Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mde8352gorams

Thread: The Jeff Fisher/Jake Matthews connection

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Jeff Fisher/Jake Matthews connection

Most draftniks currently have Jake Matthews, Texas A&M, as the top OT in the 2014 NFL Draft.

The Rams could be in a position to draft Matthews, and OT is generally viewed as a need position. Matthews could immediately replace Saffold/Barksdale at RT, and would be the heir apparent at LT when its time to replace Jake Long.

One thing is fairly certain: Jeff Fisher will not need to check into Jake's family history.

As most are aware, Jake is the son of Hall of Fame OT Bruce Matthews. Bruce, of course, played under Jeff Fisher in Houston/Tennessee (1994-2001), and was a starter on the Titans' Super Bowl team that lost to the Rams. Bruce was also a college teammate of Fisher's at USC.

It almost seems like it is Jake's destiny to play for the Rams.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: The Jeff Fisher/Jake Matthews connection

As we saw in the last draft with TJ McDonald, Jeff Fisher takes these matters very seriously. I agree that for Jake Mathews Jeff would break his rule of not drafting OL in the first round. I think he would be a great pick.

Go Rams!
    Randart likes this.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Good points all.....the problem as I see it is that unless Washington just tanks the rest of the season we will not be in a high enough position to select Jake.

As of now I have him going 3rd and no lower than 4th in this draft. Lotsa stuff could happen between now and May but we will probably need to move up higher to have a chance at him.

WHAT SAY YE?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think it depends on how many QBs come out and are viewed as Top 5 prospects. It likely that there will be at least two (Teddy Bridgewater, Marcus Mariota). Jadaveon Clowney is also a strong candidate for a Top 5 selection.

The Redskins' pick could be as high as the 3rd or 4th selection, so I think we could have a shot.

Randart is offline Registered User

Would be nice to draft this Jake, then we have, 'Two Jakes for St. Louis' (sounds like a film title).
    Who knows maybe it will be a film someday! As you guys mention Fish likes to keep things in a family and familiar vein so this pick makes sense on many levels! Then just need to add a guard later on in the draft and our line should be really molding into something strong for the 5 year push... Go Rams!

Ah that is I mean go Skins keep skidding down to the dixie dregs and deliver that top 3 to 5 pic for us!