Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: JD Clowney anyone?

BarronWade is offline Registered User

JD Clowney anyone?

Let me start by saying my ideal scenario is to trade down from a top 2 pick and still land Jake Mathews

BUTTTT if for any reason the trade value is not there and Clowney and Mathews are on the board and we are making our pick HOW CAN YOU PASS ON CLOWNEY?

The off field concerns are their and we are stacked at DE and also have alot of money tied to the position but CLowney has MONSTER potential...Unless you need a QB you just cannot pass up on the guy

THis team's identity is our D-line why not add to it? Can you imagine Quinn and Clowney lining up side by side running stunts.

What I am saying is if we do stick in the top 2 and Clowney is not the board I think we just have to take him The guy is just too good to pass up and I believe his monster potential outweighs our need on the Oline

*Clowney is only my option if for whatever the reason is we cannot trade down
    Last edited by BarronWade; -12-27-2013 at 04:22 PM.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: JD Clowney anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Let me start by saying my ideal scenario is to trade down from a top 2 pick and still land Jake Mathews

BUTTTT if for any reason the trade value is not there and Clowney and Mathews are on the board and we are making our pick HOW CAN YOU PASS ON CLOWNEY?

The off field concerns are their and we are stacked at DE and also have alot of money tied to the position but CLowney has MONSTER potential...Unless you need a QB you just cannot pass up on the guy

THis team's identity is our D-line why not add to it? Can you imagine Quinn and Clowney lining up side by side running stunts.

What I am saying is if we do stick in the top 2 and Clowney is not the board I dont think we just have to take him The guy is just too good to pass up and I believe his monster potential outweighs our need on the Oline

*Clowney is only my option if for whatever the reason is we cannot trade down
    Huh?? (10 characters)

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

This is hardly a new topic, but I'll chime in once more.

Clowney (his inability to follow traffic rules aside) is a very good prospect at the the position where the Rams have the least amount of need. Don't forget, in addition to Quinn and Long, the Rams have Hayes, which gives them arguably the best 3-man DE rotation in the league.

On the other side of the coin, Matthews is also a very good prospect at what has now become a huge need position.

I really don't see a debate here.
    Randart likes this.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Clowney is a great edge rusher, but we already have one elite edge rusher in Quinn and two good compliments to him (Long & Hayes). I'd much prefer to get a guy that can rush the inside so QBs can't step up and avoid Quinn.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Huh?? (10 characters)
    correction made; thank you

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    This is hardly a new topic, but I'll chime in once more.

Clowney (his inability to follow traffic rules aside) is a very good prospect at the the position where the Rams have the least amount of need. Don't forget, in addition to Quinn and Long, the Rams have Hayes, which gives them arguably the best 3-man DE rotation in the league.

On the other side of the coin, Matthews is also a very good prospect at what has now become a huge need position.

I really don't see a debate here.
    Jake Mathews is a very good prospect and a possible future pro bowler

JD Clowney is a monster prospect...Just watching some of the plays he makes puts you in awe

Yes we have a very good 3 man DE but that is our identity...it kinda like how the giants built up their strength was their D-line yet they kept drafting guys and adding players to fortify that line

As good as Mathews can make this team (I think he can solidify the O-line) Clowney can absolutely man handle O-lineman and hit qbs and knock RBs helmets off...Regardless of position this guy is a once in 5-10 year type player just cannot pass on a guy like that

Monster Potential; freakish size; high level production...how do you pass that up?

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Clowney is a great edge rusher, but we already have one elite edge rusher in Quinn and two good compliments to him (Long & Hayes). I'd much prefer to get a guy that can rush the inside so QBs can't step up and avoid Quinn.
    Clowney can be plugged in next to Quinn on the inside; I remember the giants used 4 DE set on third downs the year they won the SB...we would have to see if he can hold up vs. guards on 1st and 2nd down for the run game thou

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Monster Potential; freakish size; high level production...how do you pass that up?
    Easily, because the Rams already have an All Pro caliber end in Quinn, a great strong side end in Long, and a very capable back-up in Hayes. It is arguably the strongest position on the team, and unlike the Giants of years past, the Rams have not had the kind of sustained success in recent years to make luxury picks.

You may disagree, but I think the argument for the Rams passing on Clowney is both clear and valid. It's not as if it's some mystery as to how a team could do it. In fact, I would not be surprised if a team with lesser talent than the Rams' at DE end up passing on Clowney, if the concerns about his attitude and work ethic end up being true and proven in interviews and background checks.

Jake Mathews is a very good prospect and a possible future pro bowler

JD Clowney is a monster prospect...Just watching some of the plays he makes puts you in awe

Yes we have a very good 3 man DE but that is our identity...it kinda like how the giants built up their strength was their D-line yet they kept drafting guys and adding players to fortify that line

As good as Mathews can make this team (I think he can solidify the O-line) Clowney can absolutely man handle O-lineman and hit qbs and knock RBs helmets off...Regardless of position this guy is a once in 5-10 year type player just cannot pass on a guy like that

I fail to see what makes Clowney a better prospect than Matthews.

This year, Clowney's numbers are: 35 tackles, 3 sacks.

Not exactly jaw dropping. In fact, seems to me that a lot of OTs have been handling him this year, resulting in something short of "high level production."

As for "freakish size," he's 6'6, 274. I wouldn't call that "freakish."

Maybe he'll be a great DE, but we don't need another DE. We do need an OT.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I fail to see what makes Clowney a better prospect than Matthews.

This year, Clowney's numbers are: 35 tackles, 3 sacks.

Not exactly jaw dropping. In fact, seems to me that a lot of OTs have been handling him this year, resulting in something short of "high level production."

As for "freakish size," he's 6'6, 274. I wouldn't call that "freakish."

Maybe he'll be a great DE, but we don't need another DE. We do need an OT.
    Clowney is freakish in size when you consider a 6'6 274 lb man running a 4.4 40 yard dash.

THE DREAM TEAM

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Welcome to the click Bdub. Clowney is a special player man. He is sheerly dominant and makes OC's fear him. He truly is a game changer and makes these guys design plays that go away from him. Clowney is a man that can take over a game with his sheer dominance. He's a special player, and if he lives up to anything near his potential (Julius Peppers+), he'll be a great pick.

Long hasn't been as productive and is now edging on 29 years old on a massive contract. Hayes has the same age but he is a role player that shouldn't really affect much. The reality is, if Long isn't effective next year, what do we do? Then we suddenly need a DE and passed up on a "once in a lifetime prospect".

I'd happily sit at #2 and take Clowney.

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    The reality is, if Long isn't effective next year, what do we do? Then we suddenly need a DE and passed up on a "once in a lifetime prospect".
    Then we find another prospect whom we like that can be groomed to replace Long as a strong side end. If recent drafts are any indication, there are typically not a shortage of pass rushers to be picked from.

It's interesting that some people keep using the Giants as a comparison to a team that will draft pass rushers despite already having some, but how many "once in a lifetime" Top Five picks did they spend on those pass rushers? None.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

If Clowney can help protect Bradford and keep him upright with time to throw, along with creating running lanes for Stacy, I'm all for making him a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Clowney is freakish in size when you consider a 6'6 274 lb man running a 4.4 40 yard dash.
    I'm sorry... did the Combine take place early this year?

No?

So when did he run a 4.40?

I'm sure that there have been Twitter rumors regarding his 40 time, but I'll wait for an actual verified time, if you don't mind.

I'm still waiting for one of the Clowney fans to explain to me how a once in a generation prospect, with freakish size and speed, manages only 3 sacks in his final showcase season before he enters the draft.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -12-27-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Rambos is online now Registered User

I'm kind of surprised that so many fans are down on Long. He was hurt at the start of the year. He's played ok. He never misses any time and has always been a force even when he's not getting sacks.

I can't see the Rams staying at two and talking any player when we have no real depth. If Clowney was a DT and was compared to Suh I could see that.

citr92 is offline Registered User

don't buy the hype still

and his work ethic would need to change dramatically for me to even think about it

no

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast