throwback week



View Poll Results: Is this Mock Draft up to your standards?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    19 82.61%
  • no

    4 17.39%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1
    jbell15 Guest

    Jbell15's, long awaited, Rams Mock!!!

    Ok, as most of you know, i have been driving the Curry Bandwagon for a while now. But, the better of me has come to realize that it's only about a 35% chance so i will proceed in my mock without him.
    Areas to improve team
    1) Running the football.
    2) Stopping the run.
    3) Converting 3rd downs
    4) Clock management
    5) Red-Zone efficiency
    6) Pass Protection
    7) Getting off the field on third downs
    8) Overall Depth
    9) Man to man coverage. Cough, Tye Hill, Cough.
    not in any order of importance


    New additions:
    James Butler, SS, Stopping the run, Getting off the field. Man to Man coverage
    Mike Karney, FB, Running the football, Pass protection, Red-Zone efficiency, Converting third downs.
    Jason Brown, C, Running the football, Pass protection, red-zone efficiency, converting third downs.
    Billy Bajema,TE, Running the football, Converting third downs.
    Gus FrerotteQB, Kinda, Depth maybe

    Hank Baskett,WR
    Note: He played under Shurmur in philly. Proven vet, who became McNabb's favorite target at times.




    2009 NFL Draft

    Pick number Two

    Eugene Monroe, LT, Virginia
    6-5, 309 LBS.

    Monroe is the best pass blocking LT in the draft, and also the most ready to step in on day one and contribute. He can also dominate in the run game, as he showed in the east carolina, maryland, and GT games.

    Areas he helps the team:
    Running the football
    Converting third downs
    Pass Protection
    Red-Zone efficiency
    Alternate picks: Aaron Curry, Jason Smith


    Pick Number 35

    James Lauranaitis, MLB, Ohio State
    6-2, 244 LBS

    He is one of the best tacklers in this draft, and also one of the best leaders. He stepped in for A.J Hawk when he was drafted by the packers, and the team didn't miss a beat. He doesn't jump out in position drills, or im timed exercises, but is a GAMER. This may be a best case scenario for us, as we may have to move up in the draft to get him, but we will do what we have to do, possibly only moving up a few spots and using pisa as trade bait.

    Areas he helps the team:
    Stopping the run
    Getting off the field on third downs
    Alternate picks: Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt, Clint Sintim.


    Pick number 67

    Ramses Barden, WR, Cal Poly
    6-6, 229 LBS

    WR will be a priority in this draft, because we struggled in the red zone last year. Most of those struggles are because we cannot throw the jump ball or the back shoulder fade with smaller recievers like avery and holt. Barden comes in with elite size and as i saw when Cal Poly crushed my school earlier this year, HE IS FASTER THAN YOU THINK. I strongly considered Louis Murphy for this pick, but chose barden because he will help more in the red-zone.

    Areas he helps the team:
    Converting third downs
    Red-Zone efficiency

    Alternate Picks:
    Joaquim Iglesias, Louis Murphy.


    Pick Number 99

    Keenan Lewis, CB, Oregon State
    6-1, 208 LBS

    Lewis is an absolute blanket in coverage, in a NNamdi Asomugha mold. He is one of the taller corners at 6'1 but still ran a forty with the likes of DJ moore who is four inches shorter. He will be one of the steals of this draft.

    Areas he helps the team:
    Man to man coverage
    Getting off the field on third downs

    Alternate picks: Chris Baker, Bradley Fletcher


    Pick Number 131

    Terrance Knighton, DT, Temple
    6-3 321 LBS.

    This guy has been a fast riser on draft boards because of his tenacity. He is stout against the run and can be the "Big sloppy fat guy" that devaney has been looking for. Scott Wright told me that he is one of the most under-rated players coming into the draft.

    Areas he helps the team:
    Stopping the Run
    Getting off the field on third downs

    Alternate Picks:
    Tom Brandstater, Roy Miller


    Pick Number 173

    Chase Daniel, QB, Missouri
    6-0, 218 LBS.

    He will take some grooming because of the system he came out of, ala colt Brennan last year. But, he has all the tools you look for in pocket consistency and as a team leader. He made the cutoff measuring in at 6'0 flat. Arm strength is questioned, but were running the WCO now. Besides, just ask MAclin how well he threw the deep ball.

    Areas He Helps the team:
    Overall Depth

    Alternate Picks:
    Brian Hoyer, Rudy Carpenter


    Pick number 205

    Johnny Williams, OLB, Kentucky
    6-3, 240 LBS.

    A friend of mine, who goes to Kentucky, said that this guy was wreaking havoc in the backfield all year but had no one around him making plays. I'll take his word for it, we need some more depth at OLB.

    Areas he helps the team: Overall Depth

    Alternate Picks: Jovan Belcher, Brian Toal



    Comments, concerns, please!!!







  2. #2
    BarronWade's Avatar
    BarronWade is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,438
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: Jbell15's, long awaited, Rams Mock!!!

    Honestly it is not to my particular standards but some of your alternates made me pick yes.

    It appears that you spent alot of time and made a pretty good mock draft. Everyone is probably going to praise you on most of the picks. But i hate being a complete A-Hole. But i guess i am simon of american idol.

    Monroe is fine.

    Laurinaitis is great (if he falls which now appears more likely)

    Then it goes bad for me from there:

    you said the reason we could not finish in the redzone was because of jump ball situations. It was not that. It was the lack of protection in the middle by the Center. We solved that problem.

    Offensivly we need more NFL-ready players because we have a defensive head coach and rookie OC. Barden has concerns about seperation and route running that is why louis murphy is better. Also Barden is a pretty big reach here but we drafted Avery last year so you never know.

    I dont agree with getting secondary help later than the 3rd round. Because what is Lewis going to do? be like a Jonathan Wade and be the 3rd or 4th back-up. We actually have depth in the secondary. If Tye Hill cant play well then we start King and if he is not the solution then we go for a DB next year. So we have a back-up plan for the 2nd CB starter. my pick here would be our QB depth in Rhett Bomar or a SLB like Zach Follet. Follet fits spags system perfectly!!!! a non-stop motor, great blitzer, block shedder, hard worker, team leader, also a good tackler.

    your next 2 picks i would flip flop (position-wise). Knighton is just a NT and i dont expect much from him. We can get Samie Lee Hill in the 6th who is a better fit for Spags. Hill played DE his senior season so he can be used as Justin Tuck was in New Jersey. I would take Brandstater in the 5th.

    For me i would take Devin Moore in the 7th because he can return kicks and play 3rd fiddle to Leonard and S-Jax the way bradshaw did in NJ.

    That is just my opinion

    yours is fine if you change your 4th rounder. I just dont see the Rams taking another CB for depth. Also if you take big players (like you did) who is going to return kicks? That is why Barden is not too good. I think we take a WR that can return kicks too.

  3. #3
    jbell15 Guest

    Re: Jbell15's, long awaited, Rams Mock!!!

    Keenan Lewis is the pick here because of a lack of faith in tye hill, and the fact that wade and king are smaller corners who are better suited for nickel duty because they are burners.

    I picked knighton because i was sick of everyone always saying sammie lee hill, and for that fact, there is no way the rams draft him, it makes too much sense.

    Kick returner is a worry, but i don't think we go out of our way to draft for it.
    Stanley can do it, or Burton returned kicks in college. They can find someone on the roster to do it.
    Maybe we draft a RB in round seven with return ability, But i would be wary because we already have pittman and leonard who can backup sjax.

  4. #4
    C-Mob 71's Avatar
    C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    S. Illinois
    Posts
    1,506
    Rep Power
    45

    Re: Jbell15's, long awaited, Rams Mock!!!

    Good job. I liked the first three rounds. Even though Barden isn't projected to go in the third, you can't coach size. He's one of the biggest dudes I've seen in a while and its quite possible hes gone before our fourth round pick. Sure he's not that polished, but you can be taught how to run routes and you can get better at catching, you can't learn how to be 6'6''.

    Laurenitis would be great in round two if he's there.

    Daniels was productive in college and is a hometown boy, so I have no problem with the Rams taking him.

    And once you start getting into the day two picks it get to be a crap shoot, so your guess is as good as mine, it looks like you got the positions right, maybe not in that order, but it's better than I could do so it's up to my standards.

  5. #5
    shower beers's Avatar
    shower beers is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,050
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: Jbell15's, long awaited, Rams Mock!!!

    Has it been a year already?!

    I like the first four picks. After that, I haven't done enough research to comment on them, so I won't pretend to. I like the big-bodied corner, and I think he would be a great pick, and a great compliment to our corps. My only critique is that the team wouldn't be addressing the defensive line until round 5, which I think needs to be addressed sooner than that. Good draft, although unlikely we land all those good picks.

  6. #6
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    19,035
    Rep Power
    171

    Re: Jbell15's, long awaited, Rams Mock!!!

    Not bad, but I think Daniels would be a wasted choice. I like Knighton. It will be interesting to see if he lasts that long.

  7. #7
    Bar-bq's Avatar
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,952
    Rep Power
    94

    Re: Jbell15's, long awaited, Rams Mock!!!

    Props to you for getting original in the later rounds. Chase Daniel is not exactly what I'm looking for in terms of a back up quarterback, but there are other fish in the sea and I get where you're taking it.

    Well done.

  8. #8
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,866
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Jbell15's, long awaited, Rams Mock!!!

    Good work, jbell!! The only quibble I would have is...

    Quote Originally Posted by jbell15 View Post
    Hank Baskett,WR
    Note: He played under Shurmur in philly. Proven vet, who became McNabb's favorite target at times.
    I believe Baskett is a restricted free agent, so we would have to compensate Philly with a second round pick in order to sign him. Under those conditions, I'm not interested.

    Other than that, very fine job. I really like the first three rounds, and you've added some nice depth in the later rounds after that. Good work!


    Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Honestly it is not to my particular standards but some of your alternates made me pick yes.

    It appears that you spent alot of time and made a pretty good mock draft. Everyone is probably going to praise you on most of the picks. But i hate being a complete A-Hole. But i guess i am simon of american idol.
    Your problem is that any mock draft that doesn't have your guys as the picks is not good in your opinion. Your feedback basically amounts to you saying, "Change these picks to the ones I want and then I'll like it." It's fine to disagree with some picks, but you also have to be realistically open to other possibilities besides your own. The objective behind providing feedback for a mock draft is not to just tell someone what their mock draft should be, according to you.


    Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Also Barden is a pretty big reach here but we drafted Avery last year so you never know.
    How is he a pretty big reach in the third round? I think after the kind of offseason he's had, including what has sounded like a pretty impressive pro day, he's certainly fine value in the third and could go in the second. You're going to have to back this one up if you still think he's a reach in round three.

  9. #9
    Tony Soprano Guest

    Re: Jbell15's, long awaited, Rams Mock!!!

    .
    I like the fact there's a Middle LB taken that high and a Def Tackle taken before the late
    rounds.

    I think improving the Run Defense is a Must. Not to speak to those specific players, but those areas definitely need addressing. When I buy a Draft Paper or Magazine, I find myself focusing in on the Interior Linebackers or bigger linebackers for the Rams.

    .

  10. #10
    A-Web's Avatar
    A-Web is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Jbell15's, long awaited, Rams Mock!!!

    On that, even if I don't think we'll go offensive lineman with the first pick, because of some recent Free Agency grabs (see Daren Heerspink---------> , and reclaiming Adam Goldberg, I feel that Aaron Curry will be the #1. Other than that, I like the prowess you have about taking care of business needs. I think if Rhett Bomar was there for the QB pick that I would prefer him, but that's apples and oranges at this point.

  11. #11
    jbell15 Guest

    Re: Jbell15's, long awaited, Rams Mock!!!

    "I believe Baskett is a restricted free agent, so we would have to compensate Philly with a second round pick in order to sign him. Under those conditions, I'm not interested. "

    Really? I had no clue he was a RFA, in that case there is no way I would do that.




    "Your problem is that any mock draft that doesn't have your guys as the picks is not good in your opinion. Your feedback basically amounts to you saying, "Change these picks to the ones I want and then I'll like it." It's fine to disagree with some picks, but you also have to be realistically open to other possibilities besides your own. The objective behind providing feedback for a mock draft is not to just tell someone what their mock draft should be, according to you."


    Hahaha i couldn't agree more. I noticed that your feedback is usually like that also, but I couldn't put it into words. No hard feelings though B-dub. Just take Nick's advice.

  12. #12
    jbell15 Guest

    Re: Jbell15's, long awaited, Rams Mock!!!

    So here is my changes for the next mock:
    RB in round 7 who can return kicks.
    Different veteran receiver.
    Rudy Carpenter instead of Chase Daniel?

  13. #13
    BarronWade's Avatar
    BarronWade is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,438
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: Jbell15's, long awaited, Rams Mock!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Your problem is that any mock draft that doesn't have your guys as the picks is not good in your opinion. Your feedback basically amounts to you saying, "Change these picks to the ones I want and then I'll like it." It's fine to disagree with some picks, but you also have to be realistically open to other possibilities besides your own. The objective behind providing feedback for a mock draft is not to just tell someone what their mock draft should be, according to you.

    How is he a pretty big reach in the third round? I think after the kind of offseason he's had, including what has sounded like a pretty impressive pro day, he's certainly fine value in the third and could go in the second. You're going to have to back this one up if you still think he's a reach in round three.
    Yea your right about my feedbak il try to get better.

    But about the Ramses Barden pick. He is a reach in the early 3rd round. There will be better more NFL ready talent available where we pick. I just dont like barden because from what iv'e researched bout him is that he tends to get inconsistent a bit and that he does not have good hands. Also he needs to improve his route running. I see him as a mid-late 3rd rounder.

    Quote Originally Posted by jbell15 View Post
    Keenan Lewis is the pick here because of a lack of faith in tye hill, and the fact that wade and king are smaller corners who are better suited for nickel duty because they are burners.
    Correct me if i am wrong but the way you say "lack of faith in Tye Hill" do you mean Keenan Lewis will be the #2 CB later on in the season?

    If you do then i am just not sure because normally it takes time for a 4th rounder to develop.

    IMO i say we see what Tye Hill can do this season with James Butler as his mentor and not being the #1 CB. If he still strugles then we go for a CB next year early like 1st or 2nd round.

  14. #14
    jbell15 Guest

    Re: Jbell15's, long awaited, Rams Mock!!!

    I'm not saying that we are going to start him day one, but my lack of faith in hill means that we need to draft his eventual replacement for mid-season. If not, then definitely 2010.

  15. #15
    RamsSB99's Avatar
    RamsSB99 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mo
    Posts
    1,131
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: Jbell15's, long awaited, Rams Mock!!!

    I am still for going Curry in round 1. But If we went OT I would still be pleased with this draft. I like the selection of Barden as a big target WR to go with our 3 younger WR's but I am not sure we would need Baskett then. They are similar players IMO. Avery will be one starter next year. That leaves one other spot which should not be a problem filling with Burton ,Stanley, and Barden. If we signed a WR via free agency a guy like Looker would not be bad to go with the 4 young WR's. He would be a good 3rd or 4th WR. He reminds me of a poor mans Proehl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Gordo Post Game Chat
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -11-03-2008, 02:27 PM
  2. Gordo Post Game Chat
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -09-08-2008, 08:23 AM
  3. Jim Thomas Live Tuesday, September 2
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -09-02-2008, 06:59 PM
  4. Jim Thomas Live: 4/15/08
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -04-15-2008, 07:35 PM
  5. J. Thomas Live, 12-27
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -12-28-2007, 11:46 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •