Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: JD Clowney anyone?

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Re: JD Clowney anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    I don't know how anyone watching this Seattle game could possibly say we should draft another defensive end over an offensive lineman. I don't care how good Clowney is if we can't run the ball and protect the QB we'll be 7-9 again next year.
    Firstly, we have two first round picks. Just because we take Clowney at #2 does not mean we don't take another OT with our other pick, as this class is deep with offensive lineman.

And well, yeah, when you lose the #5 rated LT in the game especially in the run you're going to feel it.

What I would prefer the Rams do is sign a vet OT during FA and have him as an emergency LT if Long can't go, and have him perform as a swing tackle once Long is ready to go.

THE DREAM TEAM

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Long is among the league leaders in sacks, pressures and QB hits over the past several seasons.
    Chris Long's stats since 2008:

2008 - 4.0 sacks (tied for 70th with 18 others)
    2009 - 5.0 sacks (tied for 59th with 14 others)
    2010 - 8.5 sacks (tied for 24th with 5 others)
    2011 - 13.0 sacks (7th in NFL)
    2012 - 11.5 sacks (tied for 9th with 5 others)
    2013 - 7.5 sacks (tied for 37th with 7 others)

Couldn't find the stats for QB pressures or hits, but after seeing his sack stats the only time he was even close to being a league leader was in 2011 when he was tied for 7th and in 2012 when he was tied for 9th. Like I was saying he's a good player, but in no way would I consider him excellent… now his dad was excellent

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    I've put the stats up before. If you look at his overall numbers in the last four seasons COMBINED, he is among the league's best.

Use whatever adjective you want.

I've put the stats up before. If you look at his overall numbers in the last four seasons COMBINED, he is among the league's best.

Use whatever adjective you want.
    Well I tend to look at things on a year-by-year basis, and after six years in the league Long as has two really good years and four above-average years. But if Chris Long is excellent in your eyes, I just wonder what you consider top-notch players like Robert Quinn, DeMarcus Ware, and JJ Watt

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post

Well I tend to look at things on a year-by-year basis, and after six years in the league Long as has two really good years and four above-average years. But if Chris Long is excellent in your eyes, I just wonder what you consider top-notch players like Robert Quinn, DeMarcus Ware, and JJ Watt
    Elite players.

Elite players.
    Okay I think I'm getting it now; the top players are Elite players, followed by Amazing players, then Excellent players, then Great players, then Good players, and then Above-Average players… I really wish I had your grading scale in high school lol
    SportsDude likes this.

Okay I think I'm getting it now; the top players are Elite players, followed by Amazing players, then Excellent players, then Great players, then Good players, and then Above-Average players… I really wish I had your grading scale in high school lol
    Players who excel at their craft are excellent players.

It's called a dictionary. Buy one.

Players who excel at their craft are excellent players.

It's called a dictionary. Buy one.
    Who still owns a dictionary, that's what google is for lol. Seriously though, who am I to argue on what your definition of an excellent player is, your opinion is your opinion. In my opinion an excellent player is a player at the top of his position, and even though CL is good I wouldn't consider him an upper echelon player at his position.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Unless you need a QB you just cannot pass up on the guy
    I hate to be the one to say it, but our quarterback who was having a year that looked like it would rank maybe average to slightly above average compared to other starters around the league just missed half a season with an injury. I'm just saying that if they did use a first round pick to draft a quarterback, they wouldn't be the first team to do so under those kinds of circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I hate to be the one to say it, but our quarterback who was having a year that looked like it would rank maybe average to slightly above average compared to other starters around the league just missed half a season with an injury. I'm just saying that if they did use a first round pick to draft a quarterback, they wouldn't be the first team to do so under those kinds of circumstances.
    To be fair, Sam was on a pace to have a well above average year.

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

To be fair, Sam was on a pace to have a well above average year.
    ... or was he having a great year? Or an excellent year? it's becoming abundantly clear in this thread that you need to choose your adjectives VERY carefully, pal.
    Vinnie25 likes this.

Mikey is offline Registered User

At this point I don't care if we draft Clowney or not. Personally I'd pass but as long as we address the OLine and secondary with some quality I'll be happy.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

If, for instance, the Rams were deciding between Matthews and Clowney, I think it would boil down to need vs. value

Obviously the bigger need of the two is OT.

However, I don't think it would be too surprising if the Rams valued Clowney so highly over Matthews that they choose Clowney instead.

Fisher has yet to draft an OL in the first round and the Rams brass, so far, loves to use their first rounders on elite athletes with sky-high ceilings.

I don't think the Rams taking Matthews over Clowney is as clear-cut as many here think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    At this point I don't care if we draft Clowney or not. Personally I'd pass but as long as we address the OLine and secondary with some quality I'll be happy.
    Yeah I'm confused as to why Janoris has taken such a step back this year. Last year he looked like the steal of the draft, and this year he's getting burned by the likes of Golden Tate and Anquan Boldin. Trumain has looked bad this year also, and don't even get me started on Cortland Finnegan and Brandon McGee. I'm not sure if it's the scheme (why have them play 10 yards off the line so much Walton?) or if they just weren't that good to begin with, but something has to change.

SportsDude is offline Registered User

Yeah I'm confused as to why Janoris has taken such a step back this year. Last year he looked like the steal of the draft, and this year he's getting burned by the likes of Golden Tate and Anquan Boldin. Trumain has looked bad this year also, and don't even get me started on Cortland Finnegan and Brandon McGee. I'm not sure if it's the scheme (why have them play 10 yards off the line so much Walton?) or if they just weren't that good to begin with, but something has to change.
    The biggest problem with our secondary is the Safeties.
    Bar-bq likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Also, craig dahl still sucks.