Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: JD Clowney anyone?

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: JD Clowney anyone?

Two Words.... YES PLEASE!!!!!!

DE_Ramfan is online now Registered User

Drafting Clowney would be like buying another loaf of bread when what you need is cheese and then wondering why you don't have a sandwich. But man, look at all that bread.
    Rammed and GolfnRAMFAN like this.

Mikey is offline Registered User

I'll pass. Our pass rush is the only part of our team that can truly be called elite. We have so many other areas that really could use an upgrade that it makes no sense to add icing to that cake and leave the rest in need of help. Of our five starting OLine at the beginning of the year only two are even active and one is in his third position of the season. Long, Wells and Dahl have missed significant playing time over the past three seasons. Saffold is a free agent who will probably get paid double what he deserves with his injury history, yes he's also missed playing time three straight years. Our truly only consistent spot this year has been the LG spot. Which has been so good that Fisher rotated two people in and out from series to series most of the year. Joe Barksdale has been decent in pass protection since he took over for Saffold when he went down. But he's been well below acceptable in run blocking. Look back at Stacy and Cunningham's runs that were successful and the vast majority of them were up the middle or to the left. Our LG rotation and Saffold are all free agents. The only ones under contract next year are Barksdale and the injury prone Wells, Long and Dahl. Barnes is an ERFA if I remember correct. Barret Jones has I believe only been active two weeks and seen no offensive snaps.

Our "new" offensive game plan is heavy run. We need a stable OLine to be good with that for a 16 game season. Sam wasn't hurt by a pass rush but he was evading it and out of the pocket. If we want to keep him healthy and the run game successful the OLine needs serious attention. So yes I'd be ok seeing Clowney in a Rams uniform even though I have serious questions about him, I don't want to see us do it at the expense of the OLine that needs serious attention.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

The thing is, things in the NFL happen, and they happen quick. I'm sure a lot of Giants fans were clamoring and angry when they took JPP, but guess what? Just 1 year later a pro bowl player like Osi Umenyiora hits the wall with injuries and isn't as effective, and is let go. Now Tuck is on his way out. Who would have thought they'd let all these guys walk?

There are plenty of instances where a team takes a "luxury" and then a year or two that "luxury" turns into a starter and seems like a good call. Clowney is a great prospect in my eyes and has even greater potential. Either you see it or you don't. There is no gray area, but with the #2 pick in the draft, you better damn nail that pick.

I'm not against trading down with all that being said though. Trading down is always an interesting idea. We can slide down with the Browns and try to grab both of their 1st rounders next year. That would allow us to take an OT (position of need with Long down), CB/S, WR, DT, or even OLB. We'd have much more flexibility with three first rounders, though I wouldn't at all mind sitting at 2 and taking a guy like Clowney.

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    There are plenty of instances where a team takes a "luxury"
    With the second overall pick? Please, let's hear some.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Let me start by saying Chris Long is a Ram and we should not be anticipating any shortcomings of him next year and this year he is having a solid season (might not show up on the stat sheet but it shows on game film just dont watch him trying to seal an edge)

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I fail to see what makes Clowney a better prospect than Matthews.

This year, Clowney's numbers are: 35 tackles, 3 sacks.

Not exactly jaw dropping. In fact, seems to me that a lot of OTs have been handling him this year, resulting in something short of "high level production."

As for "freakish size," he's 6'6, 274. I wouldn't call that "freakish."

Maybe he'll be a great DE, but we don't need another DE. We do need an OT.
    I was talking about Clowney's previous season where he recorded 13 sacks in 11 regular season games. The guy can flat out get it done...The guy had the huge hype just entering College and just built on that hype with the plays he made in college

Obviously he has fell on some hard times this season but nothing our coaching staff cannot fix; Jeff Fisher will steer (speeding ticket jokes aside)this kid the right way.

Clowney: makes outstanding plays in the run game by blowing helmets off players and gets to QBs at will is a big lean mean dude that can run like a TE...And has no ceiling when it comes to potential...Prospects like him come once every 5 years

Mathews: Very good solid prospects killer intangibles; definitely a safer pick with great bloodlines. But tackles like him come out every year including Taylor Lewan in this years draft and he does not have the monster potential CLowney does

I understand our DE is our strongest unit from top to bottom; but we have great defensive coaches that can get Clowney, Quinn, Long, Brockers, and Hayes productively playing together

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Easily, because the Rams already have an All Pro caliber end in Quinn, a great strong side end in Long, and a very capable back-up in Hayes. It is arguably the strongest position on the team, and unlike the Giants of years past, the Rams have not had the kind of sustained success in recent years to make luxury picks.

You may disagree, but I think the argument for the Rams passing on Clowney is both clear and valid. It's not as if it's some mystery as to how a team could do it. In fact, I would not be surprised if a team with lesser talent than the Rams' at DE end up passing on Clowney, if the concerns about his attitude and work ethic end up being true and proven in interviews and background checks.
    I wouldn't consider it a luxury pick its more of Identity Clinching pick ...Building on your strength that is what it is our team is know for our D-line that is how we won games this year so why not give it another beast we have blown out winning teams because our Dline play

We are building on our stregnth and establishing the RAMS attacking D Identity.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    I wouldn't consider it a luxury pick its more of Identity Clinching pick
    You say po-tay-to, I say po-tah-to.

You're not going to convince me that drafting Clowney when we already have Quinn and Long as excellent starters and Hayes as quality depth isn't the very definition of a luxury pick, sorry.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why such an outstanding prospect has been so ineffective this year.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    The thing is, things in the NFL happen, and they happen quick. I'm sure a lot of Giants fans were clamoring and angry when they took JPP, but guess what? Just 1 year later a pro bowl player like Osi Umenyiora hits the wall with injuries and isn't as effective, and is let go. Now Tuck is on his way out. Who would have thought they'd let all these guys walk?

There are plenty of instances where a team takes a "luxury" and then a year or two that "luxury" turns into a starter and seems like a good call. Clowney is a great prospect in my eyes and has even greater potential. Either you see it or you don't. There is no gray area, but with the #2 pick in the draft, you better damn nail that pick.

I'm not against trading down with all that being said though. Trading down is always an interesting idea. We can slide down with the Browns and try to grab both of their 1st rounders next year. That would allow us to take an OT (position of need with Long down), CB/S, WR, DT, or even OLB. We'd have much more flexibility with three first rounders, though I wouldn't at all mind sitting at 2 and taking a guy like Clowney.
    I agree it was a nice pick. He ended up stepping up and when needed has contributed wonderfully. But then the Giants also have one of the worst OLines in the league and a secondary that looks like swiss cheese.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I'm all for picking up Clowney but with every knucklehead traffic violation he gets I'm leaning less and less likely in that direction.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Not exactly with the #2 pick, but I believe you know what I mean. Is it a worthy reason to take Clowney? Maybe not. But I'm taking Clowney because he's a special prospect, not because I believe our current DE's will fall off.

THE DREAM TEAM

Trevor is offline Registered User

I don't buy the Clowney hype, he has had a down year this year and has not produced like he did last year, the same could be said for Quinn because didn't he miss most of his last season? However, the Rams already have the mighty Quinn who is not that much older than Clowney and Quinn is proven. So is Chris Long. Don't forget that the Rams still have Brockers who is coming along nicely. I think the defensive line is set as it is. Draft an oline.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I like Clowney, but personally I would much rather have that Barr kid out of UCLA. He fits a need at huge OLB, and I think he's going to be one of the best players from this draft class when it's all said and done. I know most people wouldn't agree with the Rams selecting a player who they think will only play the first two downs on defense, but I think Barr is good enough to make an impact on defense on 3rd down too, whether its by rushing the QB or dropping back into coverage. Besides OLB, the only other positions of need on defense are Safety and maybe CB. I honestly don't think this year's Safety class is very good (Clinton-Dix is slightly above-average in my book), and with JJ and Trumaine starting any CB we draft would most likely only play on passing downs anyways. A linebacking corp of Barr-Laurinaitis-Ogletree would arguably be the best LB trio in the league, and with our dominant defensive line our front seven would be upper echelon as well.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    correction made; thank you

Jake Mathews is a very good prospect and a possible future pro bowler

JD Clowney is a monster prospect...Just watching some of the plays he makes puts you in awe

Yes we have a very good 3 man DE but that is our identity...it kinda like how the giants built up their strength was their D-line yet they kept drafting guys and adding players to fortify that line

As good as Mathews can make this team (I think he can solidify the O-line) Clowney can absolutely man handle O-lineman and hit qbs and knock RBs helmets off...Regardless of position this guy is a once in 5-10 year type player just cannot pass on a guy like that

Monster Potential; freakish size; high level production...how do you pass that up?
    Who do you sit? Long and his huge contract? Brockers or Langford on run downs? We're not good enough to draft a guy who will either sit half the time or make Long sit half the time. If he's that great, you trade the pick and move on (because Long is un-tradeble really).