Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Jay Cutler is the Clear Choice for the Rams

Yea. I wish it'd open backup though just so we can tell the Web Designer to update our dang site.

RamsFan16

bruce4life is offline Registered User

jay cutler has a better physique than ronnie colemen...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    These threads make me sick. I don't find it funny at all.
    Looks like that senseofhumorectomy went well.....the scar is barely noticeable.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Ok, back on topic. Why not Cutler? the kid throws a wicked deep ball, has the skills to make adjustments at the line of scrimmage, and can't be dumb due to going to school at Vandy.

Look, it's time to start building for a winner a year or two away from now. Bulger is good but is he durable? Cutler could run the Rams offense and with Ferrotte at backup could take some time and learn the system properly.

I don't see this as a bad pick at all.

But Tx, do we want to spend our 1st round pick on a back-up? True enough, this would be a pick for the future, but what does that say to the older guys who need to win now?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

What, outside of a TE, is REALLY going to make that big of an impact at 11 anyway?

Huff is good, but he's going to get torched his rookie year. Ngata may be good, but is he really going to control the line of scrimmage his rookie year on D?

11 is a weird slot in the draft. It's high compared to most of the other teams in the league, but really not high enough to make an immediate impact. It can happen, not saying it can't. However historically, does it really have that ummmph? I don't think so.

Well, historically, I wouldn't expect ANY rookie to make an impact, but with a Ngata, Bunkley, Greenway, Huff, etc., at least they'd be on the field. If we get Cutler, he may not see any part of the field this year.....unless, of course, Bulger decides to do his linebacker impersonation again.

I'm not saying Cutler would be the worst thing ever (still think it's moot as at least 3 teams ahead of us will take a QB), but I'd hate to see a first round pick go to a pick that is almost guaranteed to not provide production for a couple of years.

To me, the draft is like the stock market. You make selections based on need and impact at the moment. The Rams at 11 aren't going to get that immediate impact player anyway, so why not select a blue chip for the long term?

I don't know. Hey, that draft with Arch, DLew and Pickett that put those players on the field immediately sure produced a lot of wins didn't it?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Not sure that this is the thread for a serious discussion of Jay Cutler, but...

It all comes down to how you see this year's Rams. If you see them as a team that, with some key additions, can make the playoffs THIS YEAR, then drafting a QB is a HORRIBLE IDEA. As HUb said, why draft a guy who would probably be #3 on the depth chart (for the next two years, in all likelihood).

I completely disagree with Tx's argument that few rookies can have a positive impact. Look at last year's Seahawks. Their defense improved greatly to a large extend due to the play of two rookie LBs - neither of whom was even a first round pick.

I think there are many defensive players in this draft who could impact the Rams' defense in a significant way.

The other problem with drafting Cutler is that there's no reason to presume he'll be a good NFL QB. Sure, he had some good workouts, but so did Kyle Boller.

I don't even think Cutler is the third best QB in the draft. While I am in a minority, I rank them as follows:

1. Vince Young
    2. Omar Jacobs
    3. Matt Leinert
    4. Jay Cutler

The Rams have a high-tier starter in Bulger. Let's give him a shot at staying healthy under Linehan's protection schemes before we invest a first round draft choice on a QB.

BernieM is offline Registered User

What are you talking about!!?!?! Just look at the guy!

Look at those abs!

Those pecs!

He's a serious piece of beefcake!

Mmmmmmmmmmmm..... beef...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm..... cake...

Um... gotta go. I need to have my early-mid-morning snack (I wonder how a piece of meatloaf would taste between two slices of Sara Lee pound cake...)

Ok....don't draft Cutler.

Next.....

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Ok....don't draft Cutler.

Next.....
    Well, let's just approach it from a different perspective. What players would have to be off the board at 11 in order to select Cutler? For me, there would be a couple of dozen players I'd take ahead of Cutler (or any of the other QBs), but that's just me.

Who would have to be gone for Cutler (or another QB) to be drafted?

have you guys even seen this kid play? I saw him beat Tennessee last year and he was pretty cool under pressure.

However, I realize with this crowd I'm fighting a losing battle so I defer to the people..."in the know".

Tx, the kid is good. Heck, he's great. To do anything with what he had in Vandy is amazing. He beat WF and Ark. on the road, he beat Ole Miss, and........he beat the Vols in Knoxville! Yes, that is amazing, and I would rank him as the #2 QB behind Leinert.

However, as good as he is, I just can't see bringing in a QB (in the first round) who will hold a clipboard for two years.

But that's just me.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

If you don't pick for the future there won't be one

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast