THE DREAM TEAM

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Re: Jarvis Jones Slipping?

To each his own but I wouldn't rate someone as the best prospect in the draft if he has questionable work ethic and medical concerns. I certainly wouldn't draft someone who won't work hard.

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    To each his own but I wouldn't rate someone as the best prospect in the draft if he has questionable work ethic and medical concerns. I certainly wouldn't draft someone who won't work hard.
    I have yet to see his "lacking work ethic" so I don't exactly believe it. I find it pretty damn hard to be arguably the best defender in college football, a pass rushing force, and someone who consistently dominated offenses without working hard at practice.

When the combine rolls around, and he "chokes" as this NFL scout says, thats when I'll let Jones drop down my draft board. As of right now, he is the BEST.
    lostsoul likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Relentless, and vicious, Dawg Bones will rip your OT apart and then drop your QB. This doesn't strike me as a guy who doesn't work hard:

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I already had Jones falling out of the Top Five in my latest mock... to Cleveland @ 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I already had Jones falling out of the Top Five in my latest mock... to Cleveland @ 6.
    Yup, I thought that'd be an AMAZING pick if it worked out like that. Cleveland making the change to the 3-4 (Ray Horton is an amazing DC) could really use a pass rushing force like Jones. Ahtyba Rubin, Phil Taylor, D'Qwell Jackson, Jabaal Sheard, TJ Ward, and Joe Haden, not to mention Dawg Bones!

I think he's going to be a beast. I think he ultimately slips a little bit because of :

1) His spinal stenosis
    2) He isn't the biggest, strongest, or fastest, so he wont have a lot of buzz at the combine

But I think the team that takes him will be DAMN happy.

THE DREAM TEAM

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Dude is an absolute beast, but I highly doubt he'll make it till the 16th pick. What impresses me the most is his ability to defend the zone read, he just seems to never get fooled and crush whoever has the ball.
    sosa39rams likes this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

still sad that he wasn't able to finish his college career at USC

with his condition, the medical staff not clearing him to play i think was right, not necessarily saying georgia was wrong, glad to see him still playing, would be awesome to see him be a ram

don't think it will happen though

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=citr92;452396]still sad that he wasn't able to finish his college career at USC/QUOTE]

Dude don't feel sorry for him. He went to a better team and a better conference. Go Dawgs!

If he slips out of the top ten the Rams should make a move and go get him... He would definitely be the BPA and a monster to add to the D....

citr92 is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=jerseyramsfan;452423]
    Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    still sad that he wasn't able to finish his college career at USC/QUOTE]

Dude don't feel sorry for him. He went to a better team and a better conference. Go Dawgs!

If he slips out of the top ten the Rams should make a move and go get him... He would definitely be the BPA and a monster to add to the D....
    i'll let the "better team" comment slide, cause we both know the better team is the rams!

and don't start the "better conference" BS

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Its no BS its the TRUTH! Go Rams!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Absent a medical red flag, I think that averaging 75 tackles, 20 TFL and 13 sacks over two years in the SEC tells us that this guy is an elite talent.

Rambos is offline Registered User

2013 NFL Draft: Jarvis Jones’ value falling, so what?
    January 21, 2013 by Jacob Rosen 17 Comments

Jarvis JonesThe Super Bowl matchup is set. But for the Browns, despite the meaningless Pro Bowl next week, the next truly meaningful event on the schedule is April’s NFL Draft.

Of course, there will be the combine and several other related activities until the three-day draft begins on Thursday, April 25, but let’s just go for the imagery of this magical, franchise-defining moment in the middle of spring for the Browns and their new front office/coaching staff.

Each of the last two months around this time, I started out WFNY’s draft coverage by looking at the Big Board for the NFL Draft. First, I professed my love for a certain underclassman turnover-machine from Georgia, and then, I squared off against my friend Jordan in the debate over picking a guard or a defensive playmaker.

So let’s take another updated look today at the aggregate Big Board.

The table below shows the most recent Big Board rankings from Scouts Inc., Mel Kiper Jr, CBS’ NFL Draft Scout and Walter Football. It also compares player’s rankings from my November outlook, if they made the top billing back then too.
    Rank Player Scouts ESPN CBS WF JAN. NOV. Better Same Worse
    1 Joeckel 2 3 1 1 1.75 3.75 3 1 0
    2 Loutulelei 1 4 4 2 2.75 2.5 1 1 2
    3 Jones 6 1 2 5 3.50 1.75 1 1 2
    4 Moore 3 2 7 3 3.75 5.75 4 0 0
    5 Warmack 4 5 5 9 5.75 11.25 3 0 1
    6 Werner 7 12 3 4 6.50 10.5 3 0 1
    7 Milliner 8 13 8 6 8.75 8.25 1 1 2
    8 Richardson 19 9 6 8 10.50
    9 Te’o 12 6 11 15 11.00 5.75 0 0 4
    10 Ogletree 11 7 19 11 12.00
    11 Mingo 5 11 25 13 13.50 8.75 1 0 3
    12 Fisher 20 10 14 10 13.50
    13 Hankins 15 19 18 7 14.75 5.75 0 0 4
    14 Smith 23 10 12 15.00 10.25 1 0 3
    15 Cooper 13 8 17 24 15.50

In an effort to make some sense out of this table and why I did it this way here in January, let’s take a look at the biggest movements in this top 15 Big Board outlook:

Biggest jumps

Luke Joeckel, OT, 6-5 3/4, 306, Texas A&M (junior)

Now emerging as the most logical No. 1 pick to the Kansas City Chiefs 1 , Joeckel is taking advantage of some apparent league-wide concerns about other top prospects. This isn’t a sexy pick. And after last year’s dominant performances by top QBs Luck and Griffin, it’s likely that KC fans are anxiously awaiting a star QB. But this is not the year. Joeckel, who blocked for Heisman winner Johnny Manziel, would be just the third No. 1 offensive lineman in the Super Bowl era pick — following Orlando Pace in ’97 and Jake Long in ’08.

Damontre Moore, DE, 6-4, 248, Texas A&M (junior)

Moore is probably the best pure pass-rusher and his size/production this past season at Texas A&M sure is intriguing. He was one of the most dominant defensive players in the nation in 2012, and, depending upon the placement of Star Loutulelei, is now clearly in the discussion for the top defensive player in this draft. If he’s available at No. 6, it would be hard to see the Browns passing on him.

Chance Warmack, OG, 6-2 3/8, 325, Alabama

Warmarck’s performance in the National Championship Game against Notre Dame cemented his status as a clear top-15 pick, despite still being an interior offensive lineman. He could certainly climb as high as the top 8, possibly to Arizona at No. 7, assuming that no other QB needs dominate a desire for a standout guard.

Bjoern Werner, DE, 6-4, 255, Florida State

Many consider Werner to be the most dependable top-end defensive line prospect, as he projects to be just as good against the pass as against the run. He led the ACC with 13 sacks and again, like Joeckel and others, has jumped up on the Big Board because of other player concerns. It now would be a clear surprise if he falls past the top 8.

Biggest falls

Jarvis Jones, OLB, 6-2, 242, Georgia (junior)
    The current concern with Jones, who already was slightly undersized, is the report that he has spinal stenosis, which could lead to a draft-day slide or to a shortened NFL career. Reportedly, this diagnosis helped force a hand into his transfer from USC and to the University of Georgia. Seahawks Draft Blog had a nice look into what this could mean for Jones and other historical comparisons. Regardless, this just means that Jones is no longer a shoo-in as the top defensive prospect in the draft, and he could start to slide if other teams fall in love with Loutelelei, Moore, Werner or others.