MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

jBranch losing momentum ...

Todd McShay ESPN insiders:

Michigan Wolverines (March 16)
    Michigan DT Alan Branch is losing some momentum as the draft nears. He elected to bolt school early after a productive junior season, and also showed good mobility for his size (6-foot-5, 324 pounds) at the combine. However, with more time to evaluate the full package, several teams I've spoken to recently are becoming increasingly concerned about his bust potential.

There's no question Branch possesses the rare physical tools to make an impact in the NFL, but he takes too many plays off on film and hasn't been overly impressive during private interviews with some teams. It also didn't help matters that he showed up at Michigan's recent on-campus workout in noticeably worse shape than a few weeks earlier at the combine.

More than anything, there seems to be a concern that Branch is capable of gaining too much weight and becoming even less motivated once he collects a paycheck at the next level. While Branch is too talented to fall out of the first round, it wouldn't surprise me if 19-year-old Amobi Okoye (Louisville) winds up as the first defensive tackle taken in next month's draft.

Country is offline Registered User

Re: jBranch losing momentum ...

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Todd McShay ESPN insiders:

Michigan Wolverines (March 16)
    Michigan DT Alan Branch is losing some momentum as the draft nears. He elected to bolt school early after a productive junior season, and also showed good mobility for his size (6-foot-5, 324 pounds) at the combine. However, with more time to evaluate the full package, several teams I've spoken to recently are becoming increasingly concerned about his bust potential.

There's no question Branch possesses the rare physical tools to make an impact in the NFL, but he takes too many plays off on film and hasn't been overly impressive during private interviews with some teams. It also didn't help matters that he showed up at Michigan's recent on-campus workout in noticeably worse shape than a few weeks earlier at the combine.

More than anything, there seems to be a concern that Branch is capable of gaining too much weight and becoming even less motivated once he collects a paycheck at the next level. While Branch is too talented to fall out of the first round, it wouldn't surprise me if 19-year-old Amobi Okoye (Louisville) winds up as the first defensive tackle taken in next month's draft.
    This is the story of Alan Branch and the exact reason that the Rams should avoid him and grab a guy without the baggage. I would rather have a strater foir the next 10 years than a possible superstar/bust.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Branch losing momentum ...

Alan Branch. I'd like to see one of those interviews, especially a recent one, where he might comment on these types of derogatory observations, to see how he responds.

How nice then that we could get Okoye or Carriker at 13. [I know, I know. ]

txramsfan is offline Registered User

wait a week Jorge.....they'll have him feeding the homeless and helping cure cancer, then the next week he'll be up for racketeering charges.

What's fun about the draft for me is all sociological. Someone sees one side of a person and reports on that while someone else sees another side and focuses on that. There was a post earlier where someone found an article about Branch skyrocketing up the draft board due to him being able to control his weight while this article says he can't control his weight.

general counsel is offline Registered User

How in the world can you guarantee that someone else that you pick is going to be a starter for the next ten years? These guys all have risk associated with him. If someone wants to make the case for carriker ahead of branch, thats a reasonable argument. I think we all agree that okoye is our first choice. Personally i think okoye will be long gone.

The only real debate for rams fans is whether you pass branch to take a talented guy (ie willis) that doesnt fit our needs as well as branch does, and that is a point on which reasonable people can differ.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    This is the story of Alan Branch and the exact reason that the Rams should avoid him and grab a guy without the baggage.
    Such as Tank "what is this baggage you speak of" Tyler, right?

I would rather have a strater foir the next 10 years than a possible superstar/bust.
    You make it sound like it's easy to pick out those decade-long starters. Make an exact science out of that and you'll be a rich man.

As GC said, every player has risk associated with them. Some more than others. But when your team's biggest need is a huge road grader to clog up the line of scrimmage, when your highly paid middle linebacker depends on that kind of player in front of him to be successful, it's going to be hard to pass up on Branch if he's there (which I still suspect he won't be).

Again though, let's refer back to Pat Kirwan's recent article. He lists Branch as one of six players that he feels shows "a depth of knowledge about the game, a passion and respect for the game, the talent to play it at the highest level and a humility that puts to rest the risk that money and fame will change them in the next few years." And this is based on actually interviewing Branch himself as opposed to picking up things he's heard from others.

Take that - along with this report - for what it's worth.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

There's so many mixed feelings about Branch... you were on the mark TX regarding the weight issues (or lack thereof) and how different people view or report. You also touched on it Nick with Kirwan's comments. There's so many different opinions of Branch by these so-called "experts" I have no idea what to believe. How is it that Branch can be recieving all this praise from Kirwan but he's dropped off Kiper's big board? I guess only time will tell if Alan Branch makes it in the NFL.

RealRam is offline Registered User

As GC said, every player has risk associated with them. Some more than others. But when your team's biggest need is a huge road grader to clog up the line of scrimmage, when your highly paid middle linebacker depends on that kind of player in front of him to be successful, it's going to be hard to pass up on Branch if he's there (which I still suspect he won't be).

Again though, let's refer back to Pat Kirwan's recent article. He lists Branch as one of six players that he feels shows "...a depth of knowledge about the game, a passion and respect for the game, the talent to play it at the highest level and a humility that puts to rest the risk that money and fame will change them in the next few years." And this is based on actually interviewing Branch himself as opposed to picking up things he's heard from others.
    -- Nick
    A good and valid counter point, Nick. I'll just take the advice from TX and wait, and see. I realize that sport writers right now are building up the usual and expected frenzy for NFL D-day and their articles often border on tabloid and topsy-turvy content.

But I also agree that Big Branch will most likely not be available for the Rams.

Country is offline Registered User

1. I know picking the long terms starters is tough, I am trying to say that Okoye and Carriker have a better chance of becoming solid starters than Branch becasue they do not come iwth the same baggage. But Branch has a better chance of becoming a super-star.

I do not think BREnach or Okoye fall to us, that is why I am on the Tank Tyler band wagon.

jesseram Guest

The rams should try to be aggresive this year. Yeah i think that the rams should pass up on Alan Branch i mean what if hes a bust but it could go the other way around i dont know well just have to see

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

1. I know picking the long terms starters is tough, I am trying to say that Okoye and Carriker have a better chance of becoming solid starters than Branch becasue they do not come iwth the same baggage. But Branch has a better chance of becoming a super-star.
    Well for one, our goal in the first round shouldn't be to simply find "solid starters." Additionally, let's not forget that Okoye's stock is very much related to his potential to be great as well.

I do not think BREnach or Okoye fall to us, that is why I am on the Tank Tyler band wagon.
    But my point is if you think the Rams shouldn't grab a guy with baggage, which is what you said earlier, then it doesn't make sense to go after Tyler either.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Revelstoke is offline Registered User

didn't see this posted yet, Graham Bensinger Weekly Conversation from ESPN.com http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=2810691

With our Branch, the guy seems to say alot of the right things, but what i liked the most was this one:

I would love to play anywhere. I just want to put some pads on and play!
    He doesnt seem to have motivational issues, everything i've seen he says he just wants to play.

better yet i like this one:

Bensinger: I heard you had a fun Pro Day. Chiefs' defensive line coach Tim Krumrie worked you out. What do you think of him?

Branch: (laughs) He's a funny, cool guy, but I didn't know what I was getting into (laughs). He knows what he's doing. He knows how to wear guys out. My whole thing was trying not to show that I was tired, even though everybody knew that I was. But I didn't hunch over once. I didn't bend at the waist or put my hands to my knees. I was trying to show that no matter how tired I am, you aren't going to get me to quit.
    Last edited by Revelstoke; -03-24-2007 at 02:51 PM.
    "There's only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand that my players do."
    - Vince Lombardi